U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 01:35 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,241,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Have you had the experience of encountering a tractor, combine, or cotton picker while driving to or from your home in a subdivision that adjoins prime farm land?
To give you an example of what I was talking about, my first link below is a 5 minute drive from the second.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5557...Mjl3Ha56DA!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5926...sGesVo-mvQ!2e0

This is also a good side by side, because you can see a farm on the left and newish subdivision on the right.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5632...AFGBYy6ARg!2e0

That's when you're going down Frank Scott Parkway from Belleville into Fairview Heights. Fairview Heights is the second link I posted, with the stores and the mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 02:13 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,526,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I really do not care what the census bureau does, there are no Illinois suburbs of St Louis.
Most everyone who lives in that area will tell you they do not live in a suburb of St Louis or Missouri.
Does this mean that Hackensack is not a suburb of New York? Or Cherry Hill is not a suburb of Philly? Or that Vancouver is not a suburb or Portland? Or that Council Bluffs is not a suburb of Omaha? Or that Covington is not a suburb of Kentucky?

Does this mean that Washington, DC doesn't have any suburbs?

Frankly, your claim is ridiculous. Suburban sprawl doesn't stop at state lines, and anybody who can read a map knows that much to be true.

Anyway, back to the OP's original question. Suburbia and farms collide is basically every Midwestern city, in most of the South, and occasionally on the East Coast and out West (Sacramento comes to mind). But this clash tends to bring a lot of tension to many communities. One of my best friends is from Maple Plain, Minnesota (an exurb of Minneapolis), where the famers are always complaining about their land being developed, the established suburban residents complain about growing noise and traffic, and newer suburban residents complain about their killer commutes.

So, I would be interested in hearing about places where the suburbanites and the farmers coexist happily in a mutually beneficial fashion.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:34 PM

5,982 posts, read 7,351,208 times
Here is one of the most unusual examples I know of.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5166...1cWX9BY_Nw!2e0

Amazingly this is right in the southern part of Cook County, IL. I never thought there would be an area like this in the same county that Chicago is in.

I can't think of any examples of this here in Allegheny County, PA. Generally the developed land here around Pittsburgh are wooded areas, many of which are too steep to build on.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:45 PM

893 posts, read 1,100,671 times
It's common in many places throughout Ohio. I think that Columbus has annexed some land between it and a container facility that is farmland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or