U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:11 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,233,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Wow, a lot of facts there. I would definitely choose most any city in Orange or Los Angeles County over San Diego. Once you get past the mild weather (Which all So-Cal cities have) and solid job market, SD has nothing that justifies it's high cost of living
Yeah. In L.A. County, there are so many fabulous places and pockets to live in. It is just too large and complex to describe in one short paragraph--maybe the most complex municipal entity in the United States, arguably more so than New York. Nearly 200 languages are spoken in L.A. County. Pasadena, Alhambra, La Mirada, Belmont Shore (Long Beach), Rancho Palos Verdes, Canyon Country, Lancaster, Calabasas, West Hollywood, Venice, Downtown L.A., Los Feliz--all in L.A. County, and all rather or very different from one another.

In OC, Irvine is a major job center. I'm not too keen on living in Irvine because it is basically a Nazi traffic/parking lot. Strict enforcement of anything if ever there was any. However, Santa Ana, Anaheim, and Costa Mesa are becoming very aggressive with urban redevelopment projects, and there are still Fullerton, Laguna Beach, Orange, and Tustin very worthy of consideration. The highest populations of Muslim Iranians and Vietnamese people in the world outside of Iran and Vietnam reside in Orange County, as do tens or hundreds of thousands of Chinese, Indians, Central Americans, and, of course, Mexicans. It's a blend of L.A. and S.D., but with more of a local "go-getter" mentality than S.D. and less traffic (relatively) and grittiness than much of L.A.

San Diego has all the cost and attitudes (traffic) of LA and OC, but without nearly as many of the advantages. In fact, the East Coast/Midwest presence is much stronger in SD relative to population, whereas I feel like that LA, OC, and the Bay (sans San Francisco) offer much better balances of California natives/long-timers and transplants (and I like that better even though I'm an eastern transplant). Relative to, say, Louisville, KY, then SD is much more diverse, but given its proximity to LA, OC, and definitely Mexico, I don't see much else here besides Caucasians and Mexican-Americans.

I could justify SD's cost of living if its employment market was as robust as its northern neighbors. But it isn't--it isn't a bad economy, but the career opportunities are just much more limited here in multiple fields compared to said northern neighbors.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 04-27-2015 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 03:00 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,132,244 times
I like Cleveland.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:26 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,525,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I like Cleveland.
So you hate Cleveland but it's practical for you?

Old 04-29-2015, 02:06 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,050,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I've always suspected the SD housing costs are inflated by the numbers transplants deadest against living in Los Angeles.
I think we have a winner.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:25 PM

93 posts, read 75,850 times
How about staying somewhere because its practical?
Id get out of Boston quickly if all of my family didn't live here.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:04 AM

371 posts, read 428,023 times
I commented on your other thread that had gotten shut down in the Houston forum. I am not going to get on here to do anything but be extremely honest... I am not trying to sway you one way or another, nor am I trying to bash Houston or Texas... if you love it and like it then that is GREAT, but please let those who don't feel the same way, say their piece too..........

I am not the most popular person on the Houston forum... in fact I am sure they would probably rather see me leave. I would like to leave too, but right now I am stuck in the Houston area.

I was born and raised in Texas. I have always lived in Texas. I am NOT a Texan.

I do not have state pride, I am not a bragger about being from Texas. I do not care about college football or owning a massive truck. I do not like Mexican food, chicken fried steak, or am I having fits over losing Blue Bell ice cream. I do not go to Galveston beach every weekend even though I live within 20 minutes of it (YUCK). I do not wave a Texas flag and buy Texas edition trucks. I think I may own one shirt that has Texas on it.

I do like my Houston sports teams, I like the bluebonnets, kolaches, and ummm.... I like...ummmm well I cant think of anything else.

The climate kills me. I suffer a lot here. I have a hard time in the heat and the humidity reeks havoc on my body and my respiratory system.

