Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 11:26 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times

Advertisements

Been in Oklahoma City for six years now. Oklahoma is basically Texas but more conservative, more religious, and without major cities. I despise this place for so many reasons and would like nothing more than to leave but am currently stuck here. On paper my life looks like it should be going fairly well but I really haven't ever been this unhappy. In addition to the fact that I just don't like small metro areas, OKC is way too conservative and is smack dab in the middle of the ugliest area of the country in terms of natural beauty. I really hope to move somewhere else within the next five years. Honestly, I'm not that hard to please. I don't have to live in paradise. I just want to live somewhere I find tolerable i.e. metro area 1.5-2 million or above and at least moderate politically. I would prefer to be within a day trip of the coast but there are flyover cities I would be perfectly happy in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 02:20 PM

68 posts, read 66,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern1141 View Post
How about staying somewhere because its practical?
Id get out of Boston quickly if all of my family didn't live here.

OMG man does that ring so true for me also. Theres nothing to stay in a55achusetts for and even parts of Southern NH are effected that are near the bad parts of MA. No escape anymore really in some neck of the woods. Some people might be happy in Milford for quieter living maybe, but if you have money its even better. Its safe to say that the NE needs to be ruled out for the future as far as staying there. Family now has handcuffed me to this area. I told my mom not to do it. Everything was depending and riding on her decision to come back. I didnt think it was a good idea though but she emotionally had to only for me to live 2 hours from her in the end and not right by her or even a lot of my other family. I will want out of this as time goes on. Arizona here I come.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinois_nc23 View Post
I'm sort of in the same position. I lived in San Antonio for a year and half and hated it. I moved back home to Illinois, but the winters are killing me. I have seasonal depression and I just don't function from October through April. So I'm considering a move back to Texas because the weather is great (in my opinion, i love hot weather), the cost of living is low, and I already know people there. The people in Texas are very friendly! However, that's where the likes end. I hate the Texas culture. I'm in my early 30s, and everyone I met there my age was married with at least one child. It's way too conservative, and as a person who loves hiking and the outdoors, it's not a good fit. People like to say the Hill Country is so beautiful and there is tons of hiking, but for people who are really into hiking, it's a joke. Any mountains are an 8 hour drive away, there aren't really any nice forests, and the beaches are awful. But as a person drowning in student loan debt, I can't really afford to go somewhere I really want to like California or Denver.

I think it all depends on your likes and dislikes. Lots of people move to Texas and love it! But it's just not for me, and it doesn't sound like it's for the OP either.

Texas is out for me then. Plus I'd hate the weather there with the high humidity worse than FL and more BUGS. Truthfully, California even looks more appealing unless say those people in TX who all have children could be super helpful to get you to live like them and make you enjoy it. Otherwise it wouldnt be for me though no. Plus the big cities are increasing in crime. It wont be much different from the image of CA many people see sooner or later. Arizona I determined is the best fit for me. Somewhere not FL, not MA, not TX, not the deep south but very reasonable even if it does hit 110 degrees. And there is job opportunities from what I hear around Phoenix.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Been in Oklahoma City for six years now. Oklahoma is basically Texas but more conservative, more religious, and without major cities. I despise this place for so many reasons and would like nothing more than to leave but am currently stuck here. On paper my life looks like it should be going fairly well but I really haven't ever been this unhappy. In addition to the fact that I just don't like small metro areas, OKC is way too conservative and is smack dab in the middle of the ugliest area of the country in terms of natural beauty. I really hope to move somewhere else within the next five years. Honestly, I'm not that hard to please. I don't have to live in paradise. I just want to live somewhere I find tolerable i.e. metro area 1.5-2 million or above and at least moderate politically. I would prefer to be within a day trip of the coast but there are flyover cities I would be perfectly happy in.

I heard miserable things about OKC area I wont lie. Thats somewhere I'd NEVER go to. I'd prefer the possibility of living in Alabama even. Thats pretty bad if I'm saying that.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:03 PM

16,075 posts, read 10,735,467 times
What other life choices would you make and hate but go through with it because it's practical. Root canal? Over the years, I've been to every major city in Texas and some minor ones and can't see any reason to live there. It would take a barrel of cash and a long list of benefits and even then I wouldn't stay very long. If the job pays well, would you happily take a pay cut to get out of there or would you be wedded to the pay and practicality? It could be a trap.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWbound14 View Post
I heard miserable things about OKC area I wont lie. Thats somewhere I'd NEVER go to. I'd prefer the possibility of living in Alabama even. Thats pretty bad if I'm saying that.
Alabama is not too bad it at least it is pretty close to New Orleans, Atlanta and Nashville. I would not wan to live in Oklahoma or Kansas too far away from any city I like.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:24 PM

16,075 posts, read 10,735,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Had lived in Texas for 35 years. Moved to DC four months ago. I can't imagine living there anymore, even though DC is absurdly expensive and Texas is very cheap. You get what you pay for.

I have a friend who is a native Texan. Moved to Denver for 5 years, had some money troubles and moved back to Texas. Headed back to Denver within a year, despite his money problems. Said he couldn't deal with the Texas weather. He was conservative too.
Humans are adaptable when that's not the best policy. We normalize things in our mind and they don't seem so bad when they are actually awful. Even an oyster will build a pearl out of a piece of grit. Once you leave a place and look back you see it for what it is. That's my story -- I wonder how on Earth did I stay there as long as I did. But I know people who have done the opposite and can't wait to get back. If the only redeeming value in a major move was practicality and I hated everything else I would not move...life is too short.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:16 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
TX and OK seem to be mentioned quite a bit in this thread.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:54 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Yes, I moved from San Diego to Michigan for college. It was great in the regard I was able to focus on school, and I had extended family in the area. It was awful because the weather blew, and the natural enviornment wasn’t my style. Detroit was very close, and Chicago wasn’t too far either, for non campus weekend/holiday fun, but nothing in that area is like Southern California. Luckily I came back for my summer breaks.

Despite some great job offers, and a low cost of living, I couldn’t wait to get back to San Diego. Maybe it’s just me, but I would never live somewhere for more money, and/or a lower cost of living, if I wasn’t happy there, it’s not worth it. Life is too short, and money can’t buy happiness.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:27 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,799 times
We lived in SW Missouri for almost 10 years. The Bible Belt. We are 2 moderately liberal, highly educated adults, with a mixed race family. We prefer larger cities with more Culture (symphonies, broadway plays, museums, etc.). I was not happy there, but it was the right decision, temporarily, for my husband's career and I made the best of it. We built up a good net worth and then left before our kids had to start school there (that was my insistence, the schools were not what I wanted for my children, so we were getting out before my oldest started K). I don't regret it, but I was really really happy to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.