U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 05:19 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,599,015 times

Advertisements

Fort Lauderdale is calling your name. It's calling your name, it's calling your name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 05:30 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,129,269 times
Honestly, I think a lot of it will just depend on my ability to find a good job opportunity.

As for DesertSW's comment about there being a huge gay population within 100 miles of New Haven.....LOL. Okay look...while that is technically true, in actual reality, it just isn't practical. The vast majority of the guys in that radius comes from NYC. And guess what about NYC guys. 80% of them don't even have a car, nor do they even look or care to look for guys in Connecticut. Why would they care? In fact, me and my gay brother have joked before saying that if a gay guy in NYC has to look for guys in CT, then he's desperate.

Also, ironically, many New Haven guys don't even have a damn car...it's ridiculous! New Haven is such a bubble city and they all act like a half hour drive is a HUGE deal....if they even have a car, that is. They won't even bother to look or talk to guys in Fairfield County or Hartford County, most of the time (no joke). All they care about is their immediate vicinity of New Haven, which is a very provincial college town where everyone practically knows everyone....albeit the largest gay community within CT.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:42 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,613,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Honestly, I think a lot of it will just depend on my ability to find a good job opportunity.
Yes, I do think this should be your most important consideration. If you get offered a great job with a great company, I'd seize upon that regardless of where it is. I do think Atlanta offers a higher standard of living in relation to salary levels than most cities in the US, hence all the crazy traffic...lol.

I'd be more focused on asking questions about a particular place once you've landed a suitable job offer. I say apply to jobs in the cities on your list, and see what comes of it. Otherwise, it's a moot point, imo.

A question - if you get a great offer in New Haven or Hartford, will you accept that, knowing that'll probably keep you in CT for a few more years?

Old 04-30-2015, 06:28 PM

9,434 posts, read 18,343,140 times
Quote:

As for DesertSW's comment about there being a huge gay population within 100 miles of New Haven.....LOL. Okay look...while that is technically true, in actual reality, it just isn't practical. The vast majority of the guys in that radius comes from NYC. And guess what about NYC guys. 80% of them don't even have a car, nor do they even look or care to look for guys in Connecticut. Why would they care? In fact, me and my gay brother have joked before saying that if a gay guy in NYC has to look for guys in CT, then he's desperate. .
That wasn't my comment, that was Dawn Davenport, though I did rep him for it. I agree though, I think it's your attitude, not geography. For every suggestion or solution, you negate most every one and respond with yet another problem. You focus so much time and attention on the negative, so why would you expect anything else but negative results? You've run the whole gamut for every part of the country with a subtle interest, followed by every negative reason imaginable. We've pretty much figured out that geography isn't the issue here.

Quote:
Also, ironically, many New Haven guys don't even have a damn car...it's ridiculous! New Haven is such a bubble city and they all act like a half hour drive is a HUGE deal....if they even have a car, that is. They won't even bother to look or talk to guys in Fairfield County or Hartford County, most of the time (no joke). All they care about is their immediate vicinity of New Haven, which is a very provincial college town where everyone practically knows everyone....albeit the largest gay community within CT.
See, you always place your focus on whatever negative issue that you can either find or fabricate somehow, which hinders your ability to actually find something, someone, or some place compatible. That's why you keep recycling these same relocation thread topics that you started eons ago.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 04-30-2015 at 06:41 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 07:54 PM

88 posts, read 89,209 times
You should give Richmond, VA a thought.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:57 PM

1,400 posts, read 2,286,228 times
Quote:
Some of the metro areas I had in mind are Philadelphia, Miami, Austin, Atlanta, Chicago, Columbus, Minneapolis, Denver and Seattle. Job prospects are strong in pretty much all of these cities except for Miami and Austin, which appear to be oversaturated.

I am staunchly opposed to Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Nashville, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Salt Lake City and Phoenix.

San Francisco or Boston would be the best places!

Old 04-30-2015, 08:04 PM

8,571 posts, read 5,386,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
But 30 can still be seen as young enough...there are lots of 30+ year-olds out partying and looking for each other in larger cities. It's not just 22 year olds.
But 30 is young, and who can tell a 30 year old from a 26, 27,28 and so on. At 30, you can still look like you are in your 20s and some in their 20s look like they are in their 30s. Thirty is still pretty young.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Does this mean you will want to move to a Conservative bible thumping utopia tommorow?
Then the day after that a flaming liberal paradise like San Francisco?
Then after that a Libertarian minded Utopia like Oklahoma city?

Seriously..... The cities you are Staunchly opposed to you haven't even been to correct? Don't judge a book by its cover.
Yes, I have been to most of those cities that I'm staunchly opposed to. I don't like the vibe and culture because I find it to be too conservative. Personal preference...no offense.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
San Francisco or Boston would be the best places!
Extremely expensive....so, no.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:35 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,523,590 times
Quote:
Extremely expensive....so, no.
nep, you're going to have to compromise on something. Have you reconsidered NYC? Or what about LA even?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.