Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 01:04 PM

29 posts, read 30,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
The troll factor on this one....

You would have saved yourself a lot of time if your reading comprehension skills weren't lacking. I said "even if". Ive never claimed myself as an Iberian , or criollos (pure Iberian born in the Americas) as they used to be known. I am like most Mexicans...a mix of many various ancestries. I am not some Argentinean dude looking to white wash myself. If i found out tomorrow a great grandmother was Yaqui or Mayo or Navajo (Natives all found in Mexicos Northwest, where im from), i would be CELEBRATING that part of myself, not denying it.

**On a side note, a couple weeks ago i found out one of maternal great great grandmothers is South Asian. Probably of Kashmiri origins, since my grandparents describe her to be fair skin, with red hair and green eyes....traits which can be found in Northern India, and other South Asian countries like Pakistan and Afghanistan. The reason I'm sharing this is to illustrate to the OP why labels like 'Hispanic' and 'Latino' are problematic to many, as they hide our rich histories and ancestries from around the world.

Rudy i try again, most of mexican dont have spanish blood , mostly are indigenous, a few mixed like you, with a lot of ancestries not only for spain , and a few pure iberians, maybe you are not, but a lot of mexicans claims that are mestizos or have spanish blood because in your country is bad to be indigenous.
And i find a lot of message in this fórum saying that mexicans have spanish blood, where did this rumour is comming from?, do you understand me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 03:59 PM

218 posts, read 342,585 times
Ima do the largest Hispanic groups in the US

Mexican: 65% of Hispanics in US, widespread but more so in the Southwestern states. Most Mexicans who live closer to mexico comelike in states like Texas Arizona and california come from Northern Mexico and are mestizo (white/native mixed) , while most mexicans living in states far away from mexico like florida illinois n newyork come from southern mexico and are full native. Mexican American culture is lowriders n chicanos. They tend to speak a slower form of Spanish basically the hillbillies of the Spanish speaking world, and they like mariachi music n g-funk. They culture is native Aztec influenced. Mexicans have the Mexican mafia. Mexicans are often precieved as border hoppers n migrant farmers. Mexican food is usually spicy, tacos tortillas, borritos.

Central American groups like Salvadorans & Guatemalans are very similar to mexicans. However, guatemalan americans tend to be more native compared to the average mixed mestizo salvadorian. They heavily concentrate in California Texas and the DC area. MS13 is a known Salvadorian gang.

Puerto Ricans & Dominicans are very similar to each other. Both there cultures is a mix of Taino, Canarian, and West African. Both are heavily mixed, Mullatos & Triracials (white, black, and some indian), tho Dominicans tend to be noticeably darker. PRs are the second largest Hispanic group in the US, at about 10% . In states like Newyork, NJ, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island, the PR & DR populations are near even with PRs usually edging out DRs. But in states like Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware, and Florida, there is a far larger number of Ricans then Dominicans, wit DRs usually sprinkled in. PRs are also sprinkled in moderate numbers in states like Ohio, Virginia, Georgia, Maryland, Illinois, and North carolina. Both tend to speak a fast form of Spanish. Puerto Ricans listen to salsa reggaeton, hip hop n freestyle. Dominicans like merengue bachata n dembow. Puerto Ricans are heavily into "Bike life" phenomenon, especially in cities like philly n NY, dirt bikes n quads are to PRs wat lowriders are to Mexicans in California. Gangs include Latin Kings n Netas for PRs, and Trinitatorios/Patria for DRs. Puerto Ricans are one of the poorest groups in the US. PRs are often perceived as welfare queens n ghetto thugs. However they are the most "Americanized culturally of all Hispanics in the US. PR food is usually Rice wit beans n chicken, empanadas, mofongo, tostones.

Cubans are somewhat similar to Puerto Ricans & Dominicans, more so wit PRs. However their often much more conservative, wealthier, and whiter. They are almost entirely concentrated in South Florida.

It all depends on the country's history n geography. However, you do have countries like Panama , which is only 15-20% black, but nearly 90% of Panamanian Americans in the US especially newyork are black.

Last edited by phillydominican; 05-11-2015 at 04:25 PM..

Old 05-11-2015, 04:22 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
Ok, I am Latino myself and I'll tell you my point of view on your question. But first let me tell you that there is a huge difference between Latino immigrants vs son of immigrants. It's been said that culture start to fade away after 3rd generation. So I am NOT going to talk about son of immigrants because they seem trying to hard acting as "latino wannabes" when they are pretty American. And I understand that Latino culture has strong roots and it is not easy to get rid of the culture; however, don't get fooled.. they still are pretty American in every single aspect.

