U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:27 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,193,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think Atlanta and Miami might have something to say about that.
Maybe, but they aren't as liberal as the other two. I wouldn't compare Miami and Atlanta to Portlands or LA's politics, but the other two, yeah, I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 09:02 PM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Maybe, but they aren't as liberal as the other two. I wouldn't compare Miami and Atlanta to Portlands or LA's politics, but the other two, yeah, I would.
How so? Genuinely curious.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:08 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,920,800 times
Most larger cities are fairly liberal...and there are plenty of smaller cities in the South that are liberal as well. College towns in general and places like Asheville or Durham NC are known to be pretty liberal.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:02 PM

144 posts, read 156,461 times
San Francisco seems right up your alley.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:19 PM

21 posts, read 14,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylista1053 View Post
Hi,

I am recently married in a same sex marriage (hint, has to be a state where my marriage is recognized) and my wife and I are looking to relocate to the south due to weather and cost of living. I don't mind a red state with a super liberal epicenter. I am graduating with my masters degree in school counseling so I know I should be able to find "something" to start out with. We are thinking the North Carolina, however I want to know other southern states that are somewhat liberal as choices for us to look at as we begin to start a family and find roots. I have seen some similar post but they are old and pre same sex marriage legalization. Any suggestions of cities or areas?
Just curious, how did you guys decide who is the "wife"?

Coin toss? Rock, Paper, Scissors? What?

Old 04-27-2015, 12:30 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,920,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PingMan View Post
Just curious, how did you guys decide who is the "wife"?

Coin toss? Rock, Paper, Scissors? What?
No one has ever heard that one before...way to be smart and original!

They are obviously both women and both can be referred to as "wife" if they wish. Why would it matter to you anyway? Maybe you can start a movement to "protect" the words husband and wife.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:09 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylista1053 View Post
Hi,

I am recently married in a same sex marriage (hint, has to be a state where my marriage is recognized) and my wife and I are looking to relocate to the south due to weather and cost of living. I don't mind a red state with a super liberal epicenter. I am graduating with my masters degree in school counseling so I know I should be able to find "something" to start out with. We are thinking the North Carolina, however I want to know other southern states that are somewhat liberal as choices for us to look at as we begin to start a family and find roots. I have seen some similar post but they are old and pre same sex marriage legalization. Any suggestions of cities or areas?
Being gay and having lived in a few places here in the Southeast (along with travel and research of new places to live) can tell you the following would be your best bets...my top picks in bold based on LGBT quality of life factors like anti-hate vibe and visibility of the gay community.

Carrboro NC
Chapel Hill NC
Asheville NC
Durham NC

Boone NC
Winston Salem NC
Columbia SC
St Petersburg FL
Tampa FL
Jacksonville FL
Orlando FL
Lake Worth FL
Wilton Manors FL
Ft Lauderdale FL

Old 04-28-2015, 06:21 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,879,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin FBI View Post
Chapel Hill, NC, Carrboro, NC, Greenville, SC, Asheville, NC, Hunstville, AL, Nashville, TN, those are probably the most liberal southern cities.

LMAO. Greenville>>>No No NO, Bob Jones University.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:45 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,263,785 times
Why not the Atlanta area? That's probably the best pick, although I'd advise to stay away if you're not interested in larger cities. Look into Atlanta inside 285, the outer suburbs will be more conservative the further you venture out.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:09 AM

1,446 posts, read 2,287,456 times
Depending on the decision resulting from today's arguments at the US Supreme Court, your marriage may be recognized in all 50 states later this year. I believe the current count is 36. The current case concerns TN & KY in the south.

As for the most liberal cities in the South, I echo what some other posters have said. If you are looking at smaller places then Asheville, NC is a fine choice.

For bigger cities New Orleans and then Austin are very liberal. A lot of New Orleans has a very much "anything goes" vibe.

For very big cities, Atlanta and Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or