Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:37 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,934,936 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that even though the Midwest has colder winters than the Northwest, winters there seem to be shorter as well. Like spring and autumn in the Midwest are quite warm and nice much of the time, but pretty much just slightly warmer versions of winter in say, Seattle. Even Minneapolis seems to reach summer-like weather faster than Seattle, averaging 70F highs by mid-May while Seattle doesn't until mid-June.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 02:27 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,069,262 times
I think it's 55-60 in Chicago this week and 68-72 in Seattle. Portland is even warmer. No comparison. Chicago still has bare trees in late March or early April while the northwest starts blooming some time in February or early March.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:07 AM

9,441 posts, read 10,723,774 times
It all depends on where in the Midwest. In southern Indiana or Illinois spring is much nicer and comes earlier. However if your sitting in Grand Rapids Michigan or Duluth Minnesota then you may be shoveling snow as late as early May. Yes I said May. Many people just don't realize how harsh winter can be in the upper Midwest. There are places up there that wont see leaves on their trees until mid May, and last year those pictures of ice on Lake Superior for Memorial day weekend are worth a thousand words concerning their climate. That does not mean there is never nice weather in April, but cool damp or even cold weather is still common in the Spring up there. By far its the toughest climate in the lower 48.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:40 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,554,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I've noticed that even though the Midwest has colder winters than the Northwest, winters there seem to be shorter as well. Like spring and autumn in the Midwest are quite warm and nice much of the time, but pretty much just slightly warmer versions of winter in say, Seattle. Even Minneapolis seems to reach summer-like weather faster than Seattle, averaging 70F highs by mid-May while Seattle doesn't until mid-June.

What do you think?
Land warms up faster than oceans. Any cities next to an ocean will have more stable and less fluctuating temperatures than a city farther inland.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I think it's 55-60 in Chicago this week and 68-72 in Seattle. Portland is even warmer. No comparison. Chicago still has bare trees in late March or early April while the northwest starts blooming some time in February or early March.
It's not really typical of most years, though, then again who knows if this is the "new normal" with climate change.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
By far its the toughest climate in the lower 48.
I dunno, I would personally say Phoenix is worse. I don't do heat and it's hot there pretty much all year! You can always put on a parka but in the heat you're screwed if you have to be outside or the AC breaks.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:42 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,891,258 times
Quote:
I dunno, I would personally say Phoenix is worse. I don't do heat and it's hot there pretty much all year! You can always put on a parka but in the heat you're screwed if you have to be outside or the AC breaks.
Northern Maine? I'd say the cold lasts pretty long there as well.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:59 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,138,956 times
Cities like Seattle have a very low beta, or variability in temps, while cities in the Midwest/Northeast like Minneapolis or Boston have a lot of variability, or high beta. The highs are higher and the lows are lower, so even if the annual average temp is similar, cold Midwest/Northeastern cities have to get hotter faster in order to reach their apex on the bell curve, so to speak.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:30 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,069,262 times
Quote:
It's not really typical of most years, though, then again who knows if this is the "new normal" with climate change.
It's very typical, it's just not as sunny as this year. Chicago becomes warmer than western WA and OR in late May. Another thing, Eastern WA and OR are significantly warmer than the Midwest starting in March. These places see 60F in March and 70F+ degrees in April very often.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
It's very typical, it's just not as sunny as this year. Chicago becomes warmer than western WA and OR in late May. Another thing, Eastern WA and OR are significantly warmer than the Midwest starting in March. These places see 60F in March and 70F+ degrees in April very often.
https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States

Actually Bend doesn't see highs above 62F average until June 1! I think people underrate how cold eastern Oregon and Washington are. Their annual means are nearly as low as the ones in Minnesota in many areas. I would say Seneca, OR is probably colder than Minneapolis on average, for example, year round.

Last edited by Mini-apple-less; 04-18-2015 at 04:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.