Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 04:20 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
It's very typical, it's just not as sunny as this year. Chicago becomes warmer than western WA and OR in late May. Another thing, Eastern WA and OR are significantly warmer than the Midwest starting in March. These places see 60F in March and 70F+ degrees in April very often.
Seattle had one day above 70 in March. And all of the Midwest does not have the same weather. KC for example had about 13 days above 70 in March, 1 above 80, and a ton of days in the 60s or above. And this is all after a "cold" Midwest winter. I'd say early spring weather in a large part of the Midwest is better than the PNW. More variable sure.

March Weather for Seattle Boeing, WA | Weather Underground

March Weather for Kansas City, MO | Weather Underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:17 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States

Actually Bend doesn't see highs above 62F average until June 1! I think people underrate how cold eastern Oregon and Washington are. Their annual means are nearly as low as the ones in Minnesota in many areas. I would say Seneca, OR is probably colder than Minneapolis on average, for example, year round.
Bend is in the mountains. Look at Pasco, WA, Yakima, Pendleton, OR

Old 04-18-2015, 10:26 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
Bend is in the mountains. Look at Pasco, WA, Yakima, Pendleton, OR
Bend isn't in the mountains, it's more like on a plateau/high plains woodland. But you're right it's warmer in the lowlands; they still have somewhat cold winters there though. The difference in elevation between Spokane and Minneapolis is only about 1000 feet too; it's fairly negligible really.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:03 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I dunno, I would personally say Phoenix is worse. I don't do heat and it's hot there pretty much all year! You can always put on a parka but in the heat you're screwed if you have to be outside or the AC breaks.

You have a point here, parts of Arizona are truly brutal in the summer. I would not want to live in either place, too extreme.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:37 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Seattle had one day above 70 in March. And all of the Midwest does not have the same weather. KC for example had about 13 days above 70 in March, 1 above 80, and a ton of days in the 60s or above. And this is all after a "cold" Midwest winter. I'd say early spring weather in a large part of the Midwest is better than the PNW. More variable sure.

Kansas City is way farther south than WA, almost at the latitude of San Francisco.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:19 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,936 times
NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, Columbus, and Indianapolis aren't that bad compared to Boston, Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Des Moines, and Minneapolis.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:38 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Kansas City is way farther south than WA, almost at the latitude of San Francisco.
Yeah that's my point. You said the PNW is "significantly warmer" than the Midwest when in reality the Midwest is a pretty vast region with different types of weather patterns.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:00 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
Yeah that's my point. You said the PNW is "significantly warmer" than the Midwest when in reality the Midwest is a pretty vast region with different types of weather patterns.
People don't really understand the Pacific Northwest's climate. It's very diverse, for one thing. The Coast is chilly all year, the valleys are chilly most of the year but hot for 1-4 months, the mountains are cold and snowy but still somewhat moderated in temperature, the eastside is cold and arid but generally shielded from Arctic fronts so it rarely gets extremely cold, it's still capable of it though. Seneca, Oregon is not the top of a mountain and actually qualifies as a subarctic climate.

One often forgets Oregon/Washington is the same latitude as Ontario and Quebec.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:13 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,490 times
Quote:

Same with Omaha. Most days were in the 60s and 70s. A couple above 80.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:16 AM

522 posts, read 694,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
It all depends on where in the Midwest. In southern Indiana or Illinois spring is much nicer and comes earlier. However if your sitting in Grand Rapids Michigan or Duluth Minnesota then you may be shoveling snow as late as early May. Yes I said May. Many people just don't realize how harsh winter can be in the upper Midwest. There are places up there that wont see leaves on their trees until mid May, and last year those pictures of ice on Lake Superior for Memorial day weekend are worth a thousand words concerning their climate. That does not mean there is never nice weather in April, but cool damp or even cold weather is still common in the Spring up there. By far its the toughest climate in the lower 48.
Beautiful Summers up in Grand Rapids, though. However short they may be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.