U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:57 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,138,333 times

Advertisements

I never thought California had the best scenery in this country. It's great, but not the best IMO. I was far more impressed with the scenery of Washington and Oregon, because of the greenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 03:52 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,488,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I never thought California had the best scenery in this country. It's great, but not the best IMO. I was far more impressed with the scenery of Washington and Oregon, because of the greenery.
You managed to expose yourself to the full breadth of California's landscape on your five day visit? Ok. Or is that based on your friend's impression also?

BTW - I agree Oregon is beautiful as well. But here is the "greenery" in the eastern half:

https://www.google.com/search?q=east..._AUoAg&dpr=0.8

Old 04-28-2015, 04:09 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,197,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
You managed to expose yourself to the full breadth of California's landscape on your five day visit? Ok. Or is that based on your friend's impression also?

BTW - I agree Oregon is beautiful as well. But here is the "greenery" in the eastern half:

Nah man, California is all brown and dirty. Including all the people. I mean, I look in the mirror and try to take a shower and wash away all the dirt and shame, but it won't just go away.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Nah man, California is all brown and dirty. Including all the people. I mean, I look in the mirror and try to take a shower and wash away all the dirt and shame, but it won't just go away.

That's because you aren't lush. Drive through CT, lushes abound.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:15 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,138,333 times
Quote:

My 5-day visit was in SoCal, mostly in San Diego. But I have also been to northeast CA, which was very scenic and impressive, as well as the area to the east of Death Valley, on the NV border. I think CA is a beautiful state, but too much of it is brown and dry looking, even on the coast. The level of lush greenery just doesn't cut it. That's where Washington and Oregon succeed, even though they aren't even as green as the east coast.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:28 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,245,664 times
Quote:
My 5-day visit was in SoCal, mostly in San Diego. But I have also been to northeast CA, which was very scenic and impressive, as well as the area to the east of Death Valley, on the NV border. I think CA is a beautiful state, but too much of it is brown and dry looking, even on the coast. The level of lush greenery just doesn't cut it. That's where Washington and Oregon succeed, even though they aren't even as green as the east coast.
5 days isn't enough to make that confident of a generalization. Just say SoCal/San Diego looks brown or dry, and I might agree with you. But if you haven't been on the coast from San Francisco and north then you can't really make that statement.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
The East Coast is more green. Except during the months when it's anything but.

Northeast CA looks much like the link I posted. And yes, the area east of Death Valley is dry looking. I'm only responding to this because you post so much about California one would assume an encyclopedic understanding of the state's geography. How did you feel about Big Sur? The Redwoods? Sequoias? Lost Coast? Muir Wilderness? Tahoe? Mt. Lassen? Yosemite?

Old 04-28-2015, 04:31 PM

305 posts, read 238,514 times
Honestly the Oregon coast is very beautiful and Portland is a city I would love to visit, but I can't think of a more beautiful state overall than California. Heck many people consider driving the PCH an actual tourist attraction.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:39 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,197,705 times
Quote:
The East Coast is more green. Except during the months when it's anything but.

Northeast CA looks much like the link I posted. And yes, the area east of Death Valley is dry looking. I'm only responding to this because you post so much about California one would assume an encyclopedic understanding of the state's geography. How did you feel about Big Sur? The Redwoods? Sequoias? Lost Coast? Muir Wilderness? Tahoe? Mt. Lassen? Yosemite?
Come on, don't you know that as soon as you cross into California from Oregon to California, everything goes from "lush and green" to "dry"? The government defined borders really does determine the whole geography of a state

I thought City-Data was supposed to be full of college graduates and professionals. I wouldn't hire most of CD to work at McDonalds.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:05 AM

106 posts, read 119,504 times
Toes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or