Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 11:22 PM

61 posts, read 93,321 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm moving because it makes financial sense to do so. I'm not moving for work so any place in the US (or even overseas, I suppose) would be a possibility. I've so far lived in both northern and southern CA as well as NYC. After careful consideration, I've narrowed my requirements down to the following top three:

1. Cost of housing. I'd like a 1500 -2000 sf house for 500k or less and ideally as close to 250k as possible. More than anything else I want the backyard to look out into an expansive natural scene / undeveloped (and will never be developed) land
2. Gun rights. I would like to be able to conceal carry. In CA where I live currently there are a couple counties that currently have some de facto "shall-issue" policies - like OC and SD - but these are not guaranteed to continue
3. Warm weather with very mild winters. By this I mean average winter highs no less than 60s F. I do not mind hotter weather, such as highs up to the low 100s.

Bonus: Socially liberal and racially diverse or at least tolerant. I'm personally very socially liberal but can tolerate a great deal of conservatism if its more of the libertarian brand and not overtly religious. Most important is that I not feel threatened because I am a member of a minority. Racial diversity would be a plus but I can easily tolerate a total lack of it so long as I feel safe.

The cities that immediately appealed to me were Portland, OR and inland San Diego, CA but I eliminated them for the following reasons:
Portland - winters are too cold; I found norCal to be too cold and I know Portland is colder
inland SD - very uncertain gun rights, will not get the house / backyard I want for what I can afford

I then started considering AZ despite what I've heard about the racism and conservatism. The housing prices, warm weather, desert landscapes, strong gun rights, and proximity to CA (to check up on investment property) are appealing points. After clarifying my top three criteria listed above, I think Tucson may be a good fit. Admittedly, the crosses in the pictures of the home listings are a bit off putting, but so long as the attitude is "live and let live" I will be fine. I don't need to be around like-minded people so long as I feel safe and am left alone. I figure that I will travel whenever I want a dose of something different.

Are there any other areas / cities I should consider?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 05:07 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
I agree that Tucson is probably going to be your best fit. It's pretty much it's exactly what you're looking for. I'd say that, for the most post part, there is a "live and let live attitude." Though Tucson is supposedly less religious than Seattle and most people are not religious at all (http://www.americanbible.org/feature...minded-cities), there is a small yet vocal religious minority in the city. In terms of religion, must like politics, Tucsonans tend to gravitate to extremes. It's quite the opposite of, say, New Jersey, where everyone is nominally Catholic, but they never talk about it.

Your second best option is probably Las Vegas. However, I wouldn't call Vegas libertarian as much as it's politically apathetic. I also feel like Tucson has more character and has more to offer in terms of outdoor activities. Tucson's cost of living is lower. Vegas, on the other hand, has better restaurants, has a better airport, and is closer to Southern California. Both cities were hit hard by the Great Recession, both cities suffer from not having diverse economies, both cities have crappy schools, and both cities have relatively high property crime rates.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:20 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,457 times
Besides Arizona, look into Florida.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:22 AM

728 posts, read 973,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
OP pretty much described Florida to me. I don't see AZ as socially liberal. Especially with their immigration and gay marriage stances.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
OP pretty much described Florida to me. I don't see AZ as socially liberal. Especially with their immigration and gay marriage stances.
Any specific recommendations for Florida? I absolutely hate mosquitoes from experience in tropical foreign countries... so if they're all over FL, that would be a reason to cross the entire state off my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I agree that Tucson is probably going to be your best fit. It's pretty much it's exactly what you're looking for. I'd say that, for the most post part, there is a "live and let live attitude." Though Tucson is supposedly less religious than Seattle and most people are not religious at all (http://www.americanbible.org/feature...minded-cities), there is a small yet vocal religious minority in the city. In terms of religion, must like politics, Tucsonans tend to gravitate to extremes. It's quite the opposite of, say, New Jersey, where everyone is nominally Catholic, but they never talk about it.

Your second best option is probably Las Vegas. However, I wouldn't call Vegas libertarian as much as it's politically apathetic. I also feel like Tucson has more character and has more to offer in terms of outdoor activities. Tucson's cost of living is lower. Vegas, on the other hand, has better restaurants, has a better airport, and is closer to Southern California. Both cities were hit hard by the Great Recession, both cities suffer from not having diverse economies, both cities have crappy schools, and both cities have relatively high property crime rates.
Thanks for the suggestion of LV. I hate LV - I'm a quiet, introverted, bookish type who is into intellectual pursuits, artistic hobbies, and outdoors solitary activities like hiking/running. Also I think LV is a bit on the chilly side in the winter, if I recall correctly.

What about Austin, TX? Would it fit my criteria?

Thanks, everyone!

Old 05-03-2015, 09:21 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
I was absolutely thinking FL as well until you said the bit about mosquitos. That might eliminate the entire state.

Anyway, if you still considered FL you'd be looking at rural or country area very close to a major metro for social liberalism and diversity. Or one of the college towns like Gainesville or Tallahassee.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
That link is broken but I used Google to find the 2015 survey: The Most and Least Bible-Minded Cities in America | American Bible Society

Surprised that Phoenix is on the "least" list while Tucson is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.