U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-09-2015, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,407 posts, read 7,086,376 times
Reputation: 3542

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
5 years (or even 10) isn't a long time for a franchise to be "100% safe" in their location. They're not even at a point where a groundbreaking on an LA stadium is set or even a certainty. In terms of development, 5 years is nothing and the stadium may not even be open by that time. A lot can change in that amount of time. The only thing that won't change is that Jacksonville will remain a small media market which is not something the NFL is keen on. I doubt the Chargers or Raiders go. The Rams may leave. However, even if the Rams go to LA, St. Louis will be looking to fill the void and the Jaguars would be a candidate to be that team.
I was being very literal and realistic when I said that. There are many franchises in the same position and a few in more precarious situations. Put another way, in five years, more likely than not, the jags will again be completely safe in jax for another 5-10 years. Depends on a few things though, we shall see.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2015, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Somerville, MA
8,154 posts, read 16,238,031 times
Reputation: 9535
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I was being very literal and realistic when I said that. There are many franchises in the same position and a few in more precarious situations. Put another way, in five years, more likely than not, the jags will again be completely safe in jax for another 5-10 years. Depends on a few things though, we shall see.
That's all fair and true. We just don't know what will happen by then.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 10:12 AM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 10,647,113 times
Reputation: 6615
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
It's honestly very up in the air.

As for paying for it, the last figures I saw broke it down like this

Stadium: $985 million
*$460 to $535 million from extending the bonds on the Edward Jones Dome and tax credits
*$400 to $450 million from the NFL and the Rams
*$130 million coming from seat licenses

Some 6 Missouri law makers have filed suit in attempt to block the extension of the Jones Dome bonds, but the Governor intends to steamroll over them if he can. He claims they couldn't do anything in the legislature when they had the chance, they're bitter KC Chiefs fans, and that the law is on his side. We shall see though.

As for the part of the city that the stadium would be built, apparently about 50 buildings would need to come down, but all but 3 are vacant.
That looks awesome if it gets built.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 08:31 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,491 posts, read 2,264,261 times
Reputation: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Thanks for the reply. When I visited St. Louis in the 80's I was amazed at the decay. Then I returned in 2012 and found that many of those old neighborhoods were gaining new life. While I am a Seattleite, and yes, a Seahawks fan, I can understand what St. Louis has gone through. I only wish you guys the best. The area still offers many attributes, as in my 2012 trip I centered it more toward the parks in central city. Very beautiful. St. Louis was, and can be a major city again. It just takes the right investors and the right civic point of mind among current residents. While this is a sports thread, I think all this ties together.
The city definitely seems to be in the process of rounding the corner as it were. Many neighborhoods definitely pulled themselves back together since the 80s, and in the last 6 months or so it's definitely been nice to come home and see cranes all over the place in some parts of town.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 08:58 PM
 
Location: WA Desert, Seattle native
5,832 posts, read 3,882,294 times
Reputation: 4359
Yes! Good luck to you guys (and gals). Except for Rams-Hawks matchups.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 05:58 AM
 
21,379 posts, read 30,780,231 times
Reputation: 19937
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
5 years (or even 10) isn't a long time for a franchise to be "100% safe" in their location. They're not even at a point where a groundbreaking on an LA stadium is set or even a certainty. In terms of development, 5 years is nothing and the stadium may not even be open by that time. A lot can change in that amount of time. The only thing that won't change is that Jacksonville will remain a small media market which is not something the NFL is keen on. I doubt the Chargers or Raiders go. The Rams may leave. However, even if the Rams go to LA, St. Louis will be looking to fill the void and the Jaguars would be a candidate to be that team.
The Jaguars lease with the city of Jacksonville expires in 2030 which is 15 years from now, and early termination prior would result in an additional cost of $100 million dollars virtually loophole free. It would be messy and too costly to attempt. Furthermore fan support for the Jaguars extends well beyond the somewhat geographically limited Jacksonville TV market into the Orlando/East Central Florida area, which is the 19th largest TV market in the country. The Jags current starting QB (Blake Bortles) was a local HS/college star in the Orlando area and as a result added considerable interest to the Jags franchise locally. There's a bitter rivalry from a Central Florida perspective with both South Florida and to a bit lesser degree Tampa, and minus an NFL franchise locally many are supporting Jacksonville, which will only multiply over the next 10-15 years as this area leads the nation in population growth.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 10:13 AM
 
325 posts, read 205,636 times
Reputation: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio is ready for NFL, the city is football crazy and the city has proven itself as a viable market, sellouts for several NFL exhibition games, and a high rating bowl game the, Alamo Bowl. Size an economic strength doesn't seem to be what's hindering the city from landing a team.........
The NFL is not coming to San Antonio. You have to realize when you are being used as leverage (i.e. Raiders discussion) and when you are actually "in the market". San Antonio has never really been "in the market", aside from that embarrassing time you tried to poach the New Orleans Saints right after Hurricane Katrina (yes, most of the country noticed, and yes, it made your city leadership look terrible).

