Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:41 AM

7 posts, read 7,472 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a 25 year old woman and I own my own business where I get to work from home. I'm currently living in southern Ohio, but because my work is all online, I have the freedom to move anywhere. The problem with that much freedom is I've found it impossible to even START deciding where to move.

I'm open to anywhere and once I have some suggestions, I want to take those ideas and travel to each city and find out which one is right for me. I'm hoping that there are some people here who are fiercely in love with where they live and want to share their thoughts!

Ideals:

- Cost of living that is not TOO high: My income doesn't increase with cost of living upon moving to a new city, so I'm looking for something that won't require me to share a studio apartment with a roommate (in other words, New York City is probably not for me). That being said, I am probably looking in the $2,500/month for rent at the top of my budget right now and would love for that to be a house or town home with a little bit of a yard for a dog.

- Ideally no snow or very minimal snow.

- Close to the ocean (close being maybe under 3 or 4 hours. Ideally less, but I'd like to be able to drive to the beach). I also am fine with Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf.

- I'm not really looking for a nightlife scene with clubs, but having nice locally owned places to eat is great. Bonus points if there is a culture that embraces locally grown food sources.

- A thriving community perhaps with at least a decent population of young professionals and organizations or activities that would allow me to meet people.

- Concert venues in town or within driving distance.

- I know that every city has crime and I'm realistic with that, but somewhere that is generally considered a safe place to live for a single woman.

I think that's really the basics and I hope those aren't too picky, but thanks so much for any input anyone can offer! I'm really looking forward to seeing where people suggest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:23 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salleykn View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a 25 year old woman and I own my own business where I get to work from home. I'm currently living in southern Ohio, but because my work is all online, I have the freedom to move anywhere. The problem with that much freedom is I've found it impossible to even START deciding where to move.

I'm open to anywhere and once I have some suggestions, I want to take those ideas and travel to each city and find out which one is right for me. I'm hoping that there are some people here who are fiercely in love with where they live and want to share their thoughts!

Ideals:

- Cost of living that is not TOO high: My income doesn't increase with cost of living upon moving to a new city, so I'm looking for something that won't require me to share a studio apartment with a roommate (in other words, New York City is probably not for me). That being said, I am probably looking in the $2,500/month for rent at the top of my budget right now and would love for that to be a house or town home with a little bit of a yard for a dog.

- Close to the ocean (close being maybe under 3 or 4 hours. Ideally less, but I'd like to be able to drive to the beach). I also am fine with Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf.

- I'm not really looking for a nightlife scene with clubs, but having nice locally owned places to eat is great. Bonus points if there is a culture that embraces locally grown food sources.

- A thriving community perhaps with at least a decent population of young professionals and organizations or activities that would allow me to meet people.

- I know that every city has crime and I'm realistic with that, but somewhere that is generally considered a safe place to live for a single woman.

I think that's really the basics and I hope those aren't too picky, but thanks so much for any input anyone can offer! I'm really looking forward to seeing where people suggest!
Try this quiz, it's lots of fun and will help: find yourspot.com. Just combine find and your. It *** out the website when I try to post it. I have no clue why.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:49 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Greenville, SC hits all your requirements although it's about 3.5-4 hours to the Atlantic Ocean. But with plenty of closer lakes.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Greenville, SC hits all your requirements although it's about 3.5-4 hours to the Atlantic Ocean. But with plenty of closer lakes.
Funny you say that, that's where I live. It does fit a lot of the OP criteria. Yes, the beach is just over 3 hrs but you are right about the lakes. We have some beautiful crystal clear lakes. If they consider here, I'd definitely recommend downtown Greenville. The OP could get a 1 bedroom apartment for about $1000, maybe a little more in downtown. Of course, a townhome or house would be more but doable on the budget. We have some small concert venues but for the bigger acts, the OP would have to go to Charlotte or Atlanta. The COL is quite low here compared to other cities. It is safe here as well. I know some statistics may scare you but it's pretty much isolated to one area. We don't get much if any snow either. If not Greenville, check out Charlotte, NC for sure.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:05 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
I am thinking SC or FL. Both great for little to no snow. We are moving from western ohio to FL next year. We have done extensive research and really fell in love. SC was also considered for us but choose FL. We are also mid 20s.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
I am thinking SC or FL. Both great for little to no snow. We are moving from western ohio to FL next year. We have done extensive research and really fell in love. SC was also considered for us but choose FL. We are also mid 20s.
Before I moved to Greenville, I lived in the Orlando area for 13 years. I like both.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:03 PM

7 posts, read 7,472 times
Thanks so much for the input, you guys. I think I have some family in Greenville, but I've never given it a thought, I'll look into it. Florida is a definite option and I love the Seaside/ Santa Rosa Beach area as well as West Palm, but I just worry that they're so vacation-y that the people I'd meet would be gone at the end of each week. Maybe that's a completely skewed perception, though!

Old 05-20-2015, 10:01 PM
AV8

17 posts, read 17,997 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Ideals:

You might enjoy checking out Las Vegas, NV! It pretty much checks every box. There is no state income tax, you can rent a nice place in a safe part of town with your budget. You are 3-4 hours from the California coast as far as your ocean requirement goes. The weather here is overall nice and meets your no to minimal snow requirement. We have many young professionals, and unlimited entertainment. Las Vegas has great food options and many concert venues "in town". Las Vegas pretty much has everything you listed.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:55 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Ideals:

If you're even considering Greenville SC given your criteria Asheville NC would be a better fit in my opinion. Asheville receives very little snow, is within your timeframe of driving to the beach, is a thriving small city with lots of music/concerts in town, has one of the best food scenes in the country with an astoundingly wide selection of excellent restaurants (given it's size) and major support for locally sourced-locally grown, and overall is quite safe to live in.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
St Petersburg Florida.
http://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/ci...etersburg.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.