U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 08:38 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,123,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Yes, I do think this should be your most important consideration. If you get offered a great job with a great company, I'd seize upon that regardless of where it is. I do think Atlanta offers a higher standard of living in relation to salary levels than most cities in the US, hence all the crazy traffic...lol.

I'd be more focused on asking questions about a particular place once you've landed a suitable job offer. I say apply to jobs in the cities on your list, and see what comes of it. Otherwise, it's a moot point, imo.

A question - if you get a great offer in New Haven or Hartford, will you accept that, knowing that'll probably keep you in CT for a few more years?
Light traffic would be nice, but realistically...it's just a fact of life these days. 42% of our nation's roads are congested. Plus, now that I've been in Fairfield County for two years, I'm kind of used to horrific traffic.

As for New Haven or Hartford...I'm not sure I'd accept a job. In fact, today, I got a phone call for an interview request for a job I applied to with a company near New Haven, but I'm debating if I should call back and accept the interview. I really think CT is one of the best places to live in the entire country, if not the best, BUT no matter how good it is, I'm still going to be empty inside, because of the complete lack of social and dating opportunities here. I've been suffering from this for the past 7 years, ever since I moved back here from NYC. In NYC I had a great social life and gay life in general. Not that a bf came out of it or anything, but still. I know that living in or near New Haven still won't be satisfactory enough in terms of gay life. No where in CT is satisfactory in that regard. But I love CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
nep, you're going to have to compromise on something. Have you reconsidered NYC? Or what about LA even?
I am staunchly opposed to NYC or LA. Those places are way too big and expensive for me. I'd much rather live in South FL or Atlanta or even Chicago.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:45 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,519,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am staunchly opposed to NYC or LA. Those places are way too big and expensive for me. I'd much rather live in South FL or Atlanta or even Chicago.
Okay, maybe too big/expensive but you just said in your prior post that you had a good life in NYC. Like I said, you won't ever find that perfect place...so you're going to have to give something up.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:04 PM

321 posts, read 361,207 times
Columbus

Old 04-30-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Okay, maybe too big/expensive but you just said in your prior post that you had a good life in NYC. Like I said, you won't ever find that perfect place...so you're going to have to give something up.
Yeah, but it doesn't have to be as huge as NYC.....lol.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
Columbus
I wish I had visited Cbus, but I think I'm going to cross it off my list. I think I want a more traditional, larger gay mecca, at least the size of say, St. Louis.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:27 PM
PDF

Quote:
Yeah, but it doesn't have to be as huge as NYC.....lol.
Well NYC obviously has what you want, and you've been unable to find it in a smaller city.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Well NYC obviously has what you want, and you've been unable to find it in a smaller city.
Well that's because the only other places I've lived other than NYC in my adult life were the Hartford area and Fairfield County....both areas in CT. Both of these areas are much, MUCH less populated than the NYC metro. I mean, the Hartford metro is only 6% of the size of the NYC metro. And Fairfield County at just 4% of the NYC metro.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:47 PM
PDF

Quote:
Well that's because the only other places I've lived other than NYC in my adult life were the Hartford area and Fairfield County....both areas in CT. Both of these areas are much, MUCH less populated than the NYC metro. I mean, the Hartford metro is only 6% of the size of the NYC metro. And Fairfield County at just 4% of the NYC metro.
What I meant was...you've looked at other mid-size cities such as Cleveland and Charlotte and they haven't offered everything you wanted. And it's very hard for a city of those sizes to do that. Where as NYC clearly has all of those things.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
What I meant was...you've looked at other mid-size cities such as Cleveland and Charlotte and they haven't offered everything you wanted. And it's very hard for a city of those sizes to do that. Where as NYC clearly has all of those things.
Well of course NYC offers just about everything. But I already lived there for 2 years and would never, ever want to go back there. It's a truly extreme place to live. A concrete jungle with an extremely high cost of living, the fastest paced lifestyle that exists in the country, etc. Never again! Not once did I ever express interest in living in NYC in these forums. I've been 100% consistent with that and everyone knows it!

Charlotte was just too southern/conservative for me. I just felt out of place, so I didn't choose to settle there, after staying for a month.

Cleveland, I actually really enjoyed and liked. But my general impression was that the city has a long way to go before it reaches "truly desirable" status. The grit is almost all over the place, with horrible roads, depressing, old buildings everywhere, etc. I'm okay with the climate though. Traffic was wonderful...never any backups. The food is excellent, and so is the architecture throughout the city. The lake is nice, too. I really liked CLE. But none of the gays who actually live there, like it....at least not most of the ones I talked with or met. They're always dreaming of moving to the "paradise" of Florida or California, just like every other gay guy in the entire country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.