U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 03:25 PM

24 posts, read 13,776 times

Advertisements

Thank you, and for me it is not about the cost of living but more what I do for a living. The SoCal job market is saturated in my field and so I would have a difficult time fitting in. The "Cali" thing was implanted in my mind from that old LL Cool J song, a favorite of mine when I was growing up and I never broke the bad habit. Another poster mentioned Salt Lake and I really like that idea, not my ideal weather, but life is about compromise. Anything other cities to mind for you DinsdalePirahna?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 04:21 PM

183 posts, read 175,169 times
Philadelphia has all of your list, except #6. But Philly's winters are not as cold as Chicago's. And California is overrated anyway, unless you like shallow, pretentious people who would love to make you feel like an outsider to your face.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:51 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,274,783 times
Scottsdale seems to fit your list pretty well. Only missing link would be diversity, not very racially diverse. Most of the diversity would be just outside the Scottsdale area. There is a whole Chicago culture in the Phoenix are simply because there are so many transplants there.

Whats your career path, how much do you want to spend on housing. If we have that info we can really pick apart your list

Old 04-24-2015, 06:57 PM

Scottsdale is very nice, and it is a great suggestion. My budget is very healthy (not Elon Musk healthy) and I am in the medical field, so housing cost is not a concern. Only a good place to set up practice and join a community/meet people. Prefer urban walkable communities but this seems difficult to come by, so it is not a must.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:00 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,022,772 times
Should be able to get a job all over in the medical field..
San Diego is a bit cheaper than LA,
Also think outside the tradiotional SoCal Box: Ocean side, Oxnard and Port Hueneme
not exactly centers of fashion but close enough to LA...

Old 04-24-2015, 08:18 PM

I will just say it, there are just too many plastic surgeons in southern california. Everyone wants live there and everyone wants to do the same thing. Unfortunately, it is quite hard to start up there and make a dent in the market. Too bad for me. Someone suggested Honolulu, that is not a bad place...actually sounds quite nice. What do you guys think?

Old 04-24-2015, 08:22 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,917,969 times
You basically described my ideal place as well with your post in terms of everything I would want in a city, the problem is no place is perfect every place has its issues, you have to visit a few cities you like and see which one you want to live in. Personally for me because I have a gf soon to be fiancé and a career job I had to consider those factors and being close to family which is why I choose Nashville. Austin, Denver, San Diego, Phoenix metro are my other favorite metro's that I would live in.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:12 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, and sorry about your Wildcats this year...still a historic run, maybe next year Your are right, there is no utopia, have to maximize your preferences

Old 04-24-2015, 11:15 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,972,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienasty View Post
Ahh, thanks...Salt Lake City is a great option. Thanks for that idea, it gets cold but it is not overcast. Don't know anything about Tampa, will look into it. Thanks again!!!
Tampa, as with all of FL, will be a bit lacking on #1, 2 & 4. Only Miami might break the mold with #1, but even then it's limited to certain areas and demographics.

Quote:
The problem is my profession, it is just too saturated and it would be hard to make a living. This is probably true for other cities, but just not as bad. So I cannot move to the cities on the list I made for that reason as well...not enough work for me.
What is that profession, so we might help avoid the same issue in our recs.

Quote:
I will just say it, there are just too many plastic surgeons in southern california. Everyone wants live there and everyone wants to do the same thing. Unfortunately, it is quite hard to start up there and make a dent in the market. Too bad for me. Someone suggested Honolulu, that is not a bad place...actually sounds quite nice. What do you guys think?
Ahh! ok. Well what is wrong with Dallas or Atlanta? There's plenty of money and huge populations to serve. Is DC area too cold? That seems like a fine option if not. Also Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham.

I don't know too much about your industry and how exactly you specialize, but if older women are an important market then there are other cities, like Naples, Sarasota, and Boca Raton, which might be ok. Probably a lot of competition already though.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2015, 11:16 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,972,968 times
Oh, and maybe even Nashville too. It's certainly not a #1, and #2-3 are just meh, but not a bad city at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.