U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 07:50 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I think I am going to take a leap of faith and apply to jobs in Columbus. There are plenty of good jobs there for me. It will be very difficult as a nonlocal candidate, but I will at least try. I can also work with a recruiter. I mean, if I'm going to move away from my family, I would feel more comfortable living somewhere with a more thriving gay community in order to help fill the void of not having family around, and it seems like Columbus is better than Cleveland in that regard.
Do it! If everything streetcreed said is true, then it sounds like you're missing out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 09:22 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Do it! If everything streetcreed said is true, then it sounds like you're missing out.
I just applied to 10 jobs in Columbus, all of which I was about fully qualified for an interested in. There are lots of jobs there. My recruiter in Hartford also said that she can forward my resume to a recruiter in Columbus, if I wish to do so. But I don't expect anything to work out, because I'm not a local candidate.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:21 AM

7,906 posts, read 4,864,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
People in Cleveland/Cincinnati are always complaining about Columbus because it's quickly becoming the dominant city in the state whereas they were for a long time. It's just another notch on the inferiority complex some have, especially long-term natives.
Many posters in this thread have no knowledge of Cleveland and Cincinnati or apparently even Columbus. Cleveland is one of the nation's cultural centers recognized as having a vibrant city experience, evidenced by its selection to host the Republican National Convention.

Cleveland and Detroit are the only cities between Chicago and NYC with all three major pro sports, all in downtown venues.

Cincinnati's cultural amenities and pro sports venues are far superior to those of Columbus.

See post 33 and on in this thread.

Why are people in Columbus so rude and cold?

Clevelanders have legitimate grievances against the down-state Republicans who have grossly gerrymandered Ohio. E.g., Cleveland Congressional districts are linked by thin threads of population to districts in Toledo and Akron, greatly perverting democracy in Ohio.

The Republicans in Ohio and Indiana have privatized/leveraged I-80/I-90 to finance massive transportation spending elsewhere in the two states. Trucks traveling between Akron and Chicago already pay tolls of over $75/truck, and the tolls will increase by the rate of inflation for decades to come. I-70 and I-65 to Chicago remain free. Marginalizing the water and transportation advantages afforded by Lake Erie not only is devastating for northern Ohio, but very bad for Ohio in general in the long run.

The Kasich administration refused to maintain lakefront parks in Cuyahoga County, which has over 10 percent of the state's population. So the Cleveland Metroparks assumed responsibility for these parks, which include a gem such as Edgewater Park when properly managed.

How ridiculous is it that a county with over 10 percent of the state's population doesn't warrant any of the state's park budget?

At times the I-90 Innerbelt bridge through Ohio, one of the state's heaviest traveled arteries is reduced to one lane in every direction. While a ridiculous bridge costing hundreds of millions was built in Columbus to support the Short North district, Cleveland's Innerbelt bridges were left to rot. Kasich has dribbled out funds to build the second Innerbelt bridge, insisting it could only be done by leveraging the Ohio Turnpike, which for decades due to intricacies of federal matching funds has funded state highway projects elsewhere in the state. Currently, a massive reconstruction project on Columbus interstates was given funding priority over Cleveland's crucial Innerbelt bridges even though the Columbus projects were merely remedial and carried less traffic than the I-90 Innerbelt bridges, of which there currently only is one.

Part of the problem in Ohio is that the state's corporate-controlled media, especially in Cleveland and Columbus, ignores the ridiculous policies of the Kasich administration while pummeling Democrats. If you don't believe this, read the columns of the Cleveland Plain Dealer's Kevin O'Brien, the paper's only editorial columnist and its deputy editorial page editor. You'll gag over statements such as that climate scientists are totalitarian, as O'Brien wrote in a very recent column insisting that man-caused global warming is a sham.

http://www.cleveland.com/obrien/index.ssf/2015/05/with_encyclical_on_climate_cha.html#incart_river

Unfortunately, almost all of Greater Cleveland's newspapers are controlled by the same media group, so the region is left defenseless to the ongoing pillaging of not only northern Ohio, but also of Ohio. These newspapers led the recent mugging of Democratic Governor candidate Ed Fitzgerald, who had some vulnerabilities but these paled against the policy decisions of the Kasich administration that have been given an effective pass. Read about the fracking waste disposal controversy in Athens County, south of Columbus, where the Kasich administration is foisting deep injection wells for radioactive fracking waste on the county with no public hearings! I doubt that most Ohioans understand that Ohio is the dump for radioactive fracking water not only from Ohio, but also from PA, which doesn't want the associated long-term hazard.

I do worry about Ohio's and especially northern Ohio's future, although Cleveland certainly benefits from its legacy as one of the richest places in the world in the first half of the 20th century. E.g., the Cleveland Museum of Art is one of the best in the U.S. and remains among the best endowed while offering free general admission.

