U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 04:44 AM

21,328 posts, read 21,900,953 times

Advertisements

I'm OK for Quebec's independence as long as they get permission from their Canadian bosses. Plus, the U.S. should probably be consulted too. Oh, and don't forget the Queen of England, she may have a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 05:41 AM

1 posts, read 517 times
Eastern Townships should be part of New England!

Old 05-14-2016, 08:29 AM

3,017 posts, read 1,872,367 times
Are you guys the Canadian version of Texas?

Old 05-14-2016, 09:18 AM

6,973 posts, read 12,494,406 times
I would say since many Americans couldn't identify locations of US states. Then it's doubtful they would know about Quebec. It's sad but it's true. For those Americans that do know, about this issue going on in Canada. I would say if Quebec to be separate, and that is what the majority wants. Then that is how it should be. This issue has been going on for many years now. It's beyond time to settle it.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:53 PM

10,796 posts, read 9,432,166 times
The northern portions of Quebec were never part of French Canada and would need to be in the hands of the Natives and thus remain in Canada. So Canada would still be connected to the Maritimes but only through the northern portion.

I could see it go either way but I suspect that Quebec would struggle if it were a separate country. The capital Quebec City would boom with international embassies and such but the bulk of the Canadian economy is in Toronto and the bulk of Canadian natural resources are in Alberta.

I suspect a Quebec nation would be economically worse off for a long time.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:24 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The northern portions of Quebec were never part of French Canada and would need to be in the hands of the Natives and thus remain in Canada. So Canada would still be connected to the Maritimes but only through the northern portion.

Being the devil's advocate here, but if we are going to bring up the past, what about areas outside Quebec that were once part of French Canada (and arguably still are today)?

Old 05-16-2016, 09:10 AM

10,796 posts, read 9,432,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Being the devil's advocate here, but if we are going to bring up the past, what about areas outside Quebec that were once part of French Canada (and arguably still are today)?
If you mean Nova Scotia/New Brunswick and the areas where Acadians were expelled to Louisiana then I'm all for it. The only problem is that area now is populated by Anglophones that won't support it because the original settlers' descendants now live in Louisiana.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:13 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
If you mean Nova Scotia/New Brunswick and the areas where Acadians were expelled to Louisiana then I'm all for it. The only problem is that area now is populated by Anglophones that won't support it because the original settlers' descendants now live in Louisiana.
Many areas of Ontario and New Brunswick that are close to Quebec are primarily populated by francophones today.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:54 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Quebecers I've met have been incredibly kind and intellectual. It's the other Canadians who have the inferiority complex and spend all day and night talking smack about 'Fat Americans', and 'Lazy Quebecers.' You would think Ontario is growing as fast as China by the way some boosters tout their own middling province. In reality, Ontario's manufacturing industry has collapsed due to the weak Loonie and nearly all growth in Toronto is a speculative housing bubble. The province is also one of the most indebted jurisdictions in the world. But Ontario is 'an economic powerhouse' to some? Please.
You really have it in for English Canada and Ontario don't you... As if 14 million people in Ontario or 28 million people in English Canada collectively did something to p*ss you off.. I feel bad for anyone who so quickly dismisses whole swaths of people in the name of being a keystroke warrior.

Not that this thread is about economies in Canada - but since you opened that up totally unnecessarily - suck on this lemon
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/04...n_9670750.html

Last edited by fusion2; 05-16-2016 at 07:22 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 07:01 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I would say since many Americans couldn't identify locations of US states. Then it's doubtful they would know about Quebec. It's sad but it's true. For those Americans that do know, about this issue going on in Canada. I would say if Quebec to be separate, and that is what the majority wants. Then that is how it should be. This issue has been going on for many years now. It's beyond time to settle it.
The truth is Quebec has had several opportunities in the past to vote on the matter to secede. Its really that simple and if a majority of Quebecers voted in such a manner than I think you would find they would have their own nation - sticky point is only 40 percent of the Province wants to secede at present... So if the majority want to stay in Canada, I can't imagine why 40 percent should have their way over the 60 percent who want to remain.

Despite the efforts of some to paint English Canadians as the devil incarnate, i'm proud that Canada has a system in place that facilitates a mechanism for a Province to hold a referendum in order to chart their own future if they so choose. That can't be said for a lot of countries in the world.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-16-2016 at 07:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or