U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 06:01 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,619,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But why?

If it's because I don't care about the beach, that shouldn't be a deterrent. I mean, I'm sure there are other outdoor activities to do, right? I love nature.

If it's about South Florida being a stressful workaholic place, then you are right...I will not bother.

I have only been to South Florida two times. Once, during January and the weather was nice. Another time, I went during early May and thought the humidity was BRUTAL! I was like holy #$#$!@# I can't handle this. But I was wearing a business suit, because I had an interview. When I was wearing shorts, it was okay. Now I can understand why NorthStarDelight wants to move north!

I mean, even here in Connecticut, the summer heat and humidity can get pretty horrific.

Yeah, it's competitive, since so many people from the NE come down with their workaholic attitudes, and some negative attitudes as well (running away from problems, etc).

Houses were cheap when I bought mine in 1994, but it's certainly not true now, unless you wanna live in a crime-infested area.

Not only is the heat + humidity fierce down there, it goes on and on and on and on. October was always the hardest month for me, since I was so sick of the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 06:17 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,149,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Yeah, it's competitive, since so many people from the NE come down with their workaholic attitudes, and some negative attitudes as well (running away from problems, etc).

Houses were cheap when I bought mine in 1994, but it's certainly not true now, unless you wanna live in a crime-infested area.

Not only is the heat + humidity fierce down there, it goes on and on and on and on. October was always the hardest month for me, since I was so sick of the heat.

I guess I'll just keep applying to jobs in New Haven and CLE then.

Unless CLE is a workaholic place, too.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:30 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,539,733 times
Quote:
But why?

If it's because I don't care about the beach, that shouldn't be a deterrent. I mean, I'm sure there are other outdoor activities to do, right? I love nature.

If it's about South Florida being a stressful workaholic place, then you are right...I will not bother.

I have only been to South Florida two times. Once, during January and the weather was nice. Another time, I went during early May and thought the humidity was BRUTAL! I was like holy #$#$!@# I can't handle this. But I was wearing a business suit, because I had an interview. When I was wearing shorts, it was okay. Now I can understand why NorthStarDelight wants to move north!

I mean, even here in Connecticut, the summer heat and humidity can get pretty horrific.
I was referring more to how the gay scene is down there and what your previous comments were on what kind of scene you like.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,164 times
I'd say Minneapolis would be the best choice because there's a lot of nature green space but also lots of possibilities. There are also 12.5% of people identifying as either gay, lesbian or bisexual, which is the fourth highest of a city in the entire U.S.. It's also quite a cheap city for what it offers. I can't think of another really liberal city which is as cheap.
Seattle would also be a good choice but there's another lovely city in the area of it.
I'm talking about Portland, Oregon. You didn't mention it on your list but it's actually cheaper, nicer and as liberal as Seattle. It's a beautiful city.
But be careful! Metropolitan Areas are more liberal than small towns for sure, but there are also more people living and crime is higher, not every city is as safe as New York. I personally think you shouldn't move to Philadelphia or Columbus. These two cities are often described as gay hotspots out of their states but don't forget how conservative Ohio and Pennsylvania are so even the most liberal cities are probably a disappointment. On the other hand I recommend Austin, Chicago and Denver. Miami is everything but not cheap and if I were you, I would move to LA instead of Miami. Though I think both cities are extremely expensive I'd say concentrate on Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland, Austin, Chicago and Denver. Doesn't really matter where you're going I think you're going to be happy in each (:

Old 05-05-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lylo View Post
I'd say Minneapolis would be the best choice because there's a lot of nature green space but also lots of possibilities. There are also 12.5% of people identifying as either gay, lesbian or bisexual, which is the fourth highest of a city in the entire U.S.. It's also quite a cheap city for what it offers. I can't think of another really liberal city which is as cheap.
Seattle would also be a good choice but there's another lovely city in the area of it.
I'm talking about Portland, Oregon. You didn't mention it on your list but it's actually cheaper, nicer and as liberal as Seattle. It's a beautiful city.
But be careful! Metropolitan Areas are more liberal than small towns for sure, but there are also more people living and crime is higher, not every city is as safe as New York. I personally think you shouldn't move to Philadelphia or Columbus. These two cities are often described as gay hotspots out of their states but don't forget how conservative Ohio and Pennsylvania are so even the most liberal cities are probably a disappointment. On the other hand I recommend Austin, Chicago and Denver. Miami is everything but not cheap and if I were you, I would move to LA instead of Miami. Though I think both cities are extremely expensive I'd say concentrate on Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland, Austin, Chicago and Denver. Doesn't really matter where you're going I think you're going to be happy in each (:
Seattle and Portland are over my budget. Minneapolis is too cold for me.

As for South Florida, I don't understand why people say that it's very expensive. The statistics say otherwise. I mean, the median home value in all three counties (Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach) hovers around $180K-$200K. Where I'm coming from, that's CHEAP! So, why do people keep saying it's a high cost of living there? Maybe most of the homes are located in undesirable areas and it drags down the statistic? I don't know...

Old 05-05-2015, 12:00 PM
PDF

Quote:
Seattle and Portland are over my budget. Minneapolis is too cold for me.

As for South Florida, I don't understand why people say that it's very expensive. The statistics say otherwise. I mean, the median home value in all three counties (Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach) hovers around $180K-$200K. Where I'm coming from, that's CHEAP! So, why do people keep saying it's a high cost of living there? Maybe most of the homes are located in undesirable areas and it drags down the statistic? I don't know...
See nep, your first statement is totally fine. That's normal for cities to be too expensive for someone or the weather to be not up to their liking. But I keep saying that you need to compromise on at least one thing. I honestly don't think you will find the place that has everything you desire.

As for South FL being expensive, it's expensive to me! Wages are not that high in Florida. I'm a Florida native and when I started looking into moving to South FL, the prices gave me a sticker shock. So it's all relative.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:33 PM

13,227 posts, read 17,984,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lylo View Post
I personally think you shouldn't move to Philadelphia or Columbus. These two cities are often described as gay hotspots out of their states but don't forget how conservative Ohio and Pennsylvania are...
Never mind that Pennsylvania compares more closely to states like Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan in terms of various social issues than it does to any of the states it erroneously (and willfully at this point) gets compared to, politically.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
See nep, your first statement is totally fine. That's normal for cities to be too expensive for someone or the weather to be not up to their liking. But I keep saying that you need to compromise on at least one thing. I honestly don't think you will find the place that has everything you desire.

As for South FL being expensive, it's expensive to me! Wages are not that high in Florida. I'm a Florida native and when I started looking into moving to South FL, the prices gave me a sticker shock. So it's all relative.
That's not true. I like CT 100% except for it not having a large enough gay population. That's the only thing.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:01 PM
PDF

Quote:
That's not true. I like CT 100% except for it not having a large enough gay population. That's the only thing.
Then do you think the issue is that you want your new city to have all of the things you like about CT + having a good gay scene? Seems like that's the problem.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Then do you think the issue is that you want your new city to have all of the things you like about CT + having a good gay scene? Seems like that's the problem.
Yes! That would be the perfect place IMO. I like four seasons, charming towns, hills and valleys, liberal politics, car-based transit, etc. To me, the perfect place would be exactly like CT, as long as a nice home could be purchased for under $250K and have a sufficient gay population. You would think in a nation with 381 metropolitan areas, there would be such a place, but there isn't. But in my opinion, everything about CT is nearly perfect, except the size of the gay community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.