U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 03:29 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,923,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Yeah, it really is neighborhood dependent. I'd say most major US cities have some areas that you can live in comfortably without a car. In the more bike-friendly cities, get a bike and it makes it even more doable. Cities with high taxi and ride-share (Uber, Lyft, etc) presence are going to be at the top of the list. I know my friend lives in the South Lake Union neighborhood of Seattle and doesn't have a car and it's not a big deal at all.
It's pretty much like that anywhere. NYC is undoubtedly the biggest exception, but there are some areas of Boston/SF/DC/etc where living without a car would be very inconvenient, while there are other areas where it would be simple. I think the main difference is that some cities have more neighborhoods that are connected by convenient transit than others, ad those are the ones where it would be easiest to live without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 03:38 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,119,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Not true. There are places all over the country where it is actually easy to live without a car.
Maybe so but in many of those places it's very inconvenient as businesses are often far away and if the town/state is big enough where the towns are far away from each other then it's not worth walking. You will definantly find yourself asking for rides in them places.

North East states and the Pacific Northwest west of the mountians by the ocean is the only place in this country I would do any time without a ride. Even Chicago has things too far away to be without a car.

Last edited by Europeanflava; 04-28-2015 at 03:47 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 03:38 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,513,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Yeah, it really is neighborhood dependent. I'd say most major US cities have some areas that you can live in comfortably without a car. In the more bike-friendly cities, get a bike and it makes it even more doable. Cities with high taxi and ride-share (Uber, Lyft, etc) presence are going to be at the top of the list. I know my friend lives in the South Lake Union neighborhood of Seattle and doesn't have a car and it's not a big deal at all.
Yes! Sometimes that's all we need...a few well-connected neighborhoods where it's easy to live without a car. Doesn't have to be a whole city. I'll be living in Orlando soon without a car, albeit not permanently, but I'll be living in a walkable neighborhood that is only a few miles from Downtown...and the city has a high Uber presence.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:40 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,513,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Maybe so but in many of those places it's very inconvient as businesses are often far away and if the town/state is big enough where the towns are far away from each other then it's not worth walking.
Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, etc. are all great places to live without a car. And they aren't in the Northeast. There are many more cities as well. I don't think they are inconvenient at all. But then again, you said you wouldn't rely on any public transit system...so that changes things.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:48 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,831,308 times
One thing to consider is dietary quality. For a healthy diet, you need access to fresh produce. Having a car makes it easy to get to the supermarket. Often corner-stores have lackluster produce, and God knows where restaurants get it from.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:29 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,246,648 times
NYC is the only city where it is the norm to be car free.

Then there are five or six cities where it's common, but nowhere near the norm- DC, Boston, SF, Chicago, Philly, and maybe Seattle (and basically in that order).

After that, basically none, except for some hipster enclaves and college towns.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:22 PM

The East coast and Seattle are the only foot friendly places in this country.

You would be a fool to try to live anyplace else without a car.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:53 PM

90 posts, read 120,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Other than Northeast cities none. Only in places like Boston is it possible. Anywhere else you will be deemed a idiot and told to get a car by local people.

I would not want be in any city without a car.
So even if you lived in New York City you'd have a car? THAT'D be idiotic.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:55 PM

90 posts, read 120,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Same here. No matter how great the transit system there are always places that are hard to get to without a car. When I lived in London I had a 15 minute walk from the station to my school that really sucked in the rain/cold and I really wished for a car. Also buying groceries is a real hassle.
A 15 minute walk isn't that long.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWithNoName View Post
So even if you lived in New York City you'd have a car? THAT'D be idiotic.
Northeast I'm cool without one but I'd prefer to have one stored in a garage in Jersey somewhere just in case I wanted to travel out of town for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or