U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 04:45 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,974,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I still love baseball and I think a lot of other people do too. It is slow and it's really hard going from basketball season to baseball, but I don't think it is actually dying. There will always be older people, and if those are the ones watching it then so be it.

Going to the games is much more fun, but it's really like that with any sport. Nothing is more boring and slow than soccer...how many times can the ball change hands and no one ever score? It's crazy.
I am more of a football and basketball guy, I like baseball but they play too many games the season drags on and on and on, its tiresome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 04:50 PM

6,611 posts, read 7,002,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I am more of a football and basketball guy, I like baseball but they play too many games the season drags on and on and on, its tiresome.
I am too...baseball is very slow compared to football and especially basketball.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:28 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,235,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Add the fact that the Spurs have 4th most titles in the NBA (could have tied for 3rd this season, dammit) and it would make it a lot harder for that franchise to leave San Antonio.
Which is the beauty of moving the team a few dozen miles up the road and having the two cities share the team like Dallas and Fort Worth do with their teams.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:35 PM

6,653 posts, read 8,426,262 times
Quote:
I meant 2 in SoCal...sorry. But the 2 in NoCal are more similar to Austin/San Antonio. Texas is large enough for 4 teams much as California is.

I do think that Austin could support an NBA team. It has the local population necessary and they would undoubtedly give massive support to their first professional sports team.
Technically your theory works if we switch it to MLB from NBA. California leads the nation with 5 MLB teams in the state. Two in Northern California (both in the San Francisco Bay Area) and three in Southern California (two in Greater Los Angeles and one in San Diego).

Old 05-03-2015, 05:35 PM

18,701 posts, read 27,276,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Which is the beauty of moving the team a few dozen miles up the road and having the two cities share the team like Dallas and Fort Worth do with their teams.
Austin and San Antonio is nothing like Dallas and Fort Worth. Downtown Dallas to Downtown Fort Worth are 30 miles apart. However, the city limits of Fort Worth at its most eastern part is only 10 miles apart from the westernmost part of the city limits of Dallas. Downtown Austin to Downtown San Antonio is 80 miles apart. It's apples to oranges.

Dallas and Fort Worth share many things. Austin and San Antonio do not. San Antonio and Bexar county will not see the Spurs leave the county just because of some sort of shared connection with a city 80 miles up the road.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Austin and San Antonio is nothing like Dallas and Fort Worth. Downtown Dallas to Downtown Fort Worth are 30 miles apart. However, the city limits of Fort Worth at its most eastern part is only 10 miles apart from the westernmost part of the city limits of Dallas. Downtown Austin to Downtown San Antonio is 80 miles apart. It's apples to oranges.

Dallas and Fort Worth share many things. Austin and San Antonio do not.
Give it time. It's pretty much one continuous built up area from Waco to San Antonio already.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Not sure I get what you're saying. You're already there if you're talking about a double header. An extra hour bus ride to the airport isn't a big deal if you're talking about a game somewhere else the next day. It's basically the difference between playing in OKC/New Orleans versus Dallas/Houston the next day.

In regards this those American City Biz Journal links are interesting as while it doesn't address this specifically, when looking at everything outside NBA you can see by their rankings Austin is already a more reliable market than San Antonio. The Spurs already have a significantly larger fan base in Austin than other teams. I have trouble imagining Spurs management wouldn't like to try capturing more of that market especially if they can preserve their San Antonio fan base as well especially if the league starts floating the idea of trying to put a team in Austin amongst the owners. That said I don't think a team is likely to happen in Austin proper for a number of reasons.
The Spurs do not need to leave the San Antonio market compromise it's business to keep the Austin fan base. Austin spurs fans will continue to be Spurs fans if they stayed in San Antonio for eternity. How is Austin a more reliable market? It's not as big. UT sports still own that market and they are unwilling to build another arena for an NBA team.

As far as the back to back. The airports are in the general area of those cities. An arena in the middle of two metro areas really is not.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:42 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,258,875 times
Quote:
So you can understand the situation with Hartford but not with Atlanta? The owners were the problem in Atlanta too, not the fan base. Atlanta should have never lost the Thrashers either and with decent owners they wouldn't have moved. Too many people jump to the incorrect conclusion that fans were the problem without fully understanding the situation.
You can't even compare the two. Atlanta is not a good hockey market. Period. That's why Atlanta Spirit Group did not care. They only cared for the Hawks. Hockey in Atlanta is not a good investment and that's why nobody wanted to salvage the franchise. They had 2 teams fail there and Hartford is by far a better market in hockey's standards.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Give it time. It's pretty much one continuous built up area from Waco to San Antonio already.
No it isn't. There is a large gap between Georgetown and Temple with little Salado in the middle. Then there is a gap between Troy and Robinson.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The Spurs do not need to leave the San Antonio market compromise it's business to keep the Austin fan base. Austin spurs fans will continue to be Spurs fans if they stayed in San Antonio for eternity. How is Austin a more reliable market? It's not as big. UT sports still own that market and they are unwilling to build another arena for an NBA team.

As far as the back to back. The airports are in the general area of those cities. An arena in the middle of two metro areas really is not.
Took me two hours to drive from north of Austin to downtown San Antonio yesterday, and I stopped for about 30 minutes in the middle.

As I said the reliability statement was based on the links posted earlier in the thread. They did not rate San Antonio for basketball as it already had a team, but for all other teams Austin scored higher which leads one to believe basketball would be the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or