Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 12:33 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,499,601 times

Advertisements

I was under the impression you wanted to make a go of it in Connecticut, in a place like Hartford or New Haven? Doesn't New Haven have a lot of gay people living there?

Since you tossed some cities out there, I'm going to put in a plug for the ATL. You can still buy a house in a decent 'hood for under $250, although some neighborhoods are screaming hot right now. The political atmosphere inside the Perimeter is quite liberal, although it red-shifts quite rapidly once you leave the boundaries of I-285. I live just outside it, the mix where I live is split 50/50...lol.

I would say the gay community here is vibrant, and it offers something for everyone. It's very deep, too, so finding dates online shouldn't be a problem. Atlanta really is a very easy town to be gay in - aside from Ft Lauderdale, it really the gay mecca of the Southeast. Come to our Pride in October, and you'll see what I mean.

Some things to be concerned about - one is the traffic - living close to work is key to loving or hating it here (trust me on this one.) Two, the summers. If you like heat and humidity, you'll love it here. If not, not so much. Our summers are very long and consistently hot. You'll have to drive to someplace like Highlands, NC or Mt Pisgah to find a cool refuge in summer. The nearest beaches are 4 hours away, dunno if that's a factor for you or not. Atlanta is very car-centric as well, although support for mass transit is growing. You might want to Google the BeltLine to get a glimpse of what this city may grow into in the future, with increasing transit-oriented development and the like. Another negative is our state government, which is dominated by Republicans. But if more people like you move down, we can change that someday.

The economy here is finally operating on 4 cylinders after the brutal depression we had between 2008-2012, and job opportunities are plentiful again, with lots of development going on all over the city. Now probably isn't a bad time to move down here. You should have no problem getting a job in your field (this town is very corporate) and salaries are climbing to competitive levels, imo.

A question if you don't mind - why have you ruled out those cities on your "no-go" list? Just curious.

P.S. I'm pretty sure Delta has non-stop flights to BDL. Our airport rocks - very easy to fly in and out of, and Marta goes right to the terminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 12:50 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,829,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I was under the impression you wanted to make a go of it in Connecticut, in a place like Hartford or New Haven? Doesn't New Haven have a lot of gay people living there?

Since you tossed some cities out there, I'm going to put in a plug for the ATL. You can still buy a house in a decent 'hood for under $250, although some neighborhoods are screaming hot right now. The political atmosphere inside the Perimeter is quite liberal, although it red-shifts quite rapidly once you leave the boundaries of I-285. I live just outside it, the mix where I live is split 50/50...lol.

I would say the gay community here is vibrant, and it offers something for everyone. It's very deep, too, so finding dates online shouldn't be a problem. Atlanta really is a very easy town to be gay in - aside from Ft Lauderdale, it really the gay mecca of the Southeast. Come to our Pride in October, and you'll see what I mean.

Some things to be concerned about - one is the traffic - living close to work is key to loving or hating it here (trust me on this one.) Two, the summers. If you like heat and humidity, you'll love it here. If not, not so much. Our summers are very long and consistently hot. You'll have to drive to someplace like Highlands, NC or Mt Pisgah to find a cool refuge in summer. The nearest beaches are 4 hours away, dunno if that's a factor for you or not. Atlanta is very car-centric as well, although support for mass transit is growing. You might want to Google the BeltLine to get a glimpse of what this city may grow into in the future, with increasing transit-oriented development and the like. Another negative is our state government, which is dominated by Republicans. But if more people like you move down, we can change that someday.

The economy here is finally operating on 4 cylinders after the brutal depression we had between 2008-2012, and job opportunities are plentiful again, with lots of development going on all over the city. Now probably isn't a bad time to move down here. You should have no problem getting a job in your field (this town is very corporate) and salaries are climbing to competitive levels, imo.

A question if you don't mind - why have you ruled out those cities on your "no-go" list? Just curious.

