Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 05:32 AM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times

Advertisements

This used to be a forum where people would ask for relocation advice within the US (recommend a city, etc) and has seemingly devolved into varying characteristic questions about Americans that would normally have been posted in forums like Politics or Psychology or "what if" questions that are a bit whacky. I have been on this forum for years and it seems very recent with these changes. Is it just me...????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 10:38 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,786 times
It's the $500 posting contest, people go and post things that are more likely to solicit response (ie argument)

Old 04-29-2015, 10:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
It got kinda boring, with hundreds of people asking for recommendations for cities, all of which always had exactly the same sets of criteria, and the same people recommending their home town to everyone.

Low crime, perfect year round climate, scenery and outdoor activities nearby, pet and gay friendly, music scene, low rent, high income, lots of jobs, no traffic, walkable, open carry, good schools, blablablabla. Madison Asheville Austin Portland blablablabla

Old 04-29-2015, 12:49 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
This used to be a forum where people would ask for relocation advice within the US (recommend a city, etc) and has seemingly devolved into varying characteristic questions about Americans that would normally have been posted in forums like Politics or Psychology or "what if" questions that are a bit whacky. I have been on this forum for years and it seems very recent with these changes. Is it just me...????
this post is off topic and likely belongs in the "About The Forum" Forum

Old 04-29-2015, 02:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
It's kinda like a "my state is better than your state" issue. Someone asks a question and gets an answer, then someone disagrees with that answer and pretty soon there is a big debate and the OP's question gets lost. It's getting hard to differentiate between this and the City v City forum at times.

Many of the comments about the various cities and/or states don't even come from people who live in the places about which they give information. They just spout hearsay they gleaned from Social Media or TV shows.

I agree with the OP that this is a fairly recent phenomenon. I have been on CD for nearly eight years and I believe this kind of thing is fairly recent. It's a shame because people looking for straightforward answers have to plough through all the arguments. That's why I always tell people never move to a place to which you haven't spent time not as a tourist but as an actual potential resident.

I did exactly this when I relocated last year. I got a lot of good information from CD and some misleading. I knew how to separated the hype from the bull. I visited all my potential relocation sites with a mind as to what it would be like to live there.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:45 PM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
this post is off topic and likely belongs in the "About The Forum" Forum
LOL...that's hysterical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.