The city is too poor, too small, and has a crappy old stadium. It is no more part of Austin than Philadelphia is part of New York City. Nobody is investing $2B to move a team there, and expansion is, per the commissioner, done. Enjoy the Cowboys and Texans.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,576 posts, read 22,198,678 times
Reputation: 34072
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Jaguars lease with the city of Jacksonville expires in 2030 which is 15 years from now, and early termination prior would result in an additional cost of $100 million dollars virtually loophole free. It would be messy and too costly to attempt. Furthermore fan support for the Jaguars extends well beyond the somewhat geographically limited Jacksonville TV market into the Orlando/East Central Florida area, which is the 19th largest TV market in the country. The Jags current starting QB (Blake Bortles) was a local HS/college star in the Orlando area and as a result added considerable interest to the Jags franchise locally. There's a bitter rivalry from a Central Florida perspective with both South Florida and to a bit lesser degree Tampa, and minus an NFL franchise locally many are supporting Jacksonville, which will only multiply over the next 10-15 years as this area leads the nation in population growth.
Really, a $100 million penalty to break the lease is not much of factor to a potential owner in a relocated JAX franchise to LA considering the potential uptick in revnue from it's current location. That number will keep getting smaller and smaller each year. Furthermore, that penalty would be reduced by 40% if the team lost money one year and, was below the NFL avg in the following two years. This scenario is not beyong the possibility of ocurring, but to prove this, the Jags (and likely the entire NFL) would have to open their financial books to prove that this has ocurred. The NFL simply will never allow that to happen. Jacksonville is not moving, not next year, not in 5 years, not in 10 years...

Jaguars' lease makes it costly to leave Jacksonville before 2030 | jacksonville.com
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,407 posts, read 7,086,376 times
Reputation: 3542
^^You guys know your stuff.

Not to mention that instead of preparing to move the team, Khan has spent approximately $30 million to upgrade team facilities, locker room, and the stadium. He's planning to front another ~$15 million for further improvements, and he's working hard on an >hundred million dollar waterfront development project similar to Jeff Vinik's plans in Tampa. He has also invested in the range of $5-10 million on local businesses and startup projects. Oh yeah, and he's spent a lot of time and money in recruiting business to the area, particularly in Western Europe through his Jags in London initiative.

Now, it's not all roses...he's come under fire for how he's treated some of those business "partners" and his waterfront development project is seeking a rather outsized amount of subsidies from the city. But nevertheless, his investment in the area is unmistakable and from a business-sense, entirely tied to his vision for growth for his billion-dollar franchise.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 03:28 PM
 
325 posts, read 205,636 times
Reputation: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
^^You guys know your stuff.

Not to mention that instead of preparing to move the team, Khan has spent approximately $30 million to upgrade team facilities, locker room, and the stadium. He's planning to front another ~$15 million for further improvements, and he's working hard on an >hundred million dollar waterfront development project similar to Jeff Vinik's plans in Tampa. He has also invested in the range of $5-10 million on local businesses and startup projects. Oh yeah, and he's spent a lot of time and money in recruiting business to the area, particularly in Western Europe through his Jags in London initiative.

Now, it's not all roses...he's come under fire for how he's treated some of those business "partners" and his waterfront development project is seeking a rather outsized amount of subsidies from the city. But nevertheless, his investment in the area is unmistakable and from a business-sense, entirely tied to his vision for growth for his billion-dollar franchise.
Investing around $50 million in an asset worth over $1 billion is not particularly noteworthy - especially when those investments improve profitability (better facilities = better players) and the physical part of that asset (Gator Bowl) is decrepit and under the microscope for being one of the worst stadiums in the league's smallest market.

I personally do not think the Jaguars are going anywhere for around a decade - the LA drama has to settle and the Raiders have to be placated somehow. But let's be honest - if any team can move and not be missed in America (or significantly effect the NFL's profitability), it is the Jaguars. They will always be first in the chamber for as an international franchise, and the economic return of a move to, say London, far offset whatever silly payments might be due to Duval county for leaving the ol' Gator Bowl.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top