U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 01:33 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,197,377 times

Advertisements

It's the first of the month and I still haven't gotten my welfare check in the mail. Have any other West Coasters here gotten their DCSS checks and food stamp EBT cards yet?

Worst. Region. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 01:38 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,921,409 times
I don't have a dog in the fight but I personally enjoy the West Coast better than the East Coast. I would love to move to California but the cost of living is too high for me right now and I have to be closer to my family and gf. I would love to move to San Diego someday that place is amazing.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:40 PM

1,400 posts, read 2,287,236 times
The West also has the fastest population growth of any U.S. region.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I don't have a dog in the fight but I personally enjoy the West Coast better than the East Coast. I would love to move to California but the cost of living is too high for me right now and I have to be closer to my family and gf. I would love to move to San Diego someday that place is amazing.
Honestly, I think being closer to your family and GF should take precedence over the cost of living. The only thing I really find expensive here vis-a-vis other states is rent prices (which is a huge factor, don't get me wrong) and maybe car insurance.

Groceries actually end up being cheaper here, utilities aren't used as much (especially in Coastal California), and usually jobs pay a bit more here, enough to at least to make up some the rent prices (not all though). One of my buddies in the IE found a job for $20/hr as a desk jockey of some sort, and the job market in that part of SoCal is completely awful.

As long as you're financially responsible, and not one of those $30,000 millionaires (which IMO this site is full of), then its very much manageable.

But being close to family and girlfriend, that's way way more important. That is why I'm still in LA myself.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:08 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,885,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
The West also has the fastest population growth of any U.S. region.
I thought this was the South?

Old 05-01-2015, 02:12 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,921,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Honestly, I think being closer to your family and GF should take precedence over the cost of living. The only thing I really find expensive here vis-a-vis other states is rent prices (which is a huge factor, don't get me wrong) and maybe car insurance.

Groceries actually end up being cheaper here, utilities aren't used as much (especially in Coastal California), and usually jobs pay a bit more here, enough to at least to make up some the rent prices (not all though). One of my buddies in the IE found a job for $20/hr as a desk jockey of some sort, and the job market in that part of SoCal is completely awful.

As long as you're financially responsible, and not one of those $30,000 millionaires (which IMO this site is full of), then its very much manageable.

But being close to family and girlfriend, that's way way more important. That is why I'm still in LA myself.
Those 30,000 millionaires people crack me up they are everywhere now, seriously thou who wants to pretend to be richer than they are I don't get it, women see right through your games now a days. I do the opposite I like to pretend I am poorer than I am. I am a baller on a budget lol

Old 05-01-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Those 30,000 millionaires people crack me up they are everywhere now, seriously thou who wants to pretend to be richer than they are I don't get it, women see right through your games now a days. I do the opposite I like to pretend I am poorer than I am. I am a baller on a budget lol
I wish there were more people like you, haha

The great thing about California in general is that the climate is usually favorable enough that cheap dates (IE beach dates or hiking) is much easier to do. I've abused those two kinds of dates so much, that it's almost formulaic.

There's plenty of free stuff to do here (and anywhere really) that being a show-off for wealth you don't have is useless. Yeah, you'll probably get a CERTAIN kind of girl, but that ends up being way more stress than it needs to be because you have to keep up an appearance that really doesn't exist.

Of course, if you wanna buy a Merc 550 on credit, that works too. My friend did that, but still lives at his parent's house. Fancy that, eh?

Old 05-02-2015, 05:20 AM

105 posts, read 78,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I do not believe any of this. According to this article CT is the best State.

Study: Connecticut Is The Best State - Hartford Courant

We have a better QOL and income over every other State.
Lol.

I don't think anyone takes CT seriously.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:50 AM

21,202 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I thought this was the South?
It is, but let's not derail this thread with facts!

Half of the Top 20 cities for Job Growth are in the South.

Large Cities Rankings - 2014 Best Cities for Job Growth | Newgeography.com

Old 05-02-2015, 06:11 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,203,448 times
Asia's doing better than Europe. It has been that way for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.