U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 03:45 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,930,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I wish I had the opportunity to visit Columbus. But people made it sound like it's a huge college town surrounded by endless cornfields and bland housing.
You can't go by what "people" say. Did anyone in real life describe Columbus that way or did you read it on something like city-data? Because that is not a valid description of Columbus at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 04:02 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,129,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You can't go by what "people" say. Did anyone in real life describe Columbus that way or did you read it on something like city-data? Because that is not a valid description of Columbus at all.
That's based on what my friend in Cleveland told me. He is a real person I hung out with in real life, and a Cleveland native. He described Columbus as a "*****" of a city. He said most of the taxpayer dollars in Ohio go to Columbus and it's not fair. He also said that Columbus was literally built on previous farm land. And that outside of the short north, it's a bland, boring metro.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
That's based on what my friend in Cleveland told me. He is a real person I hung out with in real life, and a Cleveland native. He described Columbus as a "*****" of a city. He said most of the taxpayer dollars in Ohio go to Columbus and it's not fair. He also said that Columbus was literally built on previous farm land. And that outside of the short north, it's a bland, boring metro.
If the taxpayer dollars go to Columbus then it stands to reason that it's a pretty nice city.

It sounds like some in-state jealousy to me...I wouldn't pay much attention to it. It's akin to Nashville vs. Memphis or Houston vs. Dallas, and most of it is nonsense. Columbus is a pretty great city and I would definitely place it above Cleveland - no slight to Cleveland, I just like Columbus better.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
If the taxpayer dollars go to Columbus then it stands to reason that it's a pretty nice city.

It sounds like some in-state jealousy to me...I wouldn't pay much attention to it. It's akin to Nashville vs. Memphis or Houston vs. Dallas, and most of it is nonsense. Columbus is a pretty great city and I would definitely place it above Cleveland - no slight to Cleveland, I just like Columbus better.
Maybe what I could do is apply to jobs in Columbus and if I get an interview, I could use that to my advantage and visit the place, instead of making a dedicated trip.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe what I could do is apply to jobs in Columbus and if I get an interview, I could use that to my advantage and visit the place, instead of making a dedicated trip.
That sounds like an excellent idea. There are probably people in the Columbus forum on here that could honestly tell you a lot about the city.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:25 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,523,590 times
Quote:
That's hardly anything to go on.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That's hardly anything to go on.
Yeah, true. I'm also shocked at how many Clevelanders have never even been to Columbus. One of my Cleveland friends said that Columbus people have a slight southern/Midwestern accent. Also, all of my Cleveland friends consider Cincinnati to be a hillbilly/backwards town. But I've never been to Cbus or Cincy.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:38 PM

13,223 posts, read 17,966,293 times
Quote:
Yeah, true. I'm also shocked at how many Clevelanders have never even been to Columbus. One of my Cleveland friends said that Columbus people have a slight southern/Midwestern accent. Also, all of my Cleveland friends consider Cincinnati to be a hillbilly/backwards town. But I've never been to Cbus or Cincy.
Looks like you've detected the undercurrent in Cleveland that few outside of Cincinnati, Columbus and Pittsburgh have had to deal with. From my direct experience, many Clevelanders love nothing more than ****ting all over those three cities, and fancying themselves as more sophisticated, economically viable and culturally relevant than them as well. They really don't seem to play nice with any major metropolitan area that's intrastate or otherwise nearby.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Looks like you've detected the undercurrent in Cleveland that few outside of Cincinnati, Columbus and Pittsburgh have had to deal with. From my direct experience, many Clevelanders love nothing more than ****ting all over those three cities, and fancying themselves as more sophisticated, economically viable and culturally relevant than them as well. They really don't seem to play nice with any major metropolitan area that's intrastate or otherwise nearby.
But what if they are right? Based on my visit to CLE, I was both impressed and unimpressed at the same time. I was impressed because of all the character, variety of cities in the area and the hills, architecture, etc. I was unimpressed because the roads were HORRIBLE and half of the metro area was just plain gritty looking. IMO, the CLE metro has a long way to go before it reaches "truly desirable" status.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:00 AM

161 posts, read 181,637 times
If I were you, I'd either move closer to NYC within Connecticut or move to Columbus. Those are your best two options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.