U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 05:58 PM

6,611 posts, read 7,010,221 times

Advertisements

Here is a list for potential NBA expansion cities from 2011: 10 Potential Cities for NBA Relocation or Expansion | Bleacher Report

And another one from 2012 (when Sacramento was being shopped around) that mentions Austin, but he thinks that El Paso would be a better fit: Sacramento Kings Relocation: 10 Cities Better for the NBA Than Virginia Beach | Bleacher Report
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 06:05 PM

18,702 posts, read 27,298,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Took me two hours to drive from north of Austin to downtown San Antonio yesterday, and I stopped for about 30 minutes in the middle.

As I said the reliability statement was based on the links posted earlier in the thread. They did not rate San Antonio for basketball as it already had a team, but for all other teams Austin scored higher which leads one to believe basketball would be the same.
My point is for a sport that takes up a big part of the year with lots of travel back and forth, I don't think it as a smart business decision to put an NBA team 30-45 miles away from the actual city or downtown. I can't of a team that is far from an actual cohesive population. Putting a team in New Braunfels or San Marcos or even Buda is something i think the Spurs will not take into account at any point in time. It's bad enough that we get in it baseball with the Rangers.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:42 PM
JJG

13,258 posts, read 19,322,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Give it time. It's pretty much one continuous built up area from Waco to San Antonio already.
...what?!?!?

That's a new one. Hell, it feels like forever to get from Waco to Temple and they're just 32 miles apart.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:13 PM

1,743 posts, read 972,199 times
The NBA should expand back to Seattle, and maybe Kansas City or Cincinnati. I think they should also reconsider Vancouver to truly have a Northwest Division.

I think Portland has too great of fans (NBA, MLS...) to not have at least one team in either the NFL, NHL, or MLB. I think the NHL needs to consider Portland before they consider Las Vegas.

For MLB, although relocating would be better than expanding considering how watered down the talent is, I like Portland, San Antonio, Memphis/Nashville, and/or Raleigh/Charlotte.

For the NFL, if the league is going to return to Los Angeles, I think it should be the Raiders. California has enough teams. But I think San Antonio, Salt Lake City, and Omaha would make good NFL markets. See the Omaha Nighthawks of the UFL, who sold out their games at the 24,000-seat Johnny Rosenblatt Stadium for an ALTERNATIVE league team.

And enough with the competition between the University of Texas and a sports team in Austin. The Longhorns haven't been dominant in the past few years, and the past championship for a major team hasn't been hoisted in 10 years. The city proper alone has over 900,000 people and still has no major league sports team to speak of. What kind of sport should invest in Austin? I think: 1. NBA 2. MLS 3. MLB 4. NHL/NLL/MLL/AFL 5. NFL - which I think is done growing.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:20 PM

825 posts, read 494,820 times
For the NFL, I think LA, Vegas, or Portland would work. If you look at a map, the teams are concentrated towards the east.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:24 PM

1,743 posts, read 972,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sir View Post
For the NFL, I think LA, Vegas, or Portland would work. If you look at a map, the teams are concentrated towards the east.
Yep, that's why a lot of available big cities that could support a pro football team are in the west: Portland, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, Tucson maybe, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Omaha, etc.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:21 PM

6,024 posts, read 7,402,442 times
I would love to see the NHL go back to Quebec City. It would be great to restart that Habs vs Nordiques rivalry.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:44 AM

21,579 posts, read 22,204,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Kansas City and Atlanta are NEVER going to get an NHL team. Atlanta is not meant to be a good hockey market.
I could see KC getting a hockey team at some point, but Atlanta is not a good choice unless some other city just wants to incubate a team there until they get their own arena built, too many failed opportunities for Atlanta in the past, they obviously don't like hockey and letting them try out another team won't change that, better to give a team to Kamloops.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:47 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,649,280 times
Seattle and Vegas are obvious choices for NBA, IMO.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:26 PM

21,381 posts, read 30,787,843 times
Quite frankly I can't see any city without a current pro sports franchise landing a new NBA team when there are proven sports towns like Seattle, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Nashville or Kansas City lacking one. One also has to figure in a 30 team league with six divisions of five that in order to keep any kind of regularity of schedule having at least two new teams start is going to be a necessity. Given the well-documented uproar over the loss of the Sonics and the city's financial demographics Seattle would have to be a shoo-in. I cannot imagine any of the four other cities could be overlooked in favor of a city with no track record with pro franchises (Austin or El Paso) and demographics unlikely to cast enough support consistently (Las Vegas). Nashville has arguably the inside track in my opinion if interested given it's attendance numbers with the NFL and NHL (mid-pack) given it's "smaller market" size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or