I have one activity I enjoy here, which is something I can do a lot of other places in the country. Everything else I really like to do- is not available here, and I must travel for it. I love hiking and outdoors.... well I went "hiking" on Saturday and ran into one water moccasin and 3 copperheads and was bitten countless times by mosquitoes..... and last time I went kayaking I had an alligator scare.

It's ok I guess here, housing is not what I would call cheap, but it is not the most expensive. It is not really for me...I try to advise people not to get in my situation if you can help it. I am stuck here until I can find a job in a plant that pays what mine does now.

Until then, my heart will stay in the Rocky Mountains and I will visit them as much as I can to keep my sanity........

Think twice before making a decision you regret. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:42 AM

44,905 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
I commented on your other thread that had gotten shut down in the Houston forum. I am not going to get on here to do anything but be extremely honest... I am not trying to sway you one way or another, nor am I trying to bash Houston or Texas... if you love it and like it then that is GREAT, but please let those who don't feel the same way, say their piece too..........

I am not the most popular person on the Houston forum... in fact I am sure they would probably rather see me leave. I would like to leave too, but right now I am stuck in the Houston area.

I do not have state pride, I am not a bragger about being from Texas. I do not care about college football or owning a massive truck. I do not like Mexican food, chicken fried steak, or am I having fits over losing Blue Bell ice cream. I do not go to Galveston beach every weekend even though I live within 20 minutes of it (YUCK). I do not wave a Texas flag and buy Texas edition trucks. I think I may own one shirt that has Texas on it.

I do like my Houston sports teams, I like the bluebonnets, kolaches, and ummm.... I like...ummmm well I cant think of anything else.

The climate kills me. I suffer a lot here. I have a hard time in the heat and the humidity reeks havoc on my body and my respiratory system.

I have one activity I enjoy here, which is something I can do a lot of other places in the country. Everything else I really like to do- is not available here, and I must travel for it. I love hiking and outdoors.... well I went "hiking" on Saturday and ran into one water moccasin and 3 copperheads and was bitten countless times by mosquitoes..... and last time I went kayaking I had an alligator scare.

It's ok I guess here, housing is not what I would call cheap, but it is not the most expensive. It is not really for me...I try to advise people not to get in my situation if you can help it. I am stuck here until I can find a job in a plant that pays what mine does now.

Until then, my heart will stay in the Rocky Mountains and I will visit them as much as I can to keep my sanity........

I sincerely hope you get to move out of Texas and Houston soon.

Just remember, no matter where you live, you have to live with yourself. My point being that it's often not location that makes as much of a difference in a person's happiness as it is their own personality and character. Maybe yours is great - I don't know. I'm just making a general point.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:45 AM

779 posts, read 698,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post

Thanks for the comment man. You got to love people who assume that you must be the problem just because you dislike a certain city that they happen to like for whatever reason. Anyways, I hope you can make your way back to the Rockies, good luck man.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:58 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Had lived in Texas for 35 years. Moved to DC four months ago. I can't imagine living there anymore, even though DC is absurdly expensive and Texas is very cheap. You get what you pay for.

I have a friend who is a native Texan. Moved to Denver for 5 years, had some money troubles and moved back to Texas. Headed back to Denver within a year, despite his money problems. Said he couldn't deal with the Texas weather. He was conservative too.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:16 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,141,052 times
I was born in Colorado, have lived here most of my 60 years and like it just fine. Unlike most transplants however, I don't think it's Nirvana, but you could certainly do worse.

I've also lived in CA, MT, Western CO and UT, and have for the most part enjoyed each.

Now that we're getting closer to retirement, expenses are becoming more of a factor. We are considering moving somewhere with a lower cost of living, such as New Mexico. Geographically it's close to family, has moderate weather and is generally affordable. Guess we'll see how things look in around 5 years.

I've always believed that as long as I am successful (make a decent income) and have a loving family, I could be happy anywhere in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or