U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 09:52 PM

7 posts, read 14,452 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am currently living in Arizona and have been thinking about moving somewhere else for a while now. Anyways, I am trying to pinpoint which state(s) I should focus on and what areas relate to what I am looking for. Here is my list of must haves in the new location:

1. Good economy and plentiful job opportunities
2. Smaller suburban area (Don't want to live in a Downtown area, but possibly a smaller city or somewhere rural that is close enough to a metro area)
3. Somewhere safe with low crime and theft
4. Somewhere that has four seasons and a variety of weather
5. Somewhere that is affordable and not too expensive

I know it may sound like I have a huge wish list, but this is what I would like to find in the new area that I chose to move too. In regards to number two, I would like either a smaller metro area that is not very crowded or somewhere that is rural and not too far from a metro area to commute to for work. For instance, somewhere in the country that is 20-30 minutes or possibly further from a metro area.

Thank you all for your help in advance and I look forward to seeing your responses. I greatly appreciate your help as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:01 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,126,256 times
Raleigh, North Carolina, perhaps. It's booming big.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:21 PM

56,676 posts, read 80,995,527 times
What kind work would you be looking for and do you have a metro size that you prefer?

Old 04-24-2015, 06:03 AM

21,202 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislarson18 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am currently living in Arizona and have been thinking about moving somewhere else for a while now. Anyways, I am trying to pinpoint which state(s) I should focus on and what areas relate to what I am looking for. Here is my list of must haves in the new location:

1. Good economy and plentiful job opportunities
2. Smaller suburban area (Don't want to live in a Downtown area, but possibly a smaller city or somewhere rural that is close enough to a metro area)
3. Somewhere safe with low crime and theft
4. Somewhere that has four seasons and a variety of weather
5. Somewhere that is affordable and not too expensive

I know it may sound like I have a huge wish list, but this is what I would like to find in the new area that I chose to move too. In regards to number two, I would like either a smaller metro area that is not very crowded or somewhere that is rural and not too far from a metro area to commute to for work. For instance, somewhere in the country that is 20-30 minutes or possibly further from a metro area.

Thank you all for your help in advance and I look forward to seeing your responses. I greatly appreciate your help as well!
I agree regarding the Raleigh-Durham area though would point you specifically toward smaller more rural suburban areas like Mebane, Pittsboro, Hillsborough or Graham on the west side of the metro area which tends less dense and is actually more convenient to most of the job market, as it's mostly clustered between Raleigh and Durham. I lived in this area for over ten years and highly recommend it for providing the criteria you're looking for. It's about 30-40 minutes at the worst of rush hour from these towns to the economic center of Raleigh-Durham, though consider there's a good bit of employment options that'll be much closer in the 20 minute range.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:49 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,446,556 times
Omaha or Des Moines pretty much fit your description to a T.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:55 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,765,568 times
Yep, Omaha, Des Moines, Madison, Lincoln, Iowa City, La Crosse, Rochester (MN), Sioux Falls... Plenty of nice affordable cities up here.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:08 PM

56,676 posts, read 80,995,527 times
OP, are you looking for something like this?: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8871..._fL6ZKzVRQ!2e0
Downtown Canandaigua -
The Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce welcomes you to our beautiful community and region!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or