U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2015, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,132,244 times
Reputation: 7075

Advertisements

The only reason I would want to move to Texas is to be friends with KathrynAragon. I looked her up and I think she is a pretty lady (even though I'm gay). But she might be anti-gay because she lives in Texas, so I don't know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2015, 05:40 PM
 
Location: West of the Rockies
1,112 posts, read 1,872,083 times
Reputation: 1086
I lived in a city that I thought was almost perfect, but I was poor and at one point almost homeless.

I now live in a small city that is absolutely boring, ugly, crappy weather, not very friendly people, and very hard to make friends or date here (everyone is 30+ and married with kids). BUT, I am making enough money to live comfortably plus enough disposable income that I save up to take vacations during holidays. That alone makes up for it. I think anyone who's ever been very poor would take this any day over being a bum in paradise. Although there are some people who would rather have the latter. Kudos to them, but I'm going with the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,905 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Reputation: 63553
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The only reason I would want to move to Texas is to be friends with KathrynAragon. I looked her up and I think she is a pretty lady (even though I'm gay). But she might be anti-gay because she lives in Texas, so I don't know....
LOL thank you! And no, I'm not "anti gay!" Promise.

I really don't care who people love as long as everyone involved is a consenting adult!

Most Texans would agree with me, I think. A recent poll from Texas Tech shows 48 percent of Texans are in favor of gay marriage and 47 percent oppose it. (I guess 5 percent don't care one way or the other!)

http://www.lonestarq.com/poll-texans...rriage-oppose/

Even among registered voters, 42 percent of all voters (not just democrats) are in favor of same sex marriage in Texas.
http://www.texastribune.org/2014/10/...me-sex-unions/
When asked if civil unions were acceptable, a full 67 percent of all registered voters in Texas are in favor.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 04-25-2015 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 07:13 AM
 
779 posts, read 698,123 times
Reputation: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Your first two links link to the same single poll. Your third link is to an online discussion group - hardly scientific. Heck, I can find an online discussion group extolling the positives of child molestation or the negatives of puppies.

Which leads me to your other "city data proof." City Data is interesting but it's hardly a scientific study, nor is it even close to being an accurate portrayal of any group in the world - except, of course, C-D regulars - aka armchair warriors (and I'm including you and me in that description).
My first two links give different perspectives of the same poll, yes. If, despite what the facts show, you choose to continue to believe that most people who weren't born in Texas, enjoy living there and if you want to make ridiculous comparisons about child molestation, then be my guest. Just know that you're wrong, most people I've spoken with, and most of what you'll read online espouse negative opinions about Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,905 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Reputation: 63553
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
My first two links give different perspectives of the same poll, yes. If, despite what the facts show, you choose to continue to believe that most people who weren't born in Texas, enjoy living there and if you want to make ridiculous comparisons about child molestation, then be my guest. Just know that you're wrong, most people I've spoken with, and most of what you'll read online espouse negative opinions about Texas.
I also mentioned puppies. But apparently you insist on focusing on the negatives. (My comment, by the way, about child molesters AND puppies, was tongue in cheek - I thought you'd be able to discern that but I guess I gave you too much credit.)

I actually live in Texas and therefore I know lots and lots of Texans - both natives and transplants (like myself). I am in fact surrounded by Texans day in and day out and most of the remarks I hear are very positive regarding Texas and living here.

So we're obviously hanging out with different sorts of people, which is fine by me. That being said, Texas is an extremely diverse state, so just about anyone who moves here, especially to a larger metro area, can quickly and easily find their "fit" when it comes to a group of like minded friends and acquaintances.

I don't base my opinions of ANY place on one poll, or internet forums. If I'm truly interested in what a state or city has to offer, or a country for that matter, I'll go visit, drive around, meet people, experience various cities and towns, and form my own opinions.

