U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:23 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,603,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Since when was 70 degrees chilly? That's pretty doggone warm.

Chilly is 40s and 50s. You can hit the pool in the lower 70s.
70s is warm? New to me. Here if it falls into the 70s the beaches are empty, pools are closed. 70s is comfortable but not good for any water sports. However, there were plenty of 60-something days in that 10 day forecast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 09:34 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,451,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
70s is warm? New to me. Here if it falls into the 70s the beaches are empty, pools are closed. 70s is comfortable but not good for any water sports. However, there were plenty of 60-something days in that 10 day forecast.
That's a South Florida thing then. For plenty of folks in the interior of the country, temps in the 70s is warm enough for the pool or the lake.

And the upper 60s isn't really that much cooler than lower 70s, unless the wind is a factor.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
That's a South Florida thing then. For plenty of folks in the interior of the country, temps in the 70s is warm enough for the pool or the lake.

And the upper 60s isn't really that much cooler than lower 70s, unless the wind is a factor.
Sure in lower 70s I'm in long sleeves or a light jacket. You won't catch me alive in a swim suit, let alone entering or exiting the water. That's way too cold for that, and I doubt it's just a "southern florida thing" since we're overcrowded by tourists from everywhere else.

70s is not beach weather, it's take a jog weather. Lower-mid 80s can even be a bit nippy for the beach. Here I will get cold laying out in 80s if I just exited the water and the wind hits me. 90s is optimal for the beach.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Sure in lower 70s I'm in long sleeves or a long jacket. You won't catch me alive in a swim suit, let alone entering or exiting the water. That's way too cold for that, and I doubt it's just a "southern florida thing" since we're overcrowded by tourists from everywhere else.

70s is not beach weather, it's take a jog weather. Lower-mid 80s can even be a bit nippy for the beach. Here I will get cold laying out in 80s if I just exited the water and the wind hits me. 90s is optimal for the beach.
The in-laws are in Gulf Shores this week. The temps have been in the 70s pretty much all week. I'm not buying that "it's gotta be 90 to be beach weather".

Old 04-24-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
The in-laws are in Gulf Shores this week. The temps have been in the 70s pretty much all week. I'm not buying that "it's gotta be 90 to be beach weather".
A 10 day forecast reveals it's upper 70s, lower 80s. A far cry from lower 70s. While not optimal for the beach by any means (I wouldn't go) for people sun-starved and beach-starved, and from cold climates, I guess will make that work a bit. Probably won't go in the water that much.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
A 10 day forecast reveals it's upper 70s, lower 80s. A far cry from lower 70s. While not optimal for the beach by any means (I wouldn't go) for people sun-starved and beach-starved, and from cold climates, I guess will make that work a bit. Probably won't go in the water that much.
I didn't say lower 70s, I said 70s. And I would take the in-laws word from what the temps actually were over some little weather app that doesn't get it right half the time.

FWIW, there's THOUSANDS of college kids that hit Gulf Shores for spring break every year, and that's usually late March and early April. The highs rarely break 80.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
FWIW, there's THOUSANDS of college kids that hit Gulf Shores for spring break every year, and that's usually late March and early April. The highs rarely break 80.
Every single day here has been above 80 since late February (ok maybe a couple were 79 or something like that) here. To me it's astonishing how you guys make a beach work with such temps. Spring breakers should just come to Miami. Our water was above 80 sometime in early March this year.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Every single day here has been above 80 since late February (ok maybe a couple were 79 or something like that) here. To me it's astonishing how you guys make a beach work with such temps. Spring breakers should just come to Miami. Our water was above 80 sometime in early March this year.
I don't necessarily disagree with you there, but the bulk of those college students come from places like KY, TN, IN, and northern AL. They can at least drive to Gulf Shores in a day. It's at least twice as far to get to Miami. And unless they have rich parents, I doubt many of them fly.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:52 AM

6,978 posts, read 9,074,826 times
Quote:
it's all relative. When I was in Miami a few winters ago, it was 80-85 for 4 days and then it suddenly dropped to 68 and it felt cold. But if it is in the 50s for weeks and then it reaches 70, it feels warm.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:04 AM

260 posts, read 170,213 times
Chicago has great summers. Winters are not as bad as advertised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.