U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 10:22 AM

223 posts, read 304,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The west side of Lake Michigan has four local accents, going from Chcago up to Escanaba. The very noticeable ones are Chicago, Milwaukee, Upper Wisconsin and Yooper. Those four are very easy to distinguish.
I'm not sure anyone under 50 has a "Milwaukee accent," which may as well be called the Cudahy accent or Greenfield accent these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 02:38 PM
chh

418 posts, read 495,930 times
Here in Michigan people don't think they have an accent, but according to other people Michiganders have a pretty distinct accent.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:03 AM

363 posts, read 618,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Iowa has fairly neutral accents. The northern 1/3 is more of a slight Minnesota like hybrid. The eastern 1/3 of Iowa has a bit more of the northern cities vowel shift accent. The southern 1/4 south of Des Moines starts to pick up more of the lower Midwest drawl.
This is just what I call the general American Accent which in my experience includes all of Iowa, most of Nebraska (Not that there's an accent but I'm sure western NE is closer to wyoming or colorado), Southeast South Dakota (basically the towns on the Missouri River) Northern Missouri (goes as far as KC) Northern Kansas, Central Illinois and maybe a bit of Indiana but i'm not sure.

To me its the area where a lot of folks who were anchors or presenters on TV were from for example

Tom Brokaw- Grew up in Yankton South Dakota

Johnny Carson- born in Iowa and spent most of his young life in Norfolk NE

Walter Cronkite- born in Missouri (but moved to Texas)

Walt Disney- Born in Illinois but spent some of his youth in northern Missouri

John Wayne- Born in Winterset Iowa

Henry Fonda- grew up in Omaha NE

Ronald Reagan - grew up in Central Illinois

Old 05-06-2015, 11:29 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,203,442 times
I'm from California originally and have been living in eastern Iowa for many years now. I've never noticed an accent except maybe in north-western Iowa. They seem to have a very slight drawal like my relatives in eastern South Dakota.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:43 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,271,388 times
I'm sure if you live within 20 miles of the Minnesota/Wisconsin borders in Iowa, and I hate using the example, you might sound a little Fargo-ish. Rest of the state, probably more so General American.

Out of curiosity, what would western South Dakota accents sound like? So eastern South Dakota is more so General American?

Old 05-15-2015, 11:50 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,208,230 times
Chicago native here. About 15 years ago, I did tech support, so I'd talk to people from all over the country. Most couldn't tell where I was from, there are only a few words that are dead giveaway dialects (like saying Chee-CAH-go with a slight nasal tone). Here are a few we say that do sound accent-y though:

"Rilly" instead of "really"
"Melk" instead of "milk"
"hafta" instead of "have to"
"da" instead of "th" words (sometimes)

"You rilly halfta shake dat melk cahrton..."

Old 05-18-2015, 11:21 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,196,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
"You rilly halfta shake dat melk cahrton..."
The rest of the sentence looks very Upper Midwestern, but do people really do the "d instead of th" thing in Chicago still? I feel like no one under 80 speaks like that anymore.

Interestingly, the Northeastern quadrant of Minneapolis on the east side of the river is referred to as "Nordeast", so that sound definitely used to be a thing here at one time, too.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:06 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,399,877 times
People say dis and dat in Wisconsin, for sure. Country areas. Very strong in the Central part of the state.

Have never really noticed anyone saying "melk" here, and I've lived in every area code in WI.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:01 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,196,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Have never really noticed anyone saying "melk" here, and I've lived in every area code in WI.
I always thought "melk" was a Minnesotanism...my parents are guilty of pronouncing it exactly like that.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:38 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,399,877 times
That would make sense, then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or