U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:42 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,340,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It doesn't really matter if it's 4 times larger in city size. Those people are still voting on issues regardless of whether or not they are living 2 miles of downtown or 10 miles of downtown so it affects everyone within the city.
No s---. I already said that in my reply. But enforced policies is just one of many factors to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:01 PM

6,857 posts, read 7,149,163 times
Enforced policies are one of the best ways to know if a city is liberal or conservative.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:33 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,340,222 times
Quote:
Enforced policies are one of the best ways to know if a city is liberal or conservative.
...On paper. Policy doesn't always reflect the attitudes of the local citizen.

So we can continue to split this hair but it doesn't negate anything I said above. Your points only have half the truth in them.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:46 PM

18,828 posts, read 27,708,653 times
Quote:
It doesn't really matter if it's 4 times larger in city size. Those people are still voting on issues regardless of whether or not they are living 2 miles of downtown or 10 miles of downtown so it affects everyone within the city.
It kind of does. If Atlanta was 600 sq miles which includes some of the most conservative burbs in Atlanta, do you think the core would be as liberal. If Houston was just the 95 sq miles, do you think it would be rated as conservative? I don't know if it would be 100, but it would be very close. People in Kingwood will NEVER see eye to eye with people in Montrose on most issues.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:52 PM

6,611 posts, read 7,139,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It kind of does. If Atlanta was 600 sq miles which includes some of the most conservative burbs in Atlanta, do you think the core would be as liberal. If Houston was just the 95 sq miles, do you think it would be rated as conservative? I don't know if it would be 100, but it would be very close. People in Kingwood will NEVER see eye to eye with people in Montrose on most issues.
I'm not sure 600 square miles would include very conservative suburbs of Atlanta. I would like to see 600 square miles of Atlanta to see exactly what would be included. I guess it would be about 4 times the size it is now...

Old 05-05-2015, 08:01 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,493,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I grew up in North Raleigh and couldn't tell if it leaned more towards the conservative or liberal side. Certainly all of my high school teachers were liberal, though. However, I had kids in my classes who expressed delight when NC passed the Amendment 1 back in 2012 (I graduated the next year). Not trying to judge or stereotype, but I grew up with tons of preppy kids with political views leaning more towards the right (you could tell many of these kids were actual natives of NC). However, I also had tons of friends who were more liberal, and most of these kids were transplants or the children of transplants. When the Obama/Romney campaign went down, it literally divided the school. Arguments popped up in class all the time. Like I said, my political views lean more towards the left, but I think people give Wake County more liberal credit than it deserves. I think we're a solid purple county, we could go either way. However, maybe I'm wrong.
Interestingly, perhaps anecdotally, Wake County actually voted against Amendment 1 by the third highest margin after Orange and Durham counties.

Wake County being a blue county is a relatively recent phenomenon. It's a bit early to claim that it's blue as I believe it's gone for the winner of the national popular vote in every presidential election since 2000. Gore won by 51-49 in 2000, Bush won 51-49 in 2004. Obama won by double digits both times, but the real test will be with a different democratic candidate to see if that base of support remains. I think it probably is going to be blue on average for the long haul based on local elections but to a lesser extent than Durham and Orange--in that Republicans still have some influence and it's not a one-party county. A 60-40 rather than 80-20 sort of county.

Note that Asheville's Buncombe County has done roughly the same thing, funny enough. Asheville itself hasn't had the population to outweigh the rural parts of the county historically. Same goes for Raleigh--which does have a significant democratic majority, but which has been in a tug-of-war with the conservative suburbs it shares the county with for a long time.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:22 PM

6,857 posts, read 7,149,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes because then it would include suburbs like Decatur(which is a hotspot for Lesbian couples), Druid Hills, Briarcliff, Chamblee, BrookHaven, East Point which are all liberal in their own rights. A very large portion of the inner I-285 area is liberal or liberal leaning. It's not until you start going "outside of the perimeter", which is I-285 that you begin to see the conservative attitudes reign). That's why there's a big distinction between living ITP and OTP. ITP is probably about 900-1.1k square miles.

But even then, as far as the municipal equality scale is concerned, a lot of what was being graded can be enforced without voting so there's still no excuse why it's so low.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:04 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,400,313 times
I'm sure Wake County suburbs are more purple, leaning more towards the conservative side further out. I've heard some interesting remarks regarding Cary, I either hear it's quite conservative or it's full of hardcore liberal Yankees. Areas further out like Wendell and Zebulon are probably very conservative, or possibly the Northern Wake suburbs closer to Falls Lake. It's hard to tell for Wake County, seriously.

Atlanta is very liberal inside 285, one of the most liberal areas in the South. The suburbs further out, especially north of Atlanta (from what I've heard), are more conservative. I spoke to one guy from Decatur who was complaining about the Atlanta suburbs, he said areas along the lines of Marietta were more so conservative. From listening to him, Atlanta folks inside 285 don't want to be associated with the metro suburbs at all.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:09 AM

6,611 posts, read 7,139,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I'm sure Wake County suburbs are more purple, leaning more towards the conservative side further out. I've heard some interesting remarks regarding Cary, I either hear it's quite conservative or it's full of hardcore liberal Yankees. Areas further out like Wendell and Zebulon are probably very conservative, or possibly the Northern Wake suburbs closer to Falls Lake. It's hard to tell for Wake County, seriously.

Atlanta is very liberal inside 285, one of the most liberal areas in the South. The suburbs further out, especially north of Atlanta (from what I've heard), are more conservative. I spoke to one guy from Decatur who was complaining about the Atlanta suburbs, he said areas along the lines of Marietta were more so conservative. From listening to him, Atlanta folks inside 285 don't want to be associated with the metro suburbs at all.
My thoughts on the suburbs outside of 285 in Atlanta are that they are definitely more conservative than inside the city, but still very moderate overall - with liberal pockets here and there. I would never call the suburbs around Atlanta hard-core conservatives all the way right, but they are more like just bit more moderate compared to the liberal city. This is all just "in general" of course.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:16 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,783,610 times
Quote:
Yes because then it would include suburbs like Decatur(which is a hotspot for Lesbian couples), Druid Hills, Briarcliff, Chamblee, BrookHaven, East Point which are all liberal in their own rights. A very large portion of the inner I-285 area is liberal or liberal leaning. It's not until you start going "outside of the perimeter", which is I-285 that you begin to see the conservative attitudes reign). That's why there's a big distinction between living ITP and OTP. ITP is probably about 900-1.1k square miles.
I believe the area inside the Perimeter is slightly more than 300 square miles.

Quote:
But even then, as far as the municipal equality scale is concerned, a lot of what was being graded can be enforced without voting so there's still no excuse why it's so low.
Then how do you explain the election of Annise Parker?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or