U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 04:55 AM

17,237 posts, read 19,536,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I think it would be really cool! Having a country right next to you that speaks French, that sounds like a dream
Quebec is already a French-speaking province. Its independence would hardly make any difference from an American perspective.

You can go there and live your dream right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 08:10 AM

359 posts, read 264,210 times
How interesting it is to see that Americans can talk about us cooly and calmly. You don't bash us or tell us we are worthless. This is why we prefer Americans. Our countrymen in anglo Canada respond to the word Quebec with a barrage of insults and racist stereotypes. I don' know who they hate more, the US or Quebec.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:21 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,124,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
How interesting it is to see that Americans can talk about us cooly and calmly. You don't bash us or tell us we are worthless. This is why we prefer Americans. Our countrymen in anglo Canada respond to the word Quebec with a barrage of insults and racist stereotypes. I don' know who they hate more, the US or Quebec.
We gotcho back.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:23 AM

12,651 posts, read 10,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Sounds like they need to get lives.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:27 AM

2,701 posts, read 4,669,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
Well Quebec has two major world cities and more GDP and population than Denmark, Norway, New Zealand, Ireland, Finland and Iceland, we also have an abundance of natural resources in our northern expanse. Montréal is one of the biggest cities in North America. The most comparable independent country is Sweden. I think these are all viable countries even the ones like Norway and New Zealand with much smaller population, less GDP, minor cities and isolated location, so I don't see why Québec isn't. Montréal is a major hub of french language corporations like Bombardier and Ubisoft.
Thanks for the clarification. Good point on the comparison to Norway, Denmark, etc. I hadn't thought about that, but of course they have a very high standard of living, best in the world- so I guess my concern over Quebec was invalid.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:32 AM

5,659 posts, read 3,643,856 times
My main concern with Quebec independence is, how would it affect the Maritime Provinces? Would they end up being isolated, cut off from the rest of Canada? In my mind, it strikes me as being problematic, having a non-contiguous country with another country stuck in-between your parts. On the other hand, though, the U.S. seems to manage it, with Canada being inserted between Alaska and the Lower 48 (to say nothing of the Pacific Ocean in-between Hawaii and the Mainland), so maybe my concerns are overblown.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:17 PM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
My main concern with Quebec independence is, how would it affect the Maritime Provinces? Would they end up being isolated, cut off from the rest of Canada? In my mind, it strikes me as being problematic, having a non-contiguous country with another country stuck in-between your parts.
Exactly! It would be like having Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama cede into a separate country. How in the world would that work for the "other country" and why would they even allow that to happen?

Old 04-24-2015, 01:40 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,416,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Exactly! It would be like having Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama cede into a separate country. How in the world would that work for the "other country" and why would they even allow that to happen?
Where do we sign up for that?!?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:37 PM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Where do we sign up for that?!?
But can we keep Cleveland?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:53 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,416,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
But can we keep Cleveland?
Only if the Cavs win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or