Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:55 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,675,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringguitarguy View Post
Fairbanks Alaska- Subzero Temps
Palm Springs /the Coachella Valley California - its ok during the winter , but without modern technology of air conditioning its practically unlivable thats why the US Government gave so much of the land out there to Native American Tribes in the first place.. Palm Springs is an artificial oasis in the desert. Without human intervention its a desert wasteland with no water except for a few springs..
Phoenix Arizona- Same as above.
Same for Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 09:36 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,740,578 times
Palm Springs, I've spent quite a bit of time there. Yes, the summers are extremely uncomfortable, even golfers either don't play or play very early in the morning. Winters are nice, but keep in mind because of its location to the east of a giant mountain, Palm Springs cools off very early once the sun is out of reach, by 3:30 in the midst of winter. This sun shadow effect is less prominent the further east you go though.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:41 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,421,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
My top-four worst and similar cities:

1. Chicago- Many extended periods of nice weather are negated for me by extremes on both ends of hot and cold with nasty humidity exacerbating both. Most of the Great Lakes cities seem to feature similar weather.

2. Dallas-Way too hot in summer and too cold in winter. Also stormy with frequent damaging winds and hail. I witnessed a massive plague of crickets there, a couple of tornadoes, ice storms, mud raining from the sky, a high of over 115 degrees air temperature and a low below 10 degrees in one 12-month period. Oklahoma City, San Antonio and Austin are similar.

3. Houston- Similar to Dallas, but without as extreme hot and cold. However, the more intense humidity pushes the temps into the same extreme ranges in terms of how miserable it feels. Houston floods and is prone to frequent storms. The humidity makes it the worst breeding ground for mosquitoes and roaches. It also doesn't cool off at night in summertime, with humid, sweaty, sticky nights. New Orleans and Orlando are similar.

4. Phoenix-Brutally hot and dry...it's a desert! I love the setting, but the heat would drive me crazy. Tucson and Las Vegas are similar.
Pretty good list but I don't mind dry heat, I hate heat combined with humidity so I hate Florida, New Orleans, Atlanta and most of the South and Texas weather... not a big fan of the South in the Summer, the falls and spring's are pretty nice in most of the South thou.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:56 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,740,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
My top-four worst and similar cities:

1. Chicago- Many extended periods of nice weather are negated for me by extremes on both ends of hot and cold with nasty humidity exacerbating both. Most of the Great Lakes cities seem to feature similar weather.

2. Dallas-Way too hot in summer and too cold in winter. Also stormy with frequent damaging winds and hail. I witnessed a massive plague of crickets there, a couple of tornadoes, ice storms, mud raining from the sky, a high of over 115 degrees air temperature and a low below 10 degrees in one 12-month period. Oklahoma City, San Antonio and Austin are similar.

3. Houston- Similar to Dallas, but without as extreme hot and cold. However, the more intense humidity pushes the temps into the same extreme ranges in terms of how miserable it feels. Houston floods and is prone to frequent storms. The humidity makes it the worst breeding ground for mosquitoes and roaches. It also doesn't cool off at night in summertime, with humid, sweaty, sticky nights. New Orleans and Orlando are similar.

4. Phoenix-Brutally hot and dry...it's a desert! I love the setting, but the heat would drive me crazy. Tucson and Las Vegas are similar.
I agree for the most part. However, there is a subtle difference between Vegas and Phoenix, and that is Vegas is far enough north where they occasionally catch some cold spells. Most winters bring highs only in the 30's, but usually for just short periods. Snowfall is rare in both, but can indeed happen, more so in Vegas.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:46 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,057,739 times
It's almost the end of May and it is 42 in Chicago and windy. I can't think of worse weather.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:39 AM

371 posts, read 538,618 times
The Houston area, I suffer here. It is smothering with the heat and humidity. I have a hard time breathing in it, and you literally break a sweat walking across a small parking lot to your car. Granted I work in plants in full PPE and it makes any kind of heat that much worse.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:14 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,492,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
It's almost the end of May and it is 42 in Chicago and windy. I can't think of worse weather.
Huh. A bad weather day. Well, here's May highs in Chicago for the next week, in order: 70, 59, 72, 70, 75, 76, 78

Looks pretty damn good to me. Seattle looks to be colder and rainier (go figure).

Old 05-20-2015, 06:11 PM

522 posts, read 690,394 times
Orlando.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:34 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,183,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Huh. A bad weather day. Well, here's May highs in Chicago for the next week, in order: 70, 59, 72, 70, 75, 76, 78

Looks pretty damn good to me. Seattle looks to be colder and rainier (go figure).
Yeah. Here in Omaha we've been in the 70s and 80s all month (since the beginning of april really) till we hit a high of 59 today. Some woman was complaining about how cold we have been all month and threw in the line 'Nebraska weather'. Then some guy in another conversation talked about how cold we've been all year and said 'who wants to live here'. Well, we've been in the 60s-80 since the beginning of March. We had three weeks of 45-60 degree weather in January. It's like one cold day is so traumatizing to them that they had blanketed out literally 3 months straight of very warm weather.

I simply will never understand people.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:39 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,672,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Yeah. Here in Omaha we've been in the 70s and 80s all month (since the beginning of april really) till we hit a high of 59 today. Some woman was complaining about how cold we have been all month and threw in the line 'Nebraska weather'. Then some guy in another conversation talked about how cold we've been all year and said 'who wants to live here'. Well, we've been in the 60s-80 since the beginning of March. We had three weeks of 45-60 degree weather in January. It's like one cold day is so traumatizing to them that they had blanketed out literally 3 months straight of very warm weather.

I simply will never understand people.
I've heard similar things here after a week of sunny weather in winter, followed by a day or two of rain. It seems people who hate the weather where they live have very short memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.