U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2015, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,941 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Reputation: 8602

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
On the dot.

While having family in the states certainly gives my family more reason to speak English, my cousins who grew up in Cote-De-Neige (we used to be all over there in the 90s) grew up speaking English more so because of the neighborhood.

Laval, Saguenay and QC; very different story.

I should mention these two "sides" of my family although close relatives, have very little to do with each other. Especially the younger generation.
I love it when I guess right!

That's entirely believable given that they grew up in a neighbourhood like CDN.

I still think that most Haitians even in Montreal on the island are very francophone-oriented, but yeah it can happen that a small portion of them will drift over the anglo side. (Interesting you should mention their greater propensity to migrate out of Quebec - which is likely at least a bit related to all of this).

Just as you get some people whose origins are in more anglo oriented countries like Gregory Charles (Trinidad) or Normand Brathwaite (Jamaica), or the kids of Charles Biddle (U.S.) but who ended up on the francophone side.

Montreal as I always say is a very fascinating real-life socio-cultural laboratory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2015, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Proud son of the south in Alabama
34 posts, read 29,103 times
Reputation: 82
I say vive le quebec libre!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
5,952 posts, read 7,320,675 times
Reputation: 3734
Didn't a lot of large companies in Montreal move out to other parts of Canada after Bill 101 was passed? I could see that happening if Quebec would ever gain independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Randolph, MA
508 posts, read 642,204 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I love it when I guess right!

That's entirely believable given that they grew up in a neighbourhood like CDN.

I still think that most Haitians even in Montreal on the island are very francophone-oriented, but yeah it can happen that a small portion of them will drift over the anglo side. (Interesting you should mention their greater propensity to migrate out of Quebec - which is likely at least a bit related to all of this).

Just as you get some people whose origins are in more anglo oriented countries like Gregory Charles (Trinidad) or Normand Brathwaite (Jamaica), or the kids of Charles Biddle (U.S.) but who ended up on the francophone side.

Montreal as I always say is a very fascinating real-life socio-cultural laboratory.
It's terrible lol although there is nothing wrong with assimilation. I just wish they were like the rest of my family. I'm ok at French but I don't get Joual.

Did you hear about the Emeutes de Montreal-Nord? That was about a Latino kid getting shot by the police and somehow all the minorities (also some younger Italians) banded together to burn and loot. I was actually in town at the time and it was fascinating how diverse that crowd was.

In the US, I feel it always comes down to racial and ethnic lines with that kind of stuff. In Montreal, it was about defending your neighborhood. We were hanging out having a good time in RDP meanwhile Nord was on fire and my aunt was lamenting how terrible of a place Nord was, as if RDP is any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,941 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
It's terrible lol although there is nothing wrong with assimilation. I just wish they were like the rest of my family. .
What do you mean by "like the rest of your family"? Sounds like you have multiple cultural/linguistic realities in your family: francophone primarily, bilingual francophone-anglophone, and anglophone primarily, and I suppose the level of retention of Kréyol Ayisyen also varies greatly from group to group and even person to person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Randolph, MA
508 posts, read 642,204 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What do you mean by "like the rest of your family"? Sounds like you have multiple cultural/linguistic realities in your family: francophone primarily, bilingual francophone-anglophone, and anglophone primarily, and I suppose the level of retention of Kréyol Ayisyen also varies greatly from group to group and even person to person.
Only the "Quebecois" don't speak Kreyol. It's "uneducated". But some of the younger folks are coming around to English. After a LOT of criticism, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 10:15 AM
 
868 posts, read 872,056 times
Reputation: 1320
This is weird, Quebec was/is a french colony formed on land occupied by several Native American Tribes. What makes Quebec's conquest/take over by the British any different than what the French did to the actual Natives. Using that as a reason for wanting Quebec to be independent is silly. All of the America's should be given back to the Native Americans going by that logic.

I understand there are cultural differences at play, but that culture clash is just as much the fault of closed minded Quebecans as it is the fault of other Canadians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,941 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post

Did you hear about the Emeutes de Montreal-Nord? That was about a Latino kid getting shot by the police and somehow all the minorities (also some younger Italians) banded together to burn and loot. I was actually in town at the time and it was fascinating how diverse that crowd was.
Yes, I watched live on TV. Our all-news channels covered it CNN BREAKING NEWS style with helicopters, etc.

I have some relatives who live in Montréal-Nord. (Not in the area where the riots were though.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,941 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Only the "Quebecois" don't speak Kreyol. It's "uneducated". .
That's probably due to the historic relationship between French and Kréyol, French being perceived historically as the superior/dominator. There is no issue with people who speak English vs. Kréyol because the two languages have never had an antagonistic relationship in history.

It's kind of like Spanish for Canadians. No one cares in Canada if a stranger walks up to you in a shop or on the street and talks to you in Spanish. In many parts of the States that's considered provocative behaviour.

And in Quebec, a lot of people would probably be more relaxed about someone blurting out Spanish at them, than blurting out English.

Once again - it's because of the history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2015, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,941 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
This is weird, Quebec was/is a french colony formed on land occupied by several Native American Tribes. What makes Quebec's conquest/take over by the British any different than what the French did to the actual Natives. Using that as a reason for wanting Quebec to be independent is silly. All of the America's should be given back to the Native Americans going by that logic.
All true, but this does not necessarily make the current post-colonial/conquest borders and governance structure of Canada-USA-Mexico an optimal set-up than cannot ever be changed or even improved upon.

And I say this as someone who is not in favour of independence for Quebec BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top