U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:10 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Earlier in this thread someone claimed Quebec was settled by the French because it was uninhabited. One Native American tribe had driven the other one out. Looks like this typical narrative falls apart upon closer inspection.
The area around Montreal was not inhabited around the time the French settled it. At some point previously there was an aboriginal village on the town site called Hochelaga. Jacques Cartier, who visited the area several decades (in the 1500s) before it was settled by the French, reported on Hochelaga, but when Ville-Marie was founded in the 1600s by Maisonneuve, the village and its inhabitants were gone.

Hochelaga was not a Mohawk village, even though the latter are the main aboriginal group living in the Montreal area today.

The French also encountered aboriginals living in other areas, such as Micmacs in the Gaspé, and the Iroquois/Huron people in the present-day Quebec City area.

I believe Hochelaga was a village populated by the same nation as those aboriginals in Quebec City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 12:47 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
You are right. We don't expect Americans to know this. Americans are a great neighbour so I am not going to do that stupid "fat dumb Americans" stereotype.

However it is, I want to show my appreciation from the comments from our great ally to the south.

thank you, we're not all fat

Old 05-04-2016, 03:15 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,399,662 times
I would venture that most Americans don't know how possible Quebec's secession is or don't care since it doesn't directly affect their day to day lives in any tangible way. Personally I'm all for self-determination. If the majority of Quebec's people do not want to be a part of Canada then I say for go for it

Old 05-07-2016, 10:30 PM

103 posts, read 129,960 times
Two countries on the US northern border is more complicated than one, so no. Also, duplicating institutions simply creates more bureaucracy and will be a drag on your standard of living.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:39 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
I'm in favor of Quebec independence if for no other reason than I'm an aspiring national anthem composer and work has been a bit slow lately...Viva la Quebec!...cue the flute player

Old 05-08-2016, 03:55 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,105,742 times
Quebec deserves independence. It's the only part of Canada that I have an inclination to visit.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:55 AM

13,356 posts, read 7,012,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizu View Post
Two countries on the US northern border is more complicated than one, so no. Also, duplicating institutions simply creates more bureaucracy and will be a drag on your standard of living.
More complicated??

Old 05-08-2016, 06:12 AM

243 posts, read 148,940 times
Well I don't have a dog in that fight, but I wish you all the best with it.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:53 AM

4,897 posts, read 1,827,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Correct. There is no impulse in the Canadian Maritimes to join the US and I doubt there would be even if Quebec became independent.

I would not be so sure about that. I have spoken to people from the Maritimes about the prospect of Quebec seceding from Canada. The maritime provinces would essentially be cut off from the rest of Canada if this were to happen. The provinces are in many respects are more similar to New England 9especially coastal NE) than the rest of Canada. The people I knew indicated they would want to link up with New England if Quebec exited Canada.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:20 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,698,330 times
I personally think it would be pretty cool if Quebec became its own country...would add another country to North America which would be neat.
On the other hand, my Canadian friends (from Calgary, Toronto, and Vancouver) all scoff at Quebec for wanting independence and think it's a complete joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or