U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2015, 11:49 PM
 
Location: Red Hook, NY
40 posts, read 29,468 times
Reputation: 40

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving the Hudson Valley. We have talked about a few places that have caught our eyes. I have a masters in computer science from SUNY New Paltz and my wife has a masters in teaching. Combined, we make around $150K annually. We could spend up to around 400K. A few places that we talked about were:

Buffalo, NY - Looks like a nice place, plus my favorite NFL + NHL teams play there.
Pittsburgh, PA - Always liked the Steel City and have a cousin there.
Cincinnati, OH - Drove to Cincinnati for my wife's sister's wedding.
Hartford, CT - Beat choice family-wise. Lots of my family moved to CT.

Does anyone know anything about those 4 cities and which would best for my wife and I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2015, 06:45 AM
 
56,551 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12490
Cincinnati isn't in the Northeast. What about Albany, New Haven, Rochester, Springfield, Worcester, Syracuse, Harrisburg, Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and perhaps Providence? Those metros seem to fit in terms of what you said you were looking for and there are some smaller areas that may fit as well.

What are you looking for in a community/neighborhood/area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2015, 06:06 PM
 
Location: USA
2,753 posts, read 2,217,387 times
Reputation: 2135
With 150k you will do just fine in the Hartford area. There are many great towns and communities. You get a mix of urban, suburban, and rural life. Avon, Simsbury, and West Hartford are all great choices. Though the Cost of living is somewhat high, you get a lot for your buck. You get one of the best school systems in the country, high quality of life, low crime, great location (between NYC and Boston), close to grocery stores and malls. Buffalo's job market isn't too great. Pittsburgh as well. Both have lost population recently. Cincinnati is ok but it's out there. You are a little farther from other major cities than Hartford is. Hartford's job market is decent. It could be better though. It has great potential. There are many companies expanding here as well. Hartford is one of those cities where once somewhere retires they move down south. Then new young employees take over tbose positions. There aren't many cities in the northeast that have great attributes but the Hartford area does. Though I'm not saying that because I live in Hartford.

New Haven, Providence, Syracuse, Rochester, and Albany are also good choices. Not so much for Springfield though. Worcester has its edges as well but the suburbs there are decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2015, 06:53 PM
 
56,551 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12490
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
With 150k you will do just fine in the Hartford area. There are many great towns and communities. You get a mix of urban, suburban, and rural life. Avon, Simsbury, and West Hartford are all great choices. Though the Cost of living is somewhat high, you get a lot for your buck. You get one of the best school systems in the country, high quality of life, low crime, great location (between NYC and Boston), close to grocery stores and malls. Buffalo's job market isn't too great. Pittsburgh as well. Both have lost population recently. Cincinnati is ok but it's out there. You are a little farther from other major cities than Hartford is. Hartford's job market is decent. It could be better though. It has great potential. There are many companies expanding here as well. Hartford is one of those cities where once somewhere retires they move down south. Then new young employees take over tbose positions. There aren't many cities in the northeast that have great attributes but the Hartford area does. Though I'm not saying that because I live in Hartford.

New Haven, Providence, Syracuse, Rochester, and Albany are also good choices. Not so much for Springfield though. Worcester has its edges as well but the suburbs there are decent.
Buffalo and Pittsburgh are seeing some degree of revitalization. So, things seem to be looking up for both of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2015, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Joisey
65 posts, read 50,216 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Buffalo and Pittsburgh are seeing some degree of revitalization. So, things seem to be looking up for both of them.
Pittsburgh isn't just on the upswing, it's very revitalized now. It ranks as the most livable city in a few of those quality of life surveys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2015, 07:44 PM
 
Location: USA
2,753 posts, read 2,217,387 times
Reputation: 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Buffalo and Pittsburgh are seeing some degree of revitalization. So, things seem to be looking up for both of them.
Kind of off topic but what revitalization projects are going on in Buffalo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2015, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,416 posts, read 11,917,166 times
Reputation: 10536
My first question for you would be what are you looking for? If you're looking for city living, there's no doubt in my mind that Pittsburgh is the best city on the list. I've lived out here for ten years, and It's really a great, affordable, urban city. I'm from Connecticut, and the state has nothing that can touch it, except for a few neighborhoods in New Haven. Hartford is basically a bunch office buildings ringed by highways, with low-income black neighborhoods to the north, low-income latino neighborhoods to the south, and one decent residential neighborhood in the west end. Pittsburgh has a number of dense, walkable residential neighborhoods within city limits - many of which are full of middle-class and upper-middle class people. I have less experience with Buffalo and Cincinnati, but they fall between these two extremes.

If you want to live in the suburbs, well, you can do that anywhere with little difference IMHO. But you'll get a whole lot more house for your money in any of the other options besides Hartford. We just bought our second house out here. It's a six-bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2,300 square foot house built in 1905 with intact original wood work, stained glass, etc. It's in a very stable middle class neighborhood with a lot of kids. We spent about $240,000 on it. Back home in Connecticut a house like ours would have cost easily twice that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2015, 08:50 PM
 
56,551 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12490
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Kind of off topic but what revitalization projects are going on in Buffalo?
Look up the Buffalo Billion: Tracking the Buffalo Billion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Auburn, New York
1,775 posts, read 2,510,935 times
Reputation: 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barthur329 View Post
My wife and I are considering moving the Hudson Valley. We have talked about a few places that have caught our eyes. I have a masters in computer science from SUNY New Paltz and my wife has a masters in teaching. Combined, we make around $150K annually. We could spend up to around 400K. A few places that we talked about were:

Buffalo, NY - Looks like a nice place, plus my favorite NFL + NHL teams play there.
Pittsburgh, PA - Always liked the Steel City and have a cousin there.
Cincinnati, OH - Drove to Cincinnati for my wife's sister's wedding.
Hartford, CT - Beat choice family-wise. Lots of my family moved to CT.

Does anyone know anything about those 4 cities and which would best for my wife and I?
I didn't know Sabers fans existed...I digress.

Anyway, to answer your question, depending on your taste, Pittsburgh or Buffalo would work best. Both cities offer more than Cincinnati and Hartford.

Between the two, I'd say that Buffalo beats Pittsburgh in terms of cost of living, art, music, and culture. Buffalo is also significantly snowier than Pittsburgh and has worse urban decay. Pittsburgh beats Buffalo in terms of natural beauty and recreation, but is also more expensive. However, given your budget, I don't think that'll be an issue.

Buffalo has better urban neighborhoods than Pittsburgh, but Pittsburgh has better suburban neighborhoods than Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 AM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
Reputation: 14655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Between the two, I'd say that Buffalo beats Pittsburgh in terms of ... culture.
Please elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Buffalo has better urban neighborhoods than Pittsburgh...
Again, please elaborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top