U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 02:06 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,368,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are these "cool" cities actually this way throughout the whole city though or is it a matter of relative degree?
I imagine not. For example, KC's "cool areas" are limited strictly to the western half of the city. The Paseo is a large boulevard dissecting the city which is the very clear line of demarcation. North and South are suburban and sprawling and the east side is largely garden variety urban blight and decay with pockets of decent to nice areas. I will say though that the nice areas on the west side are very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 02:06 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,915,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Affordable and cool:

Nashville
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Columbus
Pittsburgh
Minneapolis
St Louis

Other honorable mentions:
Lexington
Boise
Kansas City
Lexington where I have lived for the past years is affordable but its not cool, its a boring bland city. Nashville is pretty cool and affordable so I will agree with you on that.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:07 PM

252 posts, read 269,999 times
how can a city with a major college be that boring and bland.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:24 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,915,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Student View Post
how can a city with a major college be that boring and bland.
If you lived here you would know

Old 04-19-2015, 07:25 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,055,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Minneapolis is hardly affordable. Its the 2nd most expensive city in the midwest to Chicago.
If you swapped it out with Indianapolis then your list would be spot on.
I think it depends on the individual's perception of expensive. You can rent a decent 1br in one of the more interesting parts of the city for $700 a month. If you are coming from the coasts that sounds like a steal. If you are coming from the even cheaper parts of the Midwest it may sound like a bit much. The priciest apartments in the city are the new luxury apartments in Uptown and Downtown, and they are definitely expensive, but the pre war brick walkups are significantly cheaper. You can also still buy houses in NE Minneapolis for less than $100k, try that in Williamsburg.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:33 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,368,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I think it depends on the individual's perception of expensive. You can rent a decent 1br in one of the more interesting parts of the city for $700 a month. If you are coming from the coasts that sounds like a steal. If you are coming from the even cheaper parts of the Midwest it may sound like a bit much. The priciest apartments in the city are the new luxury apartments in Uptown and Downtown, and they are definitely expensive, but the pre war brick walkups are significantly cheaper. You can also still buy houses in NE Minneapolis for less than $100k, try that in Williamsburg.
Wow, I didn't realize Minneapolis was that cheap. In KC you can't live downtown for under $1000-1200/mo unless you are in an income-restricted place. In the outer popular neighborhoods under $700 is pretty difficult to come by though doable. I paid $850 for a 1br in Westport (one of the popular neighborhoods) and it was nice (stainless steel appliances, in unit W/D, patio, etc), but small.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:35 PM

You can't rent in Downtown or Uptown for $700 a month, but you can in Whittier, Stevens Square, Powderhorn, Seward or Northeast - all areas that are within a mile or two of downtown. Those areas are all fairly bohemian in nature. You would likely be getting an apartment from the '20s or the '70s. The '20 apartments have barebones kitchens with no dishwashers but often have hardwood floors and unique finishes. The '70s apartments are generally not updated but have nice layouts and more modern appliances. Stainless steel appliances and W/D in the unit puts you into the luxury apartment range. I've always lived in 1920s brick walk ups and I've never even had a dishwasher but I think that is fairly normal for city apartments here.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 04-19-2015 at 08:47 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 10:50 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,096,192 times
Richmond

Old 04-20-2015, 01:04 AM

As far as the topic of the thread is concerned, Minneapolis isn't really a new cool affordable city. It is an old cool affordable city that has avoided the wholesale culture change and rampantly escalating cost of living of its cohort cities. It is probably because the weather deters transplants to a degree, so the growth that does occur isn't enough to change the fundamental nature of the city.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:50 AM

998 posts, read 882,637 times
Richmond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or