Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:08 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
I have long been a supporter of Quebec independence. The interesting question is going to be what will happen to the maritime provinces. Will they become US states, or will Canada just be a non-contiguous country?
I was just about to make a very similar post. Though I don't think the Maritime provinces want to join the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 09:59 PM

193 posts, read 204,529 times
Perhaps the OP could bring us up-to-date on where Quebec independence stands today. Quebec lost the first independence vote 60%/40% in 1980 but nearly won in 1995 with a vote of 50.5%/49.5%. With the last vote that close, surely those favoring independence for Quebec would want a new vote on the issue--and soon. Some questions I have--

* Is there much pressure in Quebec today for independence? Any idea if and when a new vote on Quebec independence will take place? Would it succeed?

*If Quebec votes in favor of independence, will Ottawa allow secession to take place based solely on the vote?

Considering the length of time Quebec has been part of Canada, the magnitude of such a separation seems huge--so many complications and challenges to consider. I've been to Quebec several times and loved each visit. The Province seemed like its own country to me especially in Quebec City where French was so dominant. I was under the impression that Ottawa has bent over backwards to accommodate the cultural concerns of Quebec citizens within the larger Canadian federation, so I really don't understand why so many in Quebec are anxious to separate. Would you really be that much better off?

Canada seems to be the World's favorite country. I hope it holds together.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:10 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
I was just about to make a very similar post. Though I don't think the Maritime provinces want to join the US.
Correct. There is no impulse in the Canadian Maritimes to join the US and I doubt there would be even if Quebec became independent.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
Perhaps the OP could bring us up-to-date on where Quebec independence stands today. Quebec lost the first independence vote 60%/40% in 1980 but nearly won in 1995 with a vote of 50.5%/49.5%. With the last vote that close, surely those favoring independence for Quebec would want a new vote on the issue--and soon. Some questions I have--

* Is there much pressure in Quebec today for independence? Any idea if and when a new vote on Quebec independence will take place? Would it succeed?

*If Quebec votes in favor of independence, will Ottawa allow secession to take place based solely on the vote?

Considering the length of time Quebec has been part of Canada, the magnitude of such a separation seems huge--so many complications and challenges to consider. I've been to Quebec several times and loved each visit. The Province seemed like its own country to me especially in Quebec City where French was so dominant. I was under the impression that Ottawa has bent over backwards to accommodate the cultural concerns of Quebec citizens within the larger Canadian federation, so I really don't understand why so many in Quebec are anxious to separate. Would you really be that much better off?

Canada seems to be the World's favorite country. I hope it holds together.
I am not the OP (we haven't seen him in a while), but to answer your question...

The Quebec independence movement is going through a bit of a soul-searching right now.

Actually, the leader of the Parti Québécois (the main separatist party at the provincial level) resigned yesterday, citing family reasons. His leadership was more or less successful.

The PQ are not the government of Quebec at the moment. The federalist (pro-Canada) Liberals are in power and have been for several years. But the PQ are not dead - the hold the second-highest number of seats in the assembly, and there will be no shortage of people wanting to be its leader.

At the federal level, the pro-independence Bloc Québécois have 10 seats out of the 78 alloted to Quebec. People have predicted the death of this party but it has survived. Though it's far from what it used to be, as it once had over 50 seats.

Overall, about 40% of the population in Quebec can be said to favour independence.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:13 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,691 times
It's native land so ask the natives first

Old 05-03-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Just like the land you're sitting on right now, no?

Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Just like the land you're sitting on right now, no?
yes

Old 05-04-2016, 08:54 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
does quebec have alot of natural resources? I believe alot of the northeasts heating oil comes from there

Old 05-04-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
does quebec have alot of natural resources? I believe alot of the northeasts heating oil comes from there
Heating oil - that would not be the case.

Quebec is not an oil and gas producer, although apparently there is some here but it's not in extraction/production due to questions of feasibility, environmental concerns, etc.

Quebec is however a major provider of electricity to the U.S. northeast. This is hydroelectric power.

Other than that, the province does have a significant amount of natural resources. Mining is a huge industry. As is forestry, the fishery, etc.

Basically most of the stuff you can imagine for a North American territory that is huge and sparsely populated.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:50 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Earlier in this thread someone claimed Quebec was settled by the French because it was uninhabited. One Native American tribe had driven the other one out. Looks like this typical narrative falls apart upon closer inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.