Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 01:42 PM

133 posts, read 221,317 times

Advertisements

There's been a lot of talk about coastal climate change and weird weather. I have even came across a few headlines that have villages sliding away underwater daily. I have even studied the coastline of states that are threatened. However, with all the talk of sinking into the ocean some will not take the warning seriously and refuse to believe that any of it is true. I really don't understand why real estate is still being sold in areas that highly are at risk. Is there anyone that live on the coastlines or even on islands that have been threatened in major way that would reflect climate predictions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 09:22 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
The science behind alot of this isnt set in stone yet, which areas are going to be the most affected? Internationally there are so many places like the maldives that would be a nightmare for the world to lose . In the states people say Miami and south florida and the southeastern coast. I have heard the gulf and the whole atlantic, then I read it is going to be the Pacific?

NYC after sandy was very scary and there were alot of armageddon style images in places but it recovered pretty quickly. Katrina as well was catastrophic and involved horrible development but many areas of new orleans were hardly affected because they built historically for floods. All of the tons of wildfires and the northridge and loma prieta earthquake in california and the floods in the midwest in 1993 are not sea rise but they were unimaginably expensive and involve poor and dumb development, the hurricanes like andrew as well? It is hard to say with climate science which areas are going to be the most affected but you have to start building with more wisdom.

I just dont understand why we arent listening to the dutch and the great engineers of the world especially when it comes to building for sea rise or any sort of floods and earthquakes, one day people are going to realize we need to listen to scientists and engineers and put these trashy real estate developers out of business before it costs us a fortune. Why dont "conservatives" ever talk about the money wasted on bad development and natural disasters, it is astronomical in cost for these natural disasters .

Look at how much this country spends on natural disasters , if that is not government waste when you are told not to build in certain areas and then a natural disaster happens and there is this is this astronomical cost and aid to rebuild, what is?

Last edited by floridanative10; 08-25-2015 at 10:04 PM..

Old 08-25-2015, 09:55 PM

707 posts, read 749,678 times
This is precisely why I elected to live inland and over a mile above sea level.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:51 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
This is precisely why I elected to live inland and over a mile above sea level.
I think 1300' above sea level is good enough for me

The Ohio River would need to be 700 ft higher for me to worry.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:32 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
I'll continue to live right on the coast, but not right on the beach due to erosion. The level isn't rising. The tides still rise and fall to the same points anywhere I've been along the east coast in my life. No difference. I think what some feel is sea level "rising" is nothing more then natural erosion along the beaches. That is what happens when something as powerful as the wind and sea is constantly moving against soft sand. The wind moves the sand further towards the west (here on the US east coast) and the waves fill in, slowly eating away at the ocean side beaches which are actually extending on the bay side. Such is how a barrier island works. And most of the east coast is "protected" by these barrier islands.

New York isn't going to be under water any time within our, our grand kids, our great, great, great, great, great grandkids etc., etc. Neither is Miami, or any other coastal city. And no, a bit of flooding during a hurricane does not count. Hurricanes have been coming and going for many, many years and have significantly altered our coastline, some places for the better, others for the worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.