U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 02:49 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,542,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yes! That would be the perfect place IMO. I like four seasons, hills, liberal politics, car-based transit, etc. To me, the perfect place would be exactly like CT, as long as a nice home could be purchased for under $250K and have a sufficient gay population. You would think in a nation with 381 metropolitan areas, there would be such a place, but there isn't.
It's obvious that place doesn't exist. Which is what I was trying to get at. By the way, what was wrong with Charlotte again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 02:53 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,942,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
It's obvious that place doesn't exist. Which is what I was trying to get at. By the way, what was wrong with Charlotte again?
Liberal politics.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:54 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,152,325 times
Quote:
I thought Charlotte was too Bible Belt conservative. I could not get used to the southern accents either. The whole area lacked charm and everything was bland and plastic looking. It wasn't a bad place by any means, but I just didn't think it was worth relocating to in the end.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:58 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,942,522 times
Quote:
I thought Charlotte was too Bible Belt conservative. I could not get used to the southern accents either. The whole area lacked charm and everything was bland and plastic looking. It wasn't a bad place by any means, but I just didn't think it was worth relocating to in the end.
I wouldn't call it "bible-belt conservative", but Charlotte is more conservative than most other large southern cities. I'm surprised by the accent comment, as most people seem to think southern accents are attractive (I'm not talking country/uneducated, but southern - big difference).

There are charming areas of Charlotte, but they demolished a lot of that city in the name of urban renewal. Asheville would meet your criteria, but it's probably too small. It has a lively gay scene and oozes charm. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill might be worth a look too.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 05-05-2015 at 03:44 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 03:11 PM

12,205 posts, read 10,441,159 times
You've already gotten this answer, but I think Columbus would be your best bet. Population & economic growth, large gay scene, affordable, minus the more conservative politics you get in the Sun Belt.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You've already gotten this answer, but I think Columbus would be your best bet. Population & economic growth, large gay scene, affordable, minus the more conservative politics you get in the Sun Belt.
I wish I had the opportunity to visit Columbus. But people made it sound like it's a huge college town surrounded by endless cornfields and bland housing.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:19 PM

12,205 posts, read 10,441,159 times
Quote:
I wish I had the opportunity to visit Columbus. But people made it sound like it's a huge college town surrounded by endless cornfields and bland housing.
That's how it was 10-20 years ago, with most of the activity near the campus area. Now, with all the growth and emigration from outside the state and country, there's a wide variety of people and activities. You can ignore the OSU sports thing here now, whereas it wasn't the case when I was growing up.
I did spend 16 years in the SF Bay Area for comparison, FWIW.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:20 PM
PDF

Quote:
Perhaps you should check it out for yourself.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you should check it out for yourself.
I wish, but I am so done with visiting places lol. Just tired of it and dragging it on for years. The last place I visited was Cleveland a few months ago and I liked it. Everyone I met in Cleveland said that Columbus is lame.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:37 PM
PDF

Quote:
I wish, but I am so done with visiting places lol. Just tired of it and dragging it on for years. The last place I visited was Cleveland a few months ago and I liked it. Everyone I met in Cleveland said that Columbus is lame.
Alright, I understand that. But how do you expect to find somewhere to move to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.