U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,927,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You are 100% on the history similarities, but I think that's where similarities end.
That's the thread topic...despite their SIMILAR HISTORY why is Virginia today so different from Massachusetts? The topic is asking why they are so different now when they were so much more similar then.

I guess the historical similarities between the two colonies/states began to wane due to different views on slavery and the more agrarian economy of Virginia.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 04-27-2015 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:23 PM

29,943 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Virginia (except for Northern Virginia) is perhaps the most conservative state in the nation, and is perhaps the state that first comes to mind when the word "Confederacy" is mentioned to a Yankee.
OK, let's stop right here because you're wrong.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:12 AM

12,675 posts, read 10,505,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
That's the thread topic...despite their SIMILAR HISTORY why is Virginia today so different from Massachusetts? The topic is asking why they are so different now when they were so much more similar then.
Yes, I addressed that:

Quote:
Well, they are in different regions. They are culturally different, and kind of always have been. They have similar histories as being states where the earliest European settlements in the New World were, but that's about it as far as I know.
That last sentence was also me saying: they have similar histories, but so what?

Others elaborated more. I was actually going to mention weather like NJBrazen but that seemed trivial - but I'm glad someone else thought of it too.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:35 AM

998 posts, read 882,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Virginia (except for Northern Virginia) is perhaps the most conservative state in the nation, and is perhaps the state that first comes to mind when the word "Confederacy" is mentioned to a Yankee. Ironically, Massachusetts is now known to be perhaps the most liberal state in the country, and is the state that is perhaps thought to be the most "Yankee" of all Northern/Midwestern/Western states (but of course is far from the biggest of all those).
Have you even BEEN to Virginia?! That first sentence of yours is way out there.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:48 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,269,544 times
Virginia outside NOVA is the most conservative state in the nation? HA! Not even close. In fact, Virginia might be the most liberal of all the southern states (even more so than North Carolina).

Old 04-28-2015, 07:15 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
They don't have a similar history. One was a slave state, which had a huge cultural and economic impact on the state, which would reverberate for centuries. The other gained large numbers of European immigrants after the industrial revolution, again with great impact on cultural and economic outcome..

Also, simple historical association cannot iron out differences in geography and climate, which enforce their own trajectories of cultural and economic development.

You might as well ask why Wisconsin and California are so different, both having gained statehood about the same time.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:22 AM

17,248 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Well, one thing is for sure. Virginia is a heck of a lot warmer than Massachusetts.

I'm heading to Virginia Beach this summer. I wonder if I'd be eager to take a dip in the ocean beach in Massachusetts, even in the middle of July.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:38 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,269,544 times
Massachusetts is just so far up north. I'd compare Virginia to Pennsylvania if I had to compare Virginia to a northern state. Leaving Maryland out, which basically sits in the middle. Even then, there are plenty of differences between Virginia and Pennsylvania. I think Virginia is more similar to North Carolina than any other state, although some folks would definitely say Maryland.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Massachusetts is just so far up north. I'd compare Virginia to Pennsylvania if I had to compare Virginia to a northern state. Leaving Maryland out, which basically sits in the middle. Even then, there are plenty of differences between Virginia and Pennsylvania. I think Virginia is more similar to North Carolina than any other state, although some folks would definitely say Maryland.
VA and NC are very different historically...I think the point is that despite their historic similarities, VA and MA are very different today.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Yes, I addressed that:

That last sentence was also me saying: they have similar histories, but so what?

Others elaborated more. I was actually going to mention weather like NJBrazen but that seemed trivial - but I'm glad someone else thought of it too.
You also said this: "You are 100% on the history similarities, but I think that's where similarities end", which is what I was referring to. It is exactly what the OP said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or