Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 12:31 PM

522 posts, read 694,451 times

Advertisements

What are your top places that you (as an American) currently have no desire to see? Remember these have to be places you haven't visited yet.

My list is:
-Alabama
-Mississippi
-Texas
-Indiana
-Hawaii
-Kentucky

Old 04-27-2015, 12:34 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
If you haven't visited a place then how do you know that you have no desire to visit it? There are worthwhile cities/towns/destinations in all 50 states.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:58 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
I'll give you Indiana, but the rest of them are interesting.

The only one I really have no desire to visit is Nebraska. I drive through the whole state horizontally a couple of times every year. It's pretty boring. Even Omaha, the big city isn't very nice. It's just full of nasty people who smoke cigarettes.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:00 PM

88 posts, read 144,558 times
Hawaii
California (no desire but I have a family member there in college but I have no choice)
Oregon
Washington
Colorado
New Mexico

States that I have been to that we're duds:
Georgia (hated Atlanta so much)
NC (Charlotte..yuck)
Maryland (Few pretty rich places, mostly ghetto)
DC (same, unimpressive looking and everyone was either pretentious or ghetto)
Illinois (cornfields and urban blight. The Northside of Chicago was nice but not enough to make up for all the yuck. Everything nice about IL besides a very small chunk of Chicago also exists in Indiana with half the crime and blight)
Vermont (you can get all the same scenery and much nicer less communist/yuppie people across the border in New Hampshire)

Old 04-27-2015, 01:03 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
If you haven't visited a place then how do you know that you have no desire to visit it? There are worthwhile cities/towns/destinations in all 50 states.
People are weird. Most people don't even leave their homes nowadays, since they telecommute.

I want to see the whole world personally, even the bottom of the sea (if I could).

Old 04-27-2015, 01:03 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I'll give you Indiana, but the rest of them are interesting.

The only one I really have no desire to visit is Nebraska. I drive through the whole state horizontally a couple of times every year. It's pretty boring. Even Omaha, the big city isn't very nice. It's just full of nasty people who smoke cigarettes.
Indianapolis is a fun city. Also, there are some amazing state parks are forests in the southern third of the state. Also, there are some cheese producers down there doing some neat things. Plus, who can resist a tenderloin sandwich?

Now, Northern Indiana, however.... Besides the dunes, I'm having a hard time thinking of anything worth getting out of the car to see or do.

Anyway, back to the original post, of all the places in the country where I've never been, I'd probably say that I'd be least excited to visit the Texas Panhandle, but I'm sure I could find fun/quirky things to do there.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
New York, NY
Las Vegas, NV

Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 PM

36 posts, read 49,172 times
New York City, Denver, Portland, Seattle, most of California outside of San Diego

Old 04-27-2015, 01:14 PM

88 posts, read 144,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Indianapolis is a fun city. Also, there are some amazing state parks are forests in the southern third of the state. Also, there are some cheese producers down there doing some neat things. Plus, who can resist a tenderloin sandwich?

Now, Northern Indiana, however.... Besides the dunes, I'm having a hard time thinking of anything worth getting out of the car to see or do.

Anyway, back to the original post, of all the places in the country where I've never been, I'd probably say that I'd be least excited to visit the Texas Panhandle, but I'm sure I could find fun/quirky things to do there.
Northern Indiana is probably the best part of Indiana. I would imagine it's not very touristy, but you get all the benefits of being near Chicago like the job market and cultural opportunities, with none of the downsides of Illinois like crazy taxes, corruption, high home prices etc.

You can buy a nice home for 150 grand with $2000 per year taxes and great schools in Dyer, Indiana and have a 25 minute commute to the Loop in DT Chicago..all pluses no minuses.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:30 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
States I have no desire to visit, in no particular order:

-Alabama
-Mississippi
-Arkansas
-Oklahoma
-Missouri
-Iowa
-Nebraska
-North Dakota
-Kansas
-Ohio
-Indiana

If I never return to Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Georgia, or North Carolina, I'll live.

I'd probably only willingly return to Texas for Austin and San Antonio, and Illinois for Chicago.

I have no desire to visit any of the cities in Michigan, but I hear some areas of the state are intensely beautiful such as the Upper Peninsula coastline.

I'm on the fence with regard to Kentucky and West Virginia. I don't like or appreciate the cultures of those states, but I hear they are both very naturally beautiful in many areas. If the opportunity presents itself, perhaps, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.