I remember meeting a son of a Colombian friend who was trying to act as "paisa" and he thought because he was in Colombia for vacations connecting with his roots he thought is Colombian when he's not. Same goes with sons of Cubans born in the U.S. here in Miami my actual city. Most sons of Cubans kind of won't recognize themselves as Americans but Cuban, and it is because they are pretty anti-american and this flaunting position it's been transmitted by generations. Even though it's confusing seeing them exhibiting this razzmatazz American acting switch once they are in front of other English speaker.

In general Latinos share several common treats as we are affectionate (with variations), known for being romantic, sons still live with family at late ages, seasoned food, women are hot and we like to play jokes (indigenous malice) since we don't take so serious like Americans.

Having considered similarities, it is also reasonable to look at differences that are obvious in every culture as mentioned above. Here is what Latinos think about other Latinos:

1) Dominican: they are lazy as@#, most are poor and live piled up in a single room (same goes for Mexicans). Even though when you think of a Dominican it's a synonymous of bachata (tropical music), sea, and women.
2) Puerto Rican: Most wanted for a green card. Good music, nice girls, good vibe. On the dark side they are known for being arrogant and they brag about being real "Americans" even though the island is pretty poor, Latino background, and nobody speaks English.
3) Mexican: Most of them are perceived as hardworking people and some are humble. BUT No Latino wants to be associated with Mexicans, but this sadly happens oftenly when a "gringo" mistakenly hear someone speaking in Spanish and ask: are you Mexican? (@#$%). Mexicans are probably the most hated of all. They are been known for being greasy, declassé, and it's synonymous of illegal.
4) Columbian: Actually it's ColOmbian, with middle "o" (typical err). Impressively we are well respected here in the U.S. in despite our daunting struggling against drugs and guerrilla. (no more drugs btw. They moved to Mexico). Most people are decent, well spoken and nice people. In the dark side, Colombians are sadly pretty individualistic and not help their same ones. When they make money they forget where they came from. (my experience)
5) Salvadorian: I have mixed information about them. Some people say they are pretty nasty and women are gold diggers and poor education. In the good side they are humble and hardworking people. Most Latinos are way contemptuous against them calling them "indios" (indigenous) since their race is not so white.
6) Costa Rican: they are pretty similar to Colombians, in race and phonetics. It's hard to differentiate a Colombian with a Costa Rican. They are known for having certain status, being a nice country to raise kids and a retirement country for elderly people. In the dark side, they are the "whites" of Central America and act like that against other countries that don't want to be associated with.
7) Peruvian: In Latino America they are considered the "worst". Being called a Peruvian is almost an insult, and this degrading karma was due to "Laura en America" a talk show celebrity that marked this country forever. ("El carrito sanguichero; que pase el desgraciado). In the good aspect and after being known Peruvians in deep they are very smart people, hard working, incredibly nice cosine, and full of a mystic culture background. (Mayan culture).
8) Nicaraguan: Almost same as Salvadorian.
9) Guatemalan: Almost same as Salvadorian.
10) Cuban: the MOST hated among all. Arrogant, racists, fraudsters, criminals, liars, incredibly biased culture, sectarians, nasty, bad mouthed, uneducated, diclassé, promiscuous, clique culture, evil, witchcraft practice (santeria), ruckus ppl and a large etc of the most despicable people I have ever known in my life. Shocking culture that made of Miami a cockpit, and extension of Cuba. If there is a Cuban hiring people in a company you bet your resume will be end up in the basket. Period. NOthing good for these people.
11) Honduran: They are trying to act "white" as Costa Ricans, and think they are "finer" than their neighbors. Some of them are nice others so-so. They are a mix between Costa Ricans and Salvadorians.
12) Panamanian: In general they are nice people. Pretty calm, good food, nice treaty with them.
13) Venezuelan: they used to be the "rich" of Latin America. They used to be arrogant, and phony and full of themselves. The middle and upper classes still keep this attitude in despite their country issues.
14) Bolivian: Have little info about them but I know for sure they are neither one thing or the other.
15) Chilean: the eternal enemies of Argentinians. They are a mix between a Bolivian and an Argentinian. Kind of humble kind of arrogant.
16) Ecuadorian: humble and hard working people. Pretty naive.
17) Paraguayan: same as Bolivians. they are neither one thing or the other
18) Uruguayan: Pretty pacific. Nice people. Act as whites. Nothing to say about them really.

Countries you forgot:
19) Spain: arrogant, racists. They are the real Hispanos.
20) Brazil: zamba, music, hot women, hot weather, Amazon. As people are really nice people. Very nice people I can tell you.
21) Argentinians: arrogant, racists, narcissistic. The good part of them are the cosine specially the meat. Basically they are a very cocky Italian descendants attitude. The funny part is Italians discriminate them.

So again, don't take my description too seriously. Obviously these are only generalizations. Human beings are a universe and we have the ability to absorb other culture having a mix of different cultures. thks.
I hate using the word "stereotype" on C-D because it's thrown around way too casually on here and often out of context. But this post fits the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.