Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 09:18 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times

Advertisements

What do Americans think about Québec independence?
Meh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 09:12 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
If there was a divorce, it would be a diplomatic imperative for the USA to establish cordial relations with Quebec, as well as the rest of (what was) Canada.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I neither support nor oppose Quebec's independence. Because it is not my country, which means it's not my business.

That being said, I don't think it will ever happen.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:12 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
No, we do not support that kind of thing. In Québec anglophone rights are guaranteed. They have their own hospitals, schools, businesses as they wish. They are treated much better than francophones outside of Québec who usually have none of these things. Quebec independence is not for revenge, it is about a different nation of peoples who wants to be independent from the people who took them over. Like the heroes of 1776 in America who just wanted to do their own thing. We have no bad feelings towards anglophones. Sorry for my English.
I was going to write that as an American I don't care what you do, it is an internal matter to Canadians. But then I read this. I did not know that there was a "separate but equal" Quebec.

That turns my opinion. To me, this indicates that this issue is probably more a "we are better than them" cause than anything else and I don't think the world needs any more of that. So, if this is indeed the cause and the motivation behind the separation, I feel no support for you at all.

1776 was not about "we want our own thing." It was a growing country - open to most (but unfortunately not all) where the primary issue was taxation and self direction - not exclusion.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:04 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
I'm down for it. Show those clowns in Ottawa who's boss.
They would not only show who's boss but their new country would literally be looming over Parliament Hill in Ottawa. It would be pretty odd in my opinion for that to happen.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:53 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I was going to write that as an American I don't care what you do, it is an internal matter to Canadians. But then I read this. I did not know that there was a "separate but equal" Quebec.

That turns my opinion. To me, this indicates that this issue is probably more a "we are better than them" cause than anything else and I don't think the world needs any more of that. So, if this is indeed the cause and the motivation behind the separation, I feel no support for you at all.

1776 was not about "we want our own thing." It was a growing country - open to most (but unfortunately not all) where the primary issue was taxation and self direction - not exclusion.
I don't know how you came to deduce this from that post.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:48 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
I think Quebec should be independent. I honestly do.

However, I also think New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI should be American states and Alaska should be a Canadian province.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:05 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
I think it's absolutely ridiculous. I've always found it strange that almost all of Canada speaks English and has a very American-centric type of culture but Quebec is the only province that refuses to assimilate to the rest of the country's standards. Which is commendable on one hand. But multiculturalism isn't and unfortunately being as someone that lived in Montreal, that city and the entire province already sold out it's own culture to foreigners so there is no point in their efforts to preserve whatever is left of French heritage. It will be decimated in 50 years due to the Muslims and Asians. Might as well bend over and get with the program.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:38 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I don't care, really, to be honest.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:59 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I think it's absolutely ridiculous. I've always found it strange that almost all of Canada speaks English and has a very American-centric type of culture but Quebec is the only province that refuses to assimilate to the rest of the country's standards. Which is commendable on one hand. But multiculturalism isn't and unfortunately being as someone that lived in Montreal, that city and the entire province already sold out it's own culture to foreigners so there is no point in their efforts to preserve whatever is left of French heritage. It will be decimated in 50 years due to the Muslims and Asians. Might as well bend over and get with the program.
How does that relate to assimilating into Canadian culture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.