P.S. I'm pretty sure Delta has non-stop flights to BDL. Our airport rocks - very easy to fly in and out of, and Marta goes right to the terminal.
Yes, I am looking for jobs in New Haven and Hartford, merely for the fact that it's my best shot at getting out of Fairfield County within 3 months. New Haven does have a somewhat significant gay population, but I wouldn't call it large and refreshing. Everyone still knows everyone, for the most part. There are some transients, but it's limited. The metro is only about 900K after all.

The cities that I ruled out, I mainly ruled out because they are conservative metros, which I hate!

Old 04-30-2015, 02:33 PM

3,296 posts, read 3,854,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
At 30 you are not going to want to hear this, but to a large extent this is a by-product of aging, not of a gay or straight scene anywhere. Because you are looking within a smaller pool, it just looks more pronounced. The older you get, the harder it is to make friends and meet new people, particularly in your own age range.

We see this in a lot of forum posts where someone has moved to another area and complains about how hard it is to make new friends - well, once you end your school years and move away from where you grew up, you no longer have a circle of ready-made friends and you have to start getting creative with meeting people through work, hobbies or outside interests.

I was thinking sorta the same thing except that it's a lot easier for those under 30 because of what is desired. Don't feel bad, the same can be said about straight women. Gay and straight men want young things. We live in a very age obsessed society.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:49 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,973,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I was thinking sorta the same thing except that it's a lot easier for those under 30 because of what is desired. Don't feel bad, the same can be said about straight women. Gay and straight men want young things. We live in a very age obsessed society.
But 30 can still be seen as young enough...there are lots of 30+ year-olds out partying and looking for each other in larger cities. It's not just 22 year olds.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Atlanta is the one out of that list.
I definitely agree. Atlanta is a great place for gay men.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:21 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,829,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I definitely agree. Atlanta is a great place for gay men.
The only thing about ATL is that it seems way too overwhelming, overcrowded and fast paced for me. I've been there a few times on business. I couldn't believe the traffic volume on the interstates and even the local roads, everywhere I went. The drivers during rush hour are INSANE! I was hoping for a more laid back, manageable metro than ATL. Also, I am not interested in African American men.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:35 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,499,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The only thing about ATL is that it seems way too overwhelming, overcrowded and fast paced for me. I've been there a few times on business. I couldn't believe the traffic volume on the interstates and even the local roads, everywhere I went. The drivers during rush hour are INSANE! I was hoping for a more laid back, manageable metro than ATL. Also, I am not interested in African American men.
Like I said, if you live close to your work, the traffic issue can be mitigated to quite a degree. If you're against big-city traffic, you're going to have to come up with a list of smaller cities (Syracuse, Madison, etc) compared to the big metros you've listed in your OP. Minneapolis MAY be better than most big cities in this regard, but I have no idea if the gay community is large and "refreshing" enough for you. Miami, Seattle, Austin - forget it, those places have some nasty traffic...lol.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:46 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,583,485 times
Quote:
I am staunchly opposed to Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Nashville, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Salt Lake City and Phoenix.
Just curious why for those cities.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:51 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,492,363 times
Quote:
1) Atlanta has plenty of walkable neighborhoods and public transportation.

2) There are plenty of white, Latino, and Asian men in Atlanta too. It's a cosmopolitan city.

3) As a single, gay man in my early 30s, I know very well that many guys our age are married or in long-term relationships. However, the single guys our age are a lot more confident, financially secure, emotionally secure, intelligent, cultured, (and better in bed ) than our younger peers. It's much easier to meet a man of quality at 31 than at 21.

4) Okay, so there are 25 million people within a 100 mile radius of New Haven, CT. If 2.5% of the population are gay men, that means there are over 600,000 gay men within 100 miles of the OP. If he can't find love there, the problem might not be Connecticut after all. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it seems like the OP is a rather negative person. I'd suggest he try changing his attitude before he changes his locale.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 04-30-2015 at 06:16 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
You can easily live in an area like Midtown where you can avoid much of the traffic - and that's the gayest neighborhood in Atlanta. The city is only 32% black, so there are plenty of other choices. I'm not sure why some people think Atlanta is all or even mostly black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.