U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 01:09 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,120,590 times

Advertisements

Other than Northeast cities none. Only in places like Boston is it possible. Anywhere else you will be deemed a idiot and told to get a car by local people.

I would not want be in any city without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 01:16 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Other than Northeast cities none. Only in places like Boston is it possible. Anywhere else you will be deemed a idiot and told to get a car by local people.

Same here. No matter how great the transit system there are always places that are hard to get to without a car. When I lived in London I had a 15 minute walk from the station to my school that really sucked in the rain/cold and I really wished for a car. Also buying groceries is a real hassle.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:17 PM

1,179 posts, read 659,607 times
Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore (?) and DC, plus San Francisco. Since New York and San Francisco are off your list, that basically only leaves 3-4 convienent options, all in the same region.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:27 PM

8,006 posts, read 16,061,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Same here. No matter how great the transit system there are always places that are hard to get to without a car. When I lived in London I had a 15 minute walk from the station to my school that really sucked in the rain/cold and I really wished for a car. Also buying groceries is a real hassle.
Eh, I think it's how you adjust. I found the opposite to be true and I lived in a city that isn't quite as transit friendly as London (Boston). When I needed a car, I rented one. It's far cheaper to rent a few times per year as needed than it is to own and maintain a car (and pay to park it in the city). Zipcar makes it really easy for city dwellers.

Groceries aren't hard. I used to make more frequent small trips (on the way home from work) rather than one big trip. When I need to make a big trip or shop for things outside the city (like go to Ikea), I'd A) Rent a car/Zipcar, or B) Take a Cab/Uber/Lyft.

When the weather sucks extra bad, Uber, Lyft, or Cabs made life easier. In fact, it's nicer to sit in the back of a warm car and let someone else deal with driving in traffic in the crappy weather than deal with it yourself.

Honestly, services like Uber have made it easier than ever to live without a car. The fill transit gaps and eliminate the hassle of tracking down and flagging cabs. The combination of relying on transit and walking mostly with occasional Zipcars, rentals and cabs/uber/lyft makes it pretty easy as long as the city is somewhat transit friendly and walkable.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore (?) and DC, plus San Francisco. Since New York and San Francisco are off your list, that basically only leaves 3-4 convienent options, all in the same region.
There are several big U.S. cities outside of those few where people live without cars, but they are pretty confined to a few areas that are well-connected by transit. Lots of people live in Midtown/Downtown Atlanta without a car and seem to do fine, but if they need to get to Cobb County it's a real adventure and very time consuming...and a large part of Metro Atlanta is inaccessible to them without catching a ride with someone. It seems like a lot of cities are like that.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Eh, I think it's how you adjust. I found the opposite to be true and I lived in a city that isn't quite as transit friendly as London (Boston). When I needed a car, I rented one. It's far cheaper to rent a few times per year as needed than it is to own and maintain a car (and pay to park it in the city). Zipcar makes it really easy for city dwellers.

Groceries aren't hard. I used to make more frequent small trips (on the way home from work) rather than one big trip. When I need to make a big trip or shop for things outside the city (like go to Ikea), I'd A) Rent a car/Zipcar, or B) Take a Cab/Uber/Lyft.

When the weather sucks extra bad, Uber, Lyft, or Cabs made life easier. In fact, it's nicer to sit in the back of a warm car and let someone else deal with driving in traffic in the crappy weather than deal with it yourself.

Honestly, services like Uber have made it easier than ever to live without a car. The fill transit gaps and eliminate the hassle of tracking down and flagging cabs. The combination of relying on transit and walking mostly with occasional Zipcars, rentals and cabs/uber/lyft makes it pretty easy as long as the city is somewhat transit friendly and walkable.
The biggest difference is that I didn't WANT to drive in London. Even crossing the street was nearly deadly a couple of times because I had to remember to look for cars coming from a different direction than I was used to in the U.S. And driving to work would have been a nightmare.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:06 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,519,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post

Not true. There are places all over the country where it is actually easy to live without a car.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:19 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,566,925 times
Pittsburgh is very doable without a car within the City.... Buses, Light Rail, 3 BRT's, Uber, Lyft, and Zipcar... Uber and Lyft are almost never more than a 10 min wait here, unless its during Thursday, Friday, Saturday nights, or big event weekends.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:33 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
Makes a difference if you're talking cities you CAN live in without a car, and cities where you would WANT to live in car free.

I'm making 6 figures with no debt, a $1,100 mortgage payment and I haven't had a car here in 12 years, because I have no interest in getting one. I just don't think about it or need one. I rent a few times a year and I'm always relieved when I can ditch the thing. It's just an obligation and a responsibility.

Many cities you can live in car free, but I wonder if you would choose to if money were no issue. I would think that might narrow it down a bit to certain areas like NYC, Chicago, San Fran, Boston and DC.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:37 PM

2,704 posts, read 2,368,956 times
Yeah, it really is neighborhood dependent. I'd say most major US cities have some areas that you can live in comfortably without a car. In the more bike-friendly cities, get a bike and it makes it even more doable. Cities with high taxi and ride-share (Uber, Lyft, etc) presence are going to be at the top of the list. I know my friend lives in the South Lake Union neighborhood of Seattle and doesn't have a car and it's not a big deal at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or