Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 03:36 PM

153 posts, read 128,766 times

Advertisements

When I first moved to Wisconsin, the horizontal lights bothered me. I've now been here nearly 5 years and don't even notice them anymore. The intersections in Madison, have a combination of horizontal (over the road) and vertical (median and side of the road) traffic lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 02:33 AM

13 posts, read 13,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yellow plate stoplights seem to be disappearing for whatever reason, being replaced by black on black plate stoplights in my area. I have stated before that yellow plated stoplights are more visible during low light and foggy conditions during daylight hours than black plated stoplights.
I grew up on the west coast and in Alaska, where black plates are the norm.

I then spent six years in Pennsylvania where yellow plates are frequent (maybe even universal).

I hated the yellow plates. Black is much easier to see against a bright sky. It’s also a greater contrast to the actual light balls themselves, so it’s easier to see the light and what color it is.

As to the main point of this thread, I prefer vertically-mounted lights likely because it’s what I’m used to, but I can handle horizontal ones—unless they do like New Mexico does and put the green left-turn arrow to the right of the red ball. Makes no sense. I’ve almost started going straight through an intersection multiple times this week because of that.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:35 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,381,888 times
I strongly prefer vertical, and all of them here are vertical except for some under overpasses

Old 12-07-2020, 12:38 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,740,578 times
Just to revive this fun (but really unimportant thread), in my area the flashing yellow on traffic lights seem to be more and more common. I think this has replaced a green with a yield sign, or a flashing green in recent years. Seems to be a much better signal, and most driver’s get it. As for traffic light box colors are concerned the trend continues to be a black/yellow combo in most States.

Old 12-08-2020, 05:06 PM

16,295 posts, read 10,324,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanjackal View Post
As to the main point of this thread, I prefer vertically-mounted lights likely because it’s what I’m used to, but I can handle horizontal ones—unless they do like New Mexico does and put the green left-turn arrow to the right of the red ball. Makes no sense. I’ve almost started going straight through an intersection multiple times this week because of that.
Believe it or not, New Mexico is doing exactly what the federal government is telling them to do. Green arrows on horizontal traffic lights are to be set toward the right of the signal housing. This according to the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Section 4D.10

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/2009r1r2/part4.pdf

(Page 27 of the PDF. Illustrations begin on Page 38.)

This is probably the biggest reason why I don't like horizontal signals. My gut instinct tells me that a left turn arrow should be the left-most signal, yet it's actually toward the right side. And my gut tells me that traffic lights go green-yellow-red, so the signals should be in that order, reading left to right. But it's the opposite. This is never a problem with a vertical signal. The green arrow is always on the bottom.

Old 12-08-2020, 05:31 PM

4,134 posts, read 2,764,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

Horizontal tend to be in area with high winds. Many Beach area have Horizontal so they don't get damaged in hurricane force winds,
Thanks for that. First time I saw it was in Morehead City, NC and I didn’t know what was happening. I felt like I should be on a race track. I couldn’t do that every day. Hurts my brain.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:09 PM

4,420 posts, read 6,236,328 times
DFW has a mix of both. Almost all lights are attached to poles rather than wires which looks cleaner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.