U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2015, 10:41 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,925,255 times
Reputation: 4077

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
The most racist places in America, according to Google - The Washington Post

Most of the cities listed are simply branded as liberal. They aren't and they are situated in socially backward states (by most measures).

Richmond, Norfolk/Virginia Beach and NoVa are the most solidly tolerant places in the South.

LGBT issues are important but as a member of that community income inequality, environmental issues and racism are equally important. See the map in the link above. It isn't some outlier. Every map measuring these types of things looks the same.
You're kidding right? Those are fine places and I would consider them liberal enough for me, but BY FAR not the most tolerant places in the South. There are several cities I would put ahead of all three.

I would not put a lot of faith in a study that relies on Google searches. There really isn't an effective way to measure tolerance in a specific area, because people don't always tell the truth if asked and you can't measure by isolated incidents or personal experiences either...but going by Google searches is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2015, 11:46 PM
 
252 posts, read 269,917 times
Reputation: 151
There isn't any intolerance for gays in the south. People here are trying to live the good life, not focused on gay people. Intolerance for gays occurs in countries like Iran that we are currently working on a nuke deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,099 posts, read 1,124,145 times
Reputation: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You're kidding right? Those are fine places and I would consider them liberal enough for me, but BY FAR not the most tolerant places in the South. There are several cities I would put ahead of all three.

I would not put a lot of faith in a study that relies on Google searches. There really isn't an effective way to measure tolerance in a specific area, because people don't always tell the truth if asked and you can't measure by isolated incidents or personal experiences either...but going by Google searches is ridiculous.
Funnily enough, Virginia Beach is one of the most conservative cities in the entire nation. Tolerant (meaning, we don't care), but conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 07:49 AM
 
2,702 posts, read 2,367,442 times
Reputation: 3104
Just because there isn't active hatred towards gays in day to day life doesn't mean there aren't people voting in legislators that are okay with discriminating against gays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,099 posts, read 1,124,145 times
Reputation: 1384
I haven't spoken to a single person here who actually hates gays. Everyone's of the "hate the sin, not the sinner" persuasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Southwest Michigan/Miami Beach Miami
1,949 posts, read 2,752,375 times
Reputation: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGarrison View Post
San Francisco seems right up your alley.
Liberal SOUTHERN cities..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,099 posts, read 1,124,145 times
Reputation: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Liberal SOUTHERN cities..
"Well, it's south of Oregon!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 08:08 AM
 
252 posts, read 269,917 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Just because there isn't active hatred towards gays in day to day life doesn't mean there aren't people voting in legislators that are okay with discriminating against gays.
Ok well prove it. Anybody can toss out accusations of bigotry.

Gays can vote, go to public schools with straight, get jobs, get into medical school, etc. Where is the discrimination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Research Triangle Area, NC
3,748 posts, read 2,563,903 times
Reputation: 5380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Asheville...NoVA...south FL...ATL...NOLA...etc.

There's a difference between being "blue" and being "liberal"....all of those areas may be democratic strongholds; but they don't seem to me at least to be as as uniformly canon "liberal" as Chapel Hill/Carrboro; Asheville would be the closest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2015, 08:23 AM
 
29,905 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Reputation: 18443
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
The most racist places in America, according to Google - The Washington Post

Most of the cities listed are simply branded as liberal. They aren't and they are situated in socially backward states (by most measures).

Richmond, Norfolk/Virginia Beach and NoVa are the most solidly tolerant places in the South.
Virginia is nice but no way in the world would I say its major metros are solely "the most solidly tolerant places in the South," particularly when you've not provided any substantial evidence to back up that assertion. A study of areas where people are most likely to Google the n-word really doesn't count. And even using this map, you'd have to include the major Texas metros (and yes, Texas is in the South so let's not go there) with other areas like the NC Triangle, south Florida, Atlanta, Nashville, etc. not far behind at all.

Quote:
LGBT issues are important but as a member of that community income inequality, environmental issues and racism are equally important. See the map in the link above. It isn't some outlier. Every map measuring these types of things looks the same.
Actually there are some major differences between this map and others. Rural areas in the Northeast and Midwest (which don't have many minorities to begin with) are shaded red on this map, and areas with significantly sized Native American populations are typically highlighted on maps that show disparities in terms of income, health outcomes, etc. by race/ethnicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top