U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 02:20 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,129,269 times

Advertisements

I just got another phone interview with a major corporate headquarters in Columbus! The job would be a career promotion as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 02:35 PM

Do you guys really think Columbus would be a good place for me though? For real? Remember, I am taking a leap of faith by applying to all these jobs over there, and sort of taking the advice of people on this forum, since I've never been there. But on paper it sounds good. I know it's largely flat, but it's not that far from Appalachian mountains, right? Plus, I currently live surrounded by all sorts of hills and mountains, but it doesn't necessarily make me any happier. I'm more concerned about quality of life, social life, career, health, etc. Plus, scenic beauty exists everywhere, including flat land. For example, with flat land you get a big sky, far horizon and easy driving.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:55 PM

1,565 posts, read 748,003 times
I don't live in Columbus, but am sure with the area's voting patterns and young demographics, that you would be just fine as a liberal in the area as a whole. Just because certain people in the office are outspoken about their views doesn't mean their opinions count any more than the larger number of folks who quietly focus on their work.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:08 PM

1,565 posts, read 748,003 times
Yes, Hocking Hills State Park is a nice place for hiking about an hour southeast of Columbus in the Appalachian foothills. Columbus isn't absolutely flat either - I think either the Scioto or Olentangy River runs pretty far below the surrounding areas. Granville to the east in Licking County is often compared to New England.

I'm sure that many people from the Northeast, who are open minded and willing to accept a moderately different environment, could be happy and fulfilled in central Ohio. It isn't a 180 degree difference by any means.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:51 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,523,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Do you guys really think Columbus would be a good place for me though? For real? Remember, I am taking a leap of faith by applying to all these jobs over there, and sort of taking the advice of people on this forum, since I've never been there. But on paper it sounds good. I know it's largely flat, but it's not that far from Appalachian mountains, right? Plus, I currently live surrounded by all sorts of hills and mountains, but it doesn't necessarily make me any happier. I'm more concerned about quality of life, social life, career, health, etc. Plus, scenic beauty exists everywhere, including flat land. For example, with flat land you get a big sky, far horizon and easy driving.
So long as you don't place unrealistic expectations on the place.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:09 PM

Is it possible to get a nice home for under $250k and have a commute no more than about 25 minutes?

Old 05-12-2015, 06:45 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,613,456 times
Quote:
Is it possible to get a nice home for under $250k and have a commute no more than about 25 minutes?
Looks like you can:

220 West Henderson Road, Columbus, OH For Sale | Trulia.com

Let's see what kind of offers you end up getting - imagine if you got a higher-level job there then what you have now, and being able to pick up a $200k house in a good neighborhood - I'd have to say that'd be a pretty sweet deal.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Looks like you can:

220 West Henderson Road, Columbus, OH For Sale | Trulia.com

Let's see what kind of offers you end up getting - imagine if you got a higher-level job there then what you have now, and being able to pick up a $200k house in a good neighborhood - I'd have to say that'd be a pretty sweet deal.
Yeah, or even a brand new home for $150K.
Single Family Homes For Sale - 3 Homes | Zillow

Not that I would want to live in a boring family neighborhood, but still, it goes to show that it can be done.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:01 AM

Omg yes! I got a 3rd company invitation to phone interview me in Columbus! Exciting! Versus zero companies in CT wanting to interview me, even though I'm applying to jobs in both CT and Cbus.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:39 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,523,590 times
Quote:
Omg yes! I got a 3rd company invitation to phone interview me in Columbus! Exciting! Versus zero companies in CT wanting to interview me, even though I'm applying to jobs in both CT and Cbus.
Sounds like it was made to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.