Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 09:22 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
That said, people in the ROC (Rest of Canada) also do not oppose Quebec being Francophone and they don't want to assimilate it, quite honestly its distinctiveness is embraced and uncontroversial, as is the widespread belief that is indeed distinct. The real conflicts are between linguistic groups in the province, much less so between the province and other Canadian jurisdictions. I'd say that Anglos from other provinces think little of Quebec and are not opposed to it being different, but many have a negative impression as they understand little about it if from far away and often are only exposed to it through people like Gilles Duceppe, for whom driving wedges was a job description.
Sorta. Certainly less than a few generations ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 09:45 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
That said, people in the ROC (Rest of Canada) also do not oppose Quebec being Francophone and they don't want to assimilate it, quite honestly its distinctiveness is embraced and uncontroversial, as is the widespread belief that is indeed distinct. The real conflicts are between linguistic groups in the province, much less so between the province and other Canadian jurisdictions. I'd say that Anglos from other provinces think little of Quebec and are not opposed to it being different, but many have a negative impression as they understand little about it if from far away and often are only exposed to it through people like Gilles Duceppe, for whom driving wedges was a job description.
I really wish this would be the case in South Louisiana. There have been quite a few meetings between leaders in France and certain mayors in the US and Canada. A new annual event between the mayors is starting to be hosted in South Louisiana to promote more french culture in the Americas. A lot of people in this area of the state are on board and french immersion schools are popular. I think it's a pretty interesting thing to watch from this side of the world as well.

I have very deep French roots with over 100 ancestors that go back to Nova Scotia and would really embrace a more french independent nation on this side of the globe. I really hope it works and I hope we (I) could be part of it somehow. It's a case where I may really be enticed to leave New Orleans if it happened, to go to the new country that is.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:59 AM

522 posts, read 694,840 times
North America is dominated quite heavily by America and Canada land-wise. I say more power to 'em, but Quebec independence was a thing of the past. The last major support for it was in the 1990s and its gone downhill from there.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:14 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
What do American people think about Québec independence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
We don't think about it.
Or in general much of anything else.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Or in general much of anything else.
Speak for yourself.

I wonder how often people from Quebec think about, say, New Mexico border issues. Whether or not Quebec is independent really isn't a burning question to most Americans, any more than New Mexico's border issues are to people in Quebec.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:06 AM

728 posts, read 974,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Speak for yourself.

I wonder how often people from Quebec think about, say, New Mexico border issues. Whether or not Quebec is independent really isn't a burning question to most Americans, any more than New Mexico's border issues are to people in Quebec.
Quebec folks are known to be extremely opinionated on American matters. They'd probably have more to say about Arizona than New Mexico, though.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Quebec folks are known to be extremely opinionated on American matters. They'd probably have more to say about Arizona than New Mexico, though.
Opinionated and informed aren't the same thing. Just take a look around C-D for verification!

Old 04-28-2015, 06:51 AM

728 posts, read 974,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Opinionated and informed aren't the same thing. Just take a look around C-D for verification!
Oh, for sure. I'm just pointing out that even though they'd formulate opinions based on next to nothing but "media"; they'd still have an opinion.

A large plurality of Americans probably don't know Quebec wants to be independent; which is very different from what would've happened if say....Louisiana wanted to be independent. Quebeckers would've had sooooo much to say. Then again, the US is always getting media coverage; so that probably plays a huge part.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:52 AM

593 posts, read 667,678 times
I had no idea Quebec was independent. Honestly i don't really care

Old 04-28-2015, 06:55 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Canadians in general have lots of opinions on the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.