U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-13-2016, 09:17 AM
 
3,618 posts, read 1,595,568 times
Reputation: 2202

Advertisements

next stop london .

"the minnesota lakers moved to LA where there are no lakes. the houston oilers moved to tennessee where there is no oil, the new orleans jazz moved to salt lake city where they dont allow music" lol


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivzrbp_WR8w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2016, 10:11 AM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 10,625,840 times
Reputation: 6615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Are the Raiders contingent on the Chargers deal, or are they mutually exclusive?
Chargers have first option. Raiders could potentially join the Rams in LA if the Chargers work something out in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2016, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,626 posts, read 10,405,310 times
Reputation: 9959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Are the Raiders contingent on the Chargers deal, or are they mutually exclusive?
It's a weird scenario. The Chargers have the right of first refusal to work out a deal with Kroenke. If they can't make a deal by next January, then the Raiders get a chance to play stadium roulette.

Neither team is required to move to LA. They can both stay where they are and they'll get money from the league (reportedly at least $100 million per) to build new stadiums in their home markets.

Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I personally don't see St. Louis getting another NFL franchise within my lifetime. The league essentially wrote off St. Louis as a viable market after the Cardinals bolted. The threat of litigation was the only reason the Rams relo was permitted in the first place. I think London, Canada (Toronto/Vancouver), San Antonio, and Portland are higher up the food chain than St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2016, 10:44 AM
 
4,024 posts, read 3,560,122 times
Reputation: 6494
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
It's a weird scenario. The Chargers have the right of first refusal to work out a deal with Kroenke. If they can't make a deal by next January, then the Raiders get a chance to play stadium roulette.

Neither team is required to move to LA. They can both stay where they are and they'll get money from the league (reportedly at least $100 million per) to build new stadiums in their home markets.

Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I personally don't see St. Louis getting another NFL franchise within my lifetime. The league essentially wrote off St. Louis as a viable market after the Cardinals bolted. The threat of litigation was the only reason the Rams relo was permitted in the first place. I think London, Canada (Toronto/Vancouver), San Antonio, and Portland are higher up the food chain than St. Louis.
St Louis is a decent sized market with enough fan support from a multi state area to support a team. There are a few teams that are itching to move and St Louis would be a viable candidate given market size. Buffalo is a possibility, Oakland if they don't land in LA or can't work out a deal. Even San Diego could still bolt if they don't end up in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2016, 10:53 AM
 
1,709 posts, read 1,691,500 times
Reputation: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
St Louis is a decent sized market with enough fan support from a multi state area to support a team. There are a few teams that are itching to move and St Louis would be a viable candidate given market size. Buffalo is a possibility, Oakland if they don't land in LA or can't work out a deal. Even San Diego could still bolt if they don't end up in LA.
Nice one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2016, 11:03 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
403 posts, read 460,386 times
Reputation: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Cities that could use a professional sports team in NBA, MLS, MLB, NFL, NHL.

Which cities that lack a team in any of the 5 above professional leagues could stand to gain a team?

Support your reasoning, I guess, by supporting evidence of why that sport would be popular there or what the attendance figure would be like.

This thread is for all cities by the way, from as large as New York to as tiny as where ever is last in the continent (yes, thread is about North America). Obviously market size would be a deterrent for small cities but that not-withstanding all places are included.
San Antonio could use more than just an NBA team
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2016, 11:30 AM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,488 posts, read 2,257,843 times
Reputation: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
St Louis is a decent sized market with enough fan support from a multi state area to support a team. There are a few teams that are itching to move and St Louis would be a viable candidate given market size. Buffalo is a possibility, Oakland if they don't land in LA or can't work out a deal. Even San Diego could still bolt if they don't end up in LA.
St. Louis certainly can support a team, which was highlighted when the Rams weren't absolute crap for a decade, but it also appears that St. Louis is taking itself out of the running.
St. Louis mayor slams NFL, says he's done with league after Rams vote : News

Maybe the city will aim for a soccer team instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2016, 01:01 PM
 
4,426 posts, read 4,655,944 times
Reputation: 3882
I strongly believe Seattle needs a NHL team. It's a natural, a large metro near the Canadian border. It makes more sense than some of the smaller sunbelt markets the NHL has expanded to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2016, 02:16 PM
 
133 posts, read 102,491 times
Reputation: 167
Sacramento could use the Oakland Raiders. Many relocating out of the Bay area to Sac town.
Virginia Beach Basketball .Once talks of luring the Kings and Clippers but of course it failed.
St Louis Basketball for sure.
Seattle NHL would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2016, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,379,850 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
San Antonio could use more than just an NBA team
Why though? Dallas and Houston aren't far away and have both baseball and football teams. I can see the argument for SA but not because it only has 1 pro team. Austin has 0 teams and it's bigger, no? As always it'll come down to how much market share it can ADD, not take away from another region (like Dallas and Houston). I suppose if you put a team in the middle of those two cities (San Marcos?) and it represented Southern TX then maybe I can see that being a viable argument for a team.

But hey, who knows what the NFL will do these days to make more money.....maybe they'll expand the league by 8 teams (one in each division).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top