U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 01:30 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,987,879 times

Advertisements

They need less pro sports teams as it is, the competition is watered down enough. I like watching college sports way better although the NFL is pretty amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 01:42 PM

6,611 posts, read 7,019,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Quite frankly I can't see any city without a current pro sports franchise landing a new NBA team when there are proven sports towns like Seattle, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Nashville or Kansas City lacking one. One also has to figure in a 30 team league with six divisions of five that in order to keep any kind of regularity of schedule having at least two new teams start is going to be a necessity. Given the well-documented uproar over the loss of the Sonics and the city's financial demographics Seattle would have to be a shoo-in. I cannot imagine any of the four other cities could be overlooked in favor of a city with no track record with pro franchises (Austin or El Paso) and demographics unlikely to cast enough support consistently (Las Vegas). Nashville has arguably the inside track in my opinion if interested given it's attendance numbers with the NFL and NHL (mid-pack) given it's "smaller market" size.
I've experienced a city that got it's first professional team...and the support is always amazing. People who haven't had a home team to cheer for come out in droves to support the new team. It's a very exciting time...so even though a city may not have a proven track record with pro sports, the support is often overwhelming and probably better than in a city used to having pro sports.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:28 PM
JJG

13,261 posts, read 19,342,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
They need less pro sports teams as it is, the competition is watered down enough. I like watching college sports way better although the NFL is pretty amazing.
Money talks...

So there will be no downsizing.

Last edited by JJG; 05-04-2015 at 06:22 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 06:07 PM

2,737 posts, read 2,418,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Quite frankly I can't see any city without a current pro sports franchise landing a new NBA team when there are proven sports towns like Seattle, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Nashville or Kansas City lacking one. One also has to figure in a 30 team league with six divisions of five that in order to keep any kind of regularity of schedule having at least two new teams start is going to be a necessity. Given the well-documented uproar over the loss of the Sonics and the city's financial demographics Seattle would have to be a shoo-in. I cannot imagine any of the four other cities could be overlooked in favor of a city with no track record with pro franchises (Austin or El Paso) and demographics unlikely to cast enough support consistently (Las Vegas). Nashville has arguably the inside track in my opinion if interested given it's attendance numbers with the NFL and NHL (mid-pack) given it's "smaller market" size.
The thing is... a market that already has one or more pro teams might not be able to support another... or at least not support one as well as some of the bigger markets without a sports team (Austin, Louisville, Las Vegas, Birmingham, Virginia Beach, etc)

For instance, St. Louis has three pro sports teams already with a metro area a touch under 3 million. Adding a fourth would give you about 750,000 people per pro team. Compare that with the metro areas I listed which are all significantly larger than 750,000. There are only so many dollars in a metro area to go around. I realize this is not the only factor, but it is a factor. The NBA has done pretty well in cities without other pro teams... San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Sacramento, Orlando, and Memphis all come to mind.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:41 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,663,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
The NBA has done pretty well in cities without other pro teams... San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Sacramento, Orlando, and Memphis all come to mind.
Portland as well. NBA teams in those cities do amazingly well. At the same time, I don't think most of those cities could support another pro team. Part of the reason they do so well is because they are the only game in town.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:48 PM

20 posts, read 11,694 times
NBA to 32- Seattle, Kansas City
MLB to 32- Charlotte, Portland
NFL to 36- St. Louis (Rams are prob going to LA), San Antonio, Portland, Salt Lake City
NHL to 32- Seattle, Quebec City
MLS to 28- (Move LAFC to San Diego), Phoenix, St. Louis, San Antonio, Sacramento

Old 05-04-2015, 07:17 PM
JJG

13,261 posts, read 19,342,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazedfire View Post
MLS to 28- (Move LAFC to San Diego), Phoenix, St. Louis, San Antonio, Sacramento
Replace Phoenix with Indy...

Old 05-04-2015, 07:56 PM

925 posts, read 677,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
It was the utter lack of management of these 2 hockey franchises, both management teams were a joke. Atlanta loves Hockey and could certainly support one since there are millions of transplants from northern regions.
Hockey will never make it at Phillips Arena. Gonna have to try it in the 'burbs if there is a next time!

Old 05-04-2015, 08:09 PM

6,611 posts, read 7,019,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
Hockey will never make it at Phillips Arena. Gonna have to try it in the 'burbs if there is a next time!
I'm not sure about absolutely not making it at Phillips (because it was doing okay before even with a losing team), but it actually might be a better fit somewhere like Cobb or North Fulton.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:22 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,868,595 times
Any city "can use" a professional sports team. The question is, can the professional sports leagues use that city, and the potential earnings that city's fan base can generate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or