BTW, the Rockefeller family was partly driven from Ohio when the state legislature passed an intangibles tax, repealed by the Republicans over a decade ago. That not only was detrimental to Cleveland, which once was the center of the Rockefeller operations, but all of Ohio in the long run. The intangibles tax was specifically designed to tax Cleveland's great industrialists for the benefit of the entire state.

Knowledgeable Clevelanders have great reason to despise the unfair treatment at the hands of southern Ohio politicians, who glorify over the "monetizing of a state asset" when referring to the leveraging of the Ohio Turnpike which gradually will strangle and pauperize the northern Ohio economy. Isn't I-70 a state asset? Why don't the Republicans push for federal legislation to allow for the "monetizing" of all interstates in Ohio and elsewhere if that is such a good strategy?

Columbus has greatly benefited from the centralization of Ohio state government in Columbus. It's shocking how few state services are available locally elsewhere in the state as compared to those afforded residents in the Columbus area. It would be interesting what percentage of state employment is in greater Columbus compared to the rest of the state.

Remember how Senator Byrd wrenched federal employment from Washington, DC, to WV, such as the FBI Crime Center. A great risk to Columbus is that some day the rest of the state, including the likes of Cincinnati, Dayton, Cleveland, Akron and Toledo will similarly gang up on Columbus to relocate state agencies, such as the state crime lab.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-11-2015 at 09:22 AM..

Old 05-11-2015, 04:39 PM

Sweet! I landed a phone interview with Citi in Columbus for a financial services opportunity! And I put my CT address on my resume, because I don't like to lie. So it worked!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:28 AM

My phone interview went well (in Columbus) and the position sounds interesting. The interviewer ended the conversation by saying that my skills are above what the job posting is asking for, and that he wants to speak with his manager regarding the possibility of upgrading the position to a senior level position, with higher pay. He will get back to me in about a week, and he said that relocation would be seamless and easy! He also said that it's a traditional 40, maybe 45 hour per week job, which is good!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:40 AM

7,383 posts, read 13,221,969 times
Quote:
My phone interview went well (in Columbus) and the position sounds interesting. The interviewer ended the conversation by saying that my skills are above what the job posting is asking for, and that he wants to speak with his manager regarding the possibility of upgrading the position to a senior level position, with higher pay. He will get back to me in about a week, and he said that relocation would be seamless and easy! He also said that it's a traditional 40, maybe 45 hour per week job, which is good!
Great! Hope all goes well for you.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:08 AM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Quote:
That does sound great I have been to Columbus before and it has many things that you are looking for, including a varied housing stock with a good amount of quality affordable housing in nice areas. In terms of culture amenities it does have quite a bit to choose from, but without the issues of contending with really big city traffic. I do prefer cities that have the university and capitol together. They tend to have better performing economies over time.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:12 PM

Nothing will probably come of it though because nothing good ever happens to me

Old 05-12-2015, 01:27 PM

1,558 posts, read 743,963 times
Default Columbus

Regarding Columbus, it would make sense to be open minded about the relatively flatter terrain and more conservative state level politics relative to CT. Given the significant strengths of the area (much lower cost of living, less traffic, better social environment, good job prospects in your field at interesting companies, etc.), are you willing to accept the tradeoffs? There is no perfect location - but it sounds like you could be significantly happier in Columbus - and it would be unfortunate if "analysis paralysis" keeps you from pursuing a fulfilling opportunity there.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Regarding Columbus, it would make sense to be open minded about the relatively flatter terrain and more conservative state level politics relative to CT. Given the significant strengths of the area (much lower cost of living, less traffic, better social environment, good job prospects in your field at interesting companies, etc.), are you willing to accept the tradeoffs? There is no perfect location - but it sounds like you could be significantly happier in Columbus - and it would be unfortunate if "analysis paralysis" keeps you from pursuing a fulfilling opportunity there.
Yeah I am willing to overlook it. I realize that there's no perfect place. I do have the ability to bloom wherever I'm planted, as long as the cost of living is reasonable, there is a thriving gay population, and politics lean to the left.

Besides, the Columbus metro area does lean Democratic, albeit slightly, and it's about the same as where I live now. In 2012, for Fairfield County, CT, 55% of the population voted for Obama. In the Columbus metro area in 2012, 52% voted for Obama. So, the difference is minimal.

I don't know....do you think I would be okay living in Columbus as a liberal? Even here in CT, in my office, I have witnessed occasional blatant conservative attitudes and was shocked. I've heard one manager say out loud, "stupid U.S. government making our jobs harder with all this transparency crap.......well, that's what you get for voting Democrat." I also heard another big wig guy in my office say out loud, "no wonder the country is broke, because of crap like this." So, even here in CT, I have seen quite a few instances of outright conservative anger in the workplace. I've heard other coworkers hating on Hillary Clinton, too. The list goes on.....

So yeah....angry, blatant conservatism happens here in CT also....in the workplace. It's ridiculous. But despite what people say, the populace of CT overall is not THAT liberal at all. It seems like there are almost as many conservatives as liberals here. I think CT voted only 55% for Obama in 2012.

Last edited by nep321; 05-12-2015 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.