U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:11 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,710,646 times

Advertisements

Here's the oldest one: Lancaster Central Market

Here's one proud to be #13: Central Market York

Here's one that's in a rebuilding phase: The Broad Street Market | Harrisburg, PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 01:29 PM

21,186 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
when is the last time you were there? And I generally try to hit farmers or other markets whenever I travel so think have a pretty good perspective. Like Eastern Market in Cleveland - while nice is but a fraction of the RTM

Now my biggest ding against the RTM would be produce (still not bad) but the 9th Street market is better o that front for Philly.

I know you hate Philly but the RTM is actually one thing hard to deny IMHO. And is probably better today then ever in my life (which may be longer than yours as well)
I had a very intimate working knowledge of RTM when I was last there 10 years ago, which near as I can tell is the same now as then in terms of vendors. The Italian Market in my opinion is much more intriguing from a foodie aspect versus scoring lunch between meetings at the convention center or looking for "authentic" Philly Steaks off a bus tour which like it or not is the general theme of RTM. It has nothing to do with hating Philly as I loved and miss the Italian Market as well as the Headhouse Square Farmers Market.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:31 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,912,763 times
This guy is trolling and trying his best to make other CD people hate Philly, I don't know if he is succeeding but he is making me laugh. The people on this site have become insane.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:02 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I had a very intimate working knowledge of RTM when I was last there 10 years ago, which near as I can tell is the same now as then in terms of vendors. The Italian Market in my opinion is much more intriguing from a foodie aspect versus scoring lunch between meetings at the convention center or looking for "authentic" Philly Steaks off a bus tour which like it or not is the general theme of RTM. It has nothing to do with hating Philly as I loved and miss the Italian Market as well as the Headhouse Square Farmers Market.
actually if it has been ten years I really recommend checking it out again if you ever back in town. Also to me in the last ten years the 9th street market and Passyunk Ave have made huge strides. The Italian market is more diverse and Passyunk from 10th to Broad may be the best restaurant strip in the city today. Passyunk is loaded with cafes in a way even 10 years ago I would not have believed.

http://philly.eater.com/2013/4/10/64...streets-in-u-s

On the RTM - there are new vendors and new energy in the old - again to me the last ten years have seen some significant changes

And people don't go to the RTM for cheese-steaks the roast pork is the sandwich of choice

http://www.grubstreet.com/2012/08/di...-sandwich.html

Last edited by kidphilly; 04-21-2015 at 02:15 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 06:01 PM

7,746 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Lexington Market in Baltimore

Old 04-21-2015, 06:49 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,744,944 times
While I have no dog in this fight, I too also agree that the Reading Market has changed a lot in 10 years. I do not associate it with greasy cheese steaks. The Italian Market is almost my back yard, and I rarely go there, I still think it is a hole.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:31 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,242,541 times
Ignoring the initial post but adding to the discussion, Grand Central Market in DTLA deserves a nod.

It's not the biggest by all means, (30,000 sq ft.), but it is nearly 100 years old, is always bustling, and has a ton of diverse options for food. All authentic and unique/non-chain vendors.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:37 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,503,555 times
Yeah, we don't have a huge impressive one either like Pike Place or RTM, but it's historic, recently refurbished and quite cool. It's also on the new Streetcar line.

The Curb Market | Sweet Auburn Curb Market

We also have Ponce City Market opening in phases this Summer/Fall. This is the redevelopment of the former 2 million square foot Sears warehouse for the Southeast into the Atlanta mixed-use equivalent of New York's Chelsea Market (same developer). A large food hall will be a major component. This is on the BeltLine, which is our transformative transit/park loop under development.

Ponce City Market

Old 04-22-2015, 12:26 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,462,884 times
I am sure there are other Market Places in the country . I can't compare.... because I do not know enough of them.

But I say give it to Philly they need the boost? Because they have no REAL DOWNTOWN MAIN SHOPPING STREET ANY MORE. THEY BUILT MALLS BECAUSE OF THAT FACT. But Philly still has great shopping.

I boast and defend another great American city.... with 2 vibrant Downtown shopping streets. One ALWAYS TOP 2 OR 3 IN THE NATION. No use mentioning it in Philly Thread? Ohhhh why not... its in General US section. That 2 vibrant full shopping streets. One a Premier one. It's Chicago.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:47 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,384,135 times
Obviously OP aka BigGeo08 is doing yet another boosting tirade but I will admit, RTM was truly an incredible market! I loved every single moment I was in there. It being the best in the U.S. is subjective but it's certainly among the best, probably the Top 10 Best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or