Like Lyle Lovett says so well, "That's right, you're not from Texas but Texas wants you anyway!" Well, let me modify that a bit - Texas wants anyone who appreciates what Texas has to offer. If someone is determined to be negative and critical, I think I can speak for most Texans when I say "Don't bother moving here." I think in fact that most people in most states would say the same thing.

You don't have to be from Texas in order to become a Texan, as many people, myself included, have realized. But you DO have to appreciate the positives of the state - and there are plenty of positives to appreciate, unless you're determined not to acknowledge them.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 04-25-2015 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 08:51 AM
 
779 posts, read 698,123 times
Reputation: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I also mentioned puppies. But apparently you insist on focusing on the negatives. (My comment, by the way, about child molesters AND puppies, was tongue in cheek - I thought you'd be able to discern that but I guess I gave you too much credit.)

I actually live in Texas and therefore I know lots and lots of Texans - both natives and transplants (like myself). I am in fact surrounded by Texans day in and day out and most of the remarks I hear are very positive regarding Texas and living here.

So we're obviously hanging out with different sorts of people, which is fine by me. That being said, Texas is an extremely diverse state, so just about anyone who moves here, especially to a larger metro area, can quickly and easily find their "fit" when it comes to a group of like minded friends and acquaintances.

I don't base my opinions of ANY place on one poll, or internet forums. If I'm truly interested in what a state or city has to offer, or a country for that matter, I'll go visit, drive around, meet people, experience various cities and towns, and form my own opinions.

Like Lyle Lovett says so well, "That's right, you're not from Texas but Texas wants you anyway!" Well, let me modify that a bit - Texas wants anyone who appreciates what Texas has to offer. If someone is determined to be negative and critical, I think I can speak for most Texans when I say "Don't bother moving here." I think in fact that most people in most states would say the same thing.

You don't have to be from Texas in order to become a Texan, as many people, myself included, have realized. But you DO have to appreciate the positives of the state - and there are plenty of positives to appreciate, unless you're determined not to acknowledge them.
Either you're choosing to be ignorant or your reading comprehension isn't up to par. I never said that I didn't like Texas because other people dislike Texas. I hate Texas, I found that out just a few short months after moving there. It just so happens that most people happen to agree with me.

THE BAD


It has the most executions out of any state year in and year out, the most wrongful convictions of any state, and the most miscarriages of justice regarding it's executions of any state.

It has obnoxiously and clumsily placed tollways plastered all throughout it's two largest cities.

The police are among the most corrupt in the nation.

It probably has the worst history of any state in the U.S.

It has a huge bug problem.

It's one of the worst driving states in the U.S. and is among the leading states in traffic fatalities and drunk driving.

It's among the top states with the worst natural disasters.

Did I mention the drivers?

It's the only state that I've ever been to where they feel the need to put their state flag up every quarter mile or so.

It's full of ignorant bigots who believe they know it all.

It's among the leading states in it's number of obese people.

It's one of the few states that's making absolutely no effort to enlighten the pubic about GMO's.

It's the only state that still threatens to secede from time to time. (DO IT ALREADY!!)

It doesn't have any labor law requiring employers to give their employees lunch breaks, or any breaks.

THE GOOD


Low COL

Solid job market.



When I stated that you and I belong to completely different demographics, your reply was something along the lines of, "You don't know me."... If you're an European American woman, I know all I need to know. You and I couldn't possibly relate to one another concerning most real world situations in our day to day lives. I wouldn't and couldn't possibly expect you to be able to comprehend or relate to all the reason(s) that I hate Texas and all that it stands for.

**EDIT** Either way, I think I'm done replying to you, as you seem to have quite the delusional love affair with Texas.

Last edited by LongNote; 04-25-2015 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 09:04 AM
 
3,280 posts, read 3,837,348 times
Reputation: 3988
13 years ago moved from home state of WY to WI for career. Did not like it. Where I lived was a very multigenerational area and if your great-grandparents weren't born there, it was easy to feel like an outsider. Plus the bone-chilling midwest cold killed me.

