Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:48 AM

183 posts, read 220,400 times

Advertisements

We all know that Philly's Reading Terminal Market is the best urban market in the country, but I'm wondering what other cities has such a market of similar quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 05:37 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curious_urbanist View Post
We all know that Philly's Reading Terminal Market is the best urban market in the country, but I'm wondering what other cities has such a market of similar quality.
LOL...that's debatable given options like Pike Place Market in Seattle, Oxbow in Napa, the LA Farmers Market, The Ferry Building in SF and Cleveland's West Side Market.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:58 AM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
I believe that Detroit has the Eastern Market. Eastern Market

Even cities like Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse have these markets: The Broadway Market -

Public Market - Rochester Wiki

CNY Regional Market - regional market, syracuse regional market, farmers market syracuse, regional market syracuse ny, cny regional market, syracuse flea market

Old 04-21-2015, 07:28 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curious_urbanist View Post
We do?

Old 04-21-2015, 07:34 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
How many threads are you going to make about the same topic?

Every city has it's good points and bad points and one thing in one city may not be as practical in a different city.

PS ~~ Soulard is equal to the market you mentioned whether you like it or not, there are other markets that are equal to if not better.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:36 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,600 times
Boost away!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:41 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Sadly these threads are a pain

Yet the RTM is probably one of the best markets in the country. The RTM and Pikes are my two personal favorites actually (not including outdoor markets as they vary significantly and even seasonally)

Most of the other mentioned are not as large, varied or busy based on my experience

and to Jersey Girl - a strong argument could actually be made on this topic - not like most threads the OP starts

Have not been to Soulard so cant compare that one pesonally

Old 04-21-2015, 08:48 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Sadly these threads are a pain

Yet the RTM is probably one of the best markets in the country. The RTM and Pikes are my two personal favorites actually (not including outdoor markets as they vary significantly and even seasonally)

Most of the other mentioned are not as large, varied or busy based on my experience

and to Jersey Girl - a strong argument could actually be made on this topic - not like most threads the OP starts

Have not been to Soulard so cant compare that one pesonally
Busy or bigger doesn't equate to better. RTM has daily busloads of tourists disembark for a greasy Philly steak sandwich as if it were a mall food court. Serious food shopping it's not generally speaking, unlike many of the other options mentioned.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:54 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Busy or bigger doesn't equate to better. RTM has daily busloads of tourists disembark for a greasy Philly steak sandwich as if it were a mall food court. Serious food shopping it's not generally speaking, unlike many of the other options mentioned.
when is the last time you were there? And I generally try to hit farmers or other markets whenever I travel so think have a pretty good perspective. Like Eastern Market in Cleveland - while nice is but a fraction of the RTM

Now my biggest ding against the RTM would be produce (still not bad) but the 9th Street market is better o that front for Philly.

I know you hate Philly but the RTM is actually one thing hard to deny IMHO. And is probably better today then ever in my life (which may be longer than yours as well)

Last edited by kidphilly; 04-21-2015 at 09:02 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 09:52 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,585,248 times
Columbus Ohio has the North Market but I do not thinks it is as big as the RTM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.