Now in AL, much, much nicer. People are more friendly and gracious, weather is perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,905 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Reputation: 63553
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post

When I stated that you and I belong to completely different demographics, your reply was something along the lines of, "You don't know me."... If you're an European American woman, I know all I need to know. You and I couldn't possibly relate to one another concerning most real world situations in our day to day lives. I wouldn't and couldn't possibly expect you to be able to comprehend or relate to all the reason(s) that I hate Texas and all that it stands for.
Oh my - and if I was as judgmental and small minded as you, I'd say that this comment alone tells me "all I need to know" about you. But I'm not wired together that way, so I'll just assume you're in a bad mood today or something.

What you obviously don't know about me is that my family looks like a UN delegation, that in my immediate family we have Italians, African Americans, Czechs, Koreans, Panamanians, etc. I'm sure I left some ethnic groups out. We have Democrats and Republicans and Libertarians. We have wealthy and poor. We have more diversity within two generations (of predominately Texans by the way) than many families have in six.

So please - don't assume, because as I pointed out earlier, you know what they say about those who assume. Or maybe you don't. Come to think of it, it's pretty obvious that you don't.

Thankfully, the Texans that I associate with every day of my life aren't nearly as judgmental as you are. But this attitude of yours is a big clue as to why you may have some trouble with people you meet - anywhere, but especially in a state like Texas, where most people expect you to be gracious to others.

By the way, just so you know, EVERY SINGLE STATE in the US has gathered enough signatures to present a petition to secede to the US government - and every state has done so. Not that I personally recommend it.

Only 2 percent of Texans have signed such a petition.

Oh and one other thing - I'm not a "European American." My family has been in North America since the 1640s. I am American - simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 09:14 AM
 
779 posts, read 698,123 times
Reputation: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh my - and if I was as judgmental and small minded as you, I'd say that this comment alone tells me "all I need to know" about you. But I'm not wired together that way, so I'll just assume you're in a bad mood today or something.

What you obviously don't know about me is that my family looks like a UN delegation, that in my immediate family we have Italians, African Americans, Czechs, Koreans, Panamanians, etc. I'm sure I left some ethnic groups out. We have Democrats and Republicans and Libertarians. We have wealthy and poor. We have more diversity within two generations (of predominately Texans by the way) than many families have in six.

So please - don't assume, because as I pointed out earlier, you know what they say about those who assume. Or maybe you don't. Come to think of it, it's pretty obvious that you don't.

Thankfully, the Texans that I associate with every day of my life aren't nearly as judgmental as you are. But this attitude of yours is a big clue as to why you may have some trouble with people you meet - anywhere, but especially in a state like Texas, where most people expect you to be gracious to others.

By the way, just so you know, EVERY SINGLE STATE in the US has gathered enough signatures to present a petition to secede to the US government - and every state has done so. Not that I personally recommend it.

Only 2 percent of Texans have signed such a petition.

Oh and one other thing - I'm not a "European American." My family has been in North America since the 1640s. I am American - simple as that.
I realize that honesty isn't your peoples' strong suit, but I said nothing about your family... I said you're European American, so please don't try to twist my words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 9,233,285 times
Reputation: 3346
I just moved from the L.A. area to San Diego.

It was a move of practicality...and only that. San Diego, once you get beyond the weather and scenery, is one of the most unimpressive, overrated major cities in the U.S. And you can still get the weather and the scenery all up and down coastal California. I thought this before I even moved here.

I could write paragraphs on how much better much of the rest of California is than San Diego. But I chose to move here because, again, practicality. So writing paragraphs would be a waste of my time. I'm not miserable here, but I'd much rather be in L.A. (or its sphere of influence) or, to a slightly lesser extent than L.A., the Bay Area, and I've lived in both previously. My plan is already underway to be out of SD in a year.

It also doesn't help that I actually don't care for the people of SD, either. Not that L.A. and the Bay are bastions of friendliness...but I'd expect an Indianapolis-on-the-Pacific like San Diego to have a little friendlier people.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 04-